Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon July 16th, 2018, 03:13 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Track Talk 13: I & I
PostPosted: Sat May 23rd, 2009, 07:42 GMT 

General thoughts or comments on this track? Any live renditions to post, that are quite worthy! MEZ

Post subject: Re: Track Talk 13: I & I
PostPosted: Sat May 23rd, 2009, 07:59 GMT 

I used to like this one quite a lot, but I've grown to be less impressed. It seems to me to be an attempt to consciously try and write a mystical lyric where the substance is absent.

Obviously there are the links to Rastarfarianism and the mythical version of King David, but I don't really think the song is saying anything, though it pretends to.

I think it sounds ok, though I it does make me fondly wish that Dylan had done his take on reggae music in the mid 70s, rather than the early 80s.

PostPosted: Sat May 23rd, 2009, 10:30 GMT 

Always thought this was kind of overrated when i see lists of this being one of this best songs... it's good but not top 20 or 30 material imho.

PostPosted: Sat May 23rd, 2009, 13:00 GMT 

One of my favorite 80s tracks, love the Real Live version.

PostPosted: Sat May 23rd, 2009, 14:54 GMT 

Nothing beats the feb 1993 versions

PostPosted: Sun May 24th, 2009, 01:48 GMT 

"Someone else is speaking with my mouth, but I'm listening only with my heart."

This cryptic lyric of displacement and pessimistic narcissism characterizes the song for me, never able to reconcile
one's external and internal struggles with identity.
It's quite a nasty angry song, with the only redemption being the "strange woman" waiting
for his return from the evils outside.

Bob rightfully tore the song apart, put it back together in 93 and destroyed it again to create a perfect hard rock song out of it.
I've never been a fan of the album Infidels but I rate the songs quite highly,
and a lot of that comes from the NET.
Those 93 versions are great but 95 is where I find a lot of my favorite versions of it.
Here's one from March 23rd, 95.
Again, Bucky Baxter....

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0u09qe

PostPosted: Sun May 24th, 2009, 01:57 GMT 

Great rendition marker thanks MEZ

PostPosted: Sun May 24th, 2009, 02:31 GMT 

Ok, I am going to be different here - that live version does not add anything much to me.

It's fine - I'd love to hear him play it - but to me it doesn't re-define the song.

I like the original version fine, one of his best from the 80s. Walk through a desolate part of town on a windy, rainy night with that song blaring out of your ipod - you'll get it.

Now - but what I would love even more is a de-1980'ed version of Infidels with all the good songs actually on the album.

PostPosted: Sun May 24th, 2009, 04:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Incoherent claptwaddle, but you can dance to it. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 24th, 2009, 16:04 GMT 

I've never heard much in this song, but everyone else seems to like it so I may be missing something. To me, the lyrics are a bit silly and there is no melody to speak of. But what do I know?

PostPosted: Sun May 24th, 2009, 16:09 GMT 

I've always like the imagery as a whole, the one-night-stand in his bed, him leaving and walking around, not really caring one way or the other about her, or even who she is. I know there must be some deep double meaning in the song, but I never looked for it. I'm content with the skin, no need for the bones.

PostPosted: Mon May 25th, 2009, 00:56 GMT 

Apparently I & I is shorthand for man & god in rastafarianism. I never really got that from the song.

PostPosted: Mon May 25th, 2009, 01:40 GMT 

Not John Irving wrote:
I used to like this one quite a lot, but I've grown to be less impressed. It seems to me to be an attempt to consciously try and write a mystical lyric where the substance is absent.

Obviously there are the links to Rastarfarianism and the mythical version of King David, but I don't really think the song is saying anything, though it pretends to.

I think it sounds ok, though I it does make me fondly wish that Dylan had done his take on reggae music in the mid 70s, rather than the early 80s.

When Track Talk gets around to Ain't Talkin', could somebody please repost this verbatim, with the King David and Rastafarian references edited out? Thanks! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 25th, 2009, 12:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

My favorite performances were with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. The song is just fine...lots of interesting Biblical images and turns of phrase.

PostPosted: Mon May 25th, 2009, 20:35 GMT 

Always thought it held an interesting parallel (particularly in the opening lines) with Joan Baez's LOVE SONG TO A STRANGER. I wonder if a lot 60s icons felt the same way at a certain point in their lives. Love had once been so free and then everyone became an island unto himself, always on his guard, hanging on to a shadow.

PostPosted: Wed July 6th, 2011, 17:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

From the July 2, 1986 show in Akron, Ohio...

Been so long since a strange woman has slept in my bed, Bob quickly slips in "Just last night" :shock:

:lol:

I suspect very few people caught it at the time but it is very audible and as clear as a bell.

This of course was during the aforementioned tour with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. Overall, its a pretty consistent tour and I and I is done very well throughout. If you like one, you'll probably enjoy them all. If not, this may not be the tour for you to download lock, stock, and barrell.

PostPosted: Wed July 6th, 2011, 18:40 GMT 

I love this song, very dark and cryptic with some great phrases. It's one of those that I feel loses a lot of weight as a song in concert due to it being stripped of some of its best lines, such as this magnificent verse:

Took an untrodden path once, where the swift don’t win the race
It goes to the worthy, who can divide the word of truth
Took a stranger to teach me, to look into justice’s beautiful face
And to see an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth

That said, performance wise, it's always been stellar, except I'm not a fan of the initial performances from 1984, which to me feel kind of dead. Petty and the Heartbreakers helped give it the respect it deserves in a live treatment, and I first fell in love with the song from the True Confessions boot. 1987 saw them bring the song to even greater heights.

When the song came back in the early 1990s', it had an even darker spirit to it, similar to "Ain't Talkin'" in mood and, as a result, content. 1993 brought some very fiery renditions, with Bob giving some of the most expressive vocals of the NET, as if he's fighting through the 'smoke rings' of his mind that had obscured his artistic prowess for the last eight or so years.

The song continued on this past throughout the next two years, popping up regularly, always given a compelling and commanding reading by Bob.

All these reinventions culminated into the final, definitive performance of the song, on November 10, 1999, in New Haven, Connecticut. Not a heavy rendition by any means, but rather a more mellow, quietly sinister take on the song, with a breathy, spectre-like vocal by Bob:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1ub5sik1w ... nd%20I.m4a

PostPosted: Wed July 6th, 2011, 18:57 GMT 

feet_of_a_harlot wrote:
Nothing beats the feb 1993 versions

brussels 1995 is even better :-)

PostPosted: Wed July 6th, 2011, 19:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

My memory is the year 93, when Winston W. broke his drumsticks ..... behind a red light. I would like to share with you what I feel:

http://youtu.be/TdcLGp3wOC0

PostPosted: Thu July 14th, 2011, 16:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

"I and I" always reminded me of this quote from the Bible: when Moses asks God what should He be called:

"God said to Moses: I am Who am. Thus shall you say to the Children of Israel: He who is, has sent me to you." That is one of my favorite lines from the Bible, how cryptic can you get? So Dylanesque! ... "I am Who am."

The people of Israel thought that if you looked upon the face of Yahweh you would die. "One says to the other, no man sees my face and lives"

{This was today's Mass reading, and as always, it made me think of "I and I". Thought I had recently seen a thread on this song.}

PostPosted: Thu July 14th, 2011, 17:09 GMT 

I don't know about Rastafarianism, but the Biblical references are obvious. Myself, I always thought this song was a pretty clear-cut rumination on creativity - more specifically, the cost that art extracts from the artist.

I and I, in creation where one's nature neither honors nor fogives
I and I, one said to the other no man sees my face and lives

'Creation' could here refer to existence itself of course. But it could also refer to the ACT of artistic creation. The final line suggesting that Bob the artist (one 'I') destroys Bob the man (the other 'I').

This interpretation would seem to be confirmed by the final verse:

Noontime, I'm still pushing myself down the road to darkest parts
Into the narrow lanes, i can't stumble or stay put
Someone else is speaking with my mouth but I'm listening only to my heart
I make shoes for everyone, even you, while I still go barefoot

The split persona arises again in the penultimate line (the artist sings, the man cavils); the artist 'makes shoes,' yet has none for himself. His creations gratify the hearts of others, while he wanders - pardon the pun - unconsoled.

The other verses, with their preoccupation with loneliness and isolation, can be read as further elaborations on the emotional costs of a life given over to art, including the burdens of the road.

How God fits into all this is an interesting question, but this reading always resonated with me as a pretty coherent statement.

PostPosted: Fri July 15th, 2011, 00:24 GMT 

I have enjoyed quite a few live versions over the years, but in my opinion none of them match the greatness of the album version.

PostPosted: Fri July 15th, 2011, 00:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

Knopfler's guitar helps make the studio a beautiful thing to behold. The tours with Petty took a reggae approach to the song. I'd love to hear a blues version. HINT. HINT. HINT.

(We all know Bob reads these boards to decide what he should do next.)

PostPosted: Fri July 15th, 2011, 01:46 GMT 

I thought the studio record was rhythmically very dull but I always liked the lyric. That's a man carrying a big load of guilt. Even his joys are joyless.

PostPosted: Fri July 15th, 2011, 13:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

Lone Pilgrim wrote:
His creations gratify the hearts of others, while he wanders - pardon the pun - unconsoled.

The other verses, with their preoccupation with loneliness and isolation, can be read as further elaborations on the emotional costs of a life given over to art, including the burdens of the road.

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about ! That is a very insightful interpretation of a very cryptic song.

A few months ago a musician friend of mine asked me "Can you imagine what it must be like to be Dylan?" Truthfully, I had never given that any thought, but his remark did cause me to start thinking about it.

It seems to me that Bob has sacrified alot for his art. He is SO famous and revered that it is hard for people to even conceive of him as just a man. That must be so hard on him.

This is one thing I have wondered about: you know how Bob will just bare his soul sometimes when he is performing. But on the other hand, he doesn't want to ever have to talk about his songs.... Did you ever, say, write a really passionate letter and then be kind of embarassed to see the person you sent it to? I think that maybe Bob feels like that...he will let us all see EVERYTHING when he is singing...but then he doesn't want to have to talk about it. I wonder if that is part of his desire to be left alone. I can understand him feeling that way, and admire him for having the guts to share his most private feelings with all of us.