Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun November 18th, 2018, 08:00 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1966 and all that......
PostPosted: Wed April 20th, 2005, 08:07 GMT 

Firstly, I know this doesn't REALY matter and we'll never know for sure but every time i listen to disc 1 of LIVE 66 i always wonder just how wasted he realy was. On the one hand you read in books like Behind The Shades that he was almost living on a cocktail of drugs and yet that performance?!!...... His vocal although sounding quite stoned, is so clear and precise, His guitar and harmonica playing accurate and not at all ragged like in previous years. Are we told these stories as "part of the Dylan myth?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 20th, 2005, 08:41 GMT 

I saw him in '66 and he was definitely fcuked up..but he was/is very good at what he does and the dope he was on didnt negatively affect his performance. Dope in the sixties was better/cleaner than the shit today--

some of the other bootlegs from '66 have some rapping he was doing for the audience about "drug songs" -Sounds so weird he is denying drug references in his lyrics while at the same time he sounds so obviously and elegantly wasted.

And you're right, it doesnt REALLY matter anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 20th, 2005, 13:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well put, GFD. You are so right about cleaner and better. Look at Clapton for crying out loud. All messed up on junk while w/Cream and Derek and the Dominos, couldn't be beat. Once he cleaned up, couldn't do crap, as far as I'm concerned. Creative inspiration sometimes comes from altering the reality of the mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 20th, 2005, 14:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

In fact, Clapton did not start using heroin until 1970. Acid was Cream's drug of choice.

You can hear the negative effect of drugs on Clapton's playing on some of the live Dominoes cuts, particularly the live Little Wing (not on the official live album). Just which drug is not clear, but I'd guess it was smack, as the playing is a bit slow and woozy. Pot/Acid/Cocaine would have a different sort of impact in most cases.

By all accounts, Dylan's drugs of choice in the sixties were pot, acid, and speed. There's a scene in Eat the Document where Rick Danko and I think Richard Manuel snort a line in a cafe, coke most likely.

The quality of Dylan's voice is probably the result of pot, maybe a little wine, amphetamine, and lack of sleep. This combination of stimulants and depressants sort of even him out. The acoustic 1966 songs are mostly exquisite, but the harmonica playing is maybe where the drug impact is most audible. The guitar playing is pretty simple, simpler than most of the studio recordings of the same material. The vocals are mostly a matter of choice to my ears, maybe affected a little by a more relaxed throat and some sinus irritation.

I think Bob was being sincere in his rap about not writing drug songs. Most of the literary technique in the songs come from poetry and other songs, not drugs, and his use of these techniques predates his heavy drug use. Blake, Rimbaud, Ginsberg and Kerouac are more influential on the songs than any drug.

The capacity of drugs to enhance musical creativity is real but hard to control, and most musicians are weaker than most drugs, including alcohol.

Still, I'm not anti-drug, just anti-drug abuse.

And let's not underestimate the psychedlic properties of music itself. Playing music with others, or solo, can be an illuminating experience on the basis of sound alone. Sometimes after a show, I feel like a completely different person than when I started an hour or so prior, usually in a pretty good way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 20th, 2005, 15:15 GMT 

I think he was probaly on a cocktail of drugs to keep him going, he was tyred and had alot of work to do in the coming months after that tour.

then the motocycel acsodent gave him an scape goat to put all that long hard work to come to an end. He was tryed and i think he probaly would have had an nervouse breakdown if he hadn't had the acsodednt it just happening is a sighn that he was tyred and wasted at that time

I do think that the time he stayed at a doctore house after the acsodent was a cold turkey time for him. or a time for him to recooporate.

:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 20th, 2005, 17:13 GMT 

Interesting. I reckon that although a certain amount of 'medicine' would be needed to keep up the incredible pace of that tour, I doubt a cocktail would be necessary. He was pushing it to it's limits, man. Nice one dwarf, you are a lucky so and so to have seen him in 66. I wasn't even born for another 13 years! Guess i definitely missed the good drugs then! Anybody else see him in the 60's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 20th, 2005, 18:52 GMT 

In the sixties the Crystal Methedrine was REAL Crystal Methedrine, manufactured by a pharmaceutical company in a genuine labratory out of quality chemicals. It wasnt made in some gacked out loser's basement out of cleaning solvent, battery acid and bug spray.

When you did the real deal, man, you were good to go. There was nothing you couldn't do. Jack Kennedy would go get a jolt of that stuff and then go hammer on Marilynn Monroe for a couple of days-bad back and all, and still run the country, make speeches and all that!
For sure Bob Dylan could wobble around on stage and sing Visions Of Johanna and Tell Me Momma-dont imagine he ate much, though, being as he prolly only weighed about 120 lbs in '66 lol..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat April 23rd, 2005, 21:18 GMT 

hmm first of all i sure hope harmonica albert was joking when he says that drugs can be good. they killed so many great people, look at what jimi hendrix or jim morrison could have achieved if there substance abuse had not ended there lives. and dont forget that led zeppelin would not have broken up in the earlie eighties had their drummer john bonahm had not overdosed. and lastly when the who lost keith moon to drugs bassicily killed their creative ability, I know u said ur against abusing drugs but just taking them once can kill you. now back to dylan in the sixties i always figured he was using some amphetamines to keep him going for the most part. and his drug use is very evident onthe electric side of live 66. after leopard skin pillbox he just mumbles incoherently for awile. so im sure he was stoned during the accoustic part too.

Post subject: mumbling
PostPosted: Sun April 24th, 2005, 03:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bob wasn't mumbling because he was on drugs. He was using an old public speakers' trick to make the audience quiet down. Instead of talking louder to make himself heard, he talked softer. When the audience could see he was talking but they couldn't hear it, that made them think they were missing something; so they quieted down to hear what it was. When Bob finally raised his voice to say "...IF YOU JUST WOULDN'T CLAP SO HARD..." the audience knew the joke was on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 26th, 2005, 15:31 GMT 

I've heard that during Live in 75 Dylans drug was cocaine......and he contiued abusing the substance until the death of his friend Jerry Garcia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 26th, 2005, 18:55 GMT 

Yea i heard that in the 75 tour they had a special room that they went in, to sniff it up. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2005, 01:07 GMT 

MaggiesFarm17 wrote:
I've heard that during Live in 75 Dylans drug was cocaine......and he contiued abusing the substance until the death of his friend Jerry Garcia.

Shheeeesh, that must'a been some church he was tangled up with when he was in his gospel phase if he was doing weasle dust. I guess in Los Angeles anything is possible. Even Jesus Freaks whacked out on coke...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2005, 07:54 GMT 

Dylan's Angel wrote:
Yea i heard that in the 75 tour they had a special room that they went in, to sniff it up. :lol:

so it was in 78 too - as written by bassman jerry sheff.