Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon August 20th, 2018, 03:20 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 09:50 GMT 

Hey, very good -I'll be voting Green next time and for the rest of my life (too young the last time). How can anyone deny that the enviroment is the most important issue??? Good God, its all around us for cripes sake. Its as if someone's house was burning down and they were saying "Give it time, it'll put itself out, meanwhile what's REALLY important is the state of my overdraft. Excuse me while I go to the bank. Keep an eye on that fire, see it doesn't get too out of control."

Even though I know that if they ever became as big as Labour or the Tories then they'd become just as corrupt. Again, sorry if I sound like a "the world sucks" teenager, but thats what I honestly feel.

p.s Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas has Stuck Inside Of Mobile on the soundtrack....must have been Johnny's contribution!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 13:23 GMT 
Lady Byron wrote:
Hey, very good -I'll be voting Green next time and for the rest of my life ...

Not to get too far off topic but be careful what you wish for Lady B, those politicians tend to disapoint you once they get elected. The first time I voted was in 1968 for Nixon, I figured he'd straighten up Johnson's war mess and bring some integrity to the office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 13:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hey Jim W, that's ok. After all Bob's favourite politician in the sixties was Johnson's arch right-wing Republican opponent in '64, Barry Goldwater:

If you think I'll let Barry Goldwater
Move in next door an' marry my daughter
You must think I'm crazy!
I wouldn't let him do it for all the farms in Cuba!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 13:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Meanwhile, back on subject, how about The High Sherriff's Lady? Tho' I guess she may well be up in that great fan club in the sky by now :cry: still clutching the souveneir harmonica....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 13:52 GMT 

I think its strange that all of a sudden Noel Gallagher won't shut up about Dylan. Says the new Oasis album is very 'Highway 61'. I know he's into his music but seriously, they have got nowhere near comparing to the Beatles and now wants to stand next to God Dylan. Twat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 14:03 GMT 
Precinct14: That was a great line by Bob, but entertainers are usually the last people I take direction from on the issues of the day.

OK back to topic. Sorry about the diversion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 15:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

I live in the US. But I know most of you are from the UK. I read an article that Charlotte Church, a big star in the Uk, called Dylan a freak. Not exactly a celebrity fan, but seemed like the place just to mention it. Shes just the rare celebrity that will come out and say that she doesnt like Dylan, the beatles, and so on. But calling him a freak? Thats just disrespectfull in my opinion.

http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/story.a ... 5998473&x=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 15:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Jim W: Bob is the past master at taking the contrary position. After all, the night after Kennedy was assassinated he was either collecting an award or performing- or both- and he got up and said he could understand where Lee Harvey Oswald was coming from, that he could put himself in his position. Unfortunately the audience didn't understand Bob, and chose to boo him roundly. I don't suppose he picked up too many fans, celebrity or otherwise, that evening- but if he did, they would surely have been unlikely ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 15:22 GMT 

Mr. Tambourine Man wrote:
I live in the US. But I know most of you are from the UK. I read an article that Charlotte Church, a big star in the Uk, called Dylan a freak. Not exactly a celebrity fan, but seemed like the place just to mention it. Shes just the rare celebrity that will come out and say that she doesnt like Dylan, the beatles, and so on. But calling him a freak? Thats just disrespectfull in my opinion.

http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/story.a ... 5998473&x=

in all honesty i don't think her opinion in valid,
she is not much of an 'artist' herself. her song is rubbish

she was disrespectful in my opinion too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 15:32 GMT 

Charlotte Church is rubbish at Rock singing. She should stick to what she's best at. Choir singing and sucking cock. Probably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 15:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

Quote:
Charlotte Church is rubbish at Rock singing. She should stick to what she's best at. Choir singing and sucking cock. Probably.

:lol: hahaha. one of the best responses i've seen in a while. Very funny. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 15:39 GMT 

Jim W wrote:
Lady Byron wrote:
Hey, very good -I'll be voting Green next time and for the rest of my life ...

Not to get too far off topic but be careful what you wish for Lady B, those politicians tend to disapoint you once they get elected. The first time I voted was in 1968 for Nixon, I figured he'd straighten up Johnson's war mess and bring some integrity to the office.

Yup, I'm all too aware of that....tsk tsk, didn't my post all the way through : :P

me wrote:
Quote:
Even though I know that if they ever became as big as Labour or the Tories then they'd become just as corrupt. Again, sorry if I sound like a "the world sucks" teenager, but thats what I honestly feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 15:43 GMT 

Mr. Tambourine Man wrote:
:lol: hahaha. one of the best responses i've seen in a while. Very funny. :lol:

Actually it was pretty uncooth and unintelligent, but that's what vehemence is. She's a dirty Cardiff slapper and sets a terrible example to young girls. Some people make me so angry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 15:47 GMT 

Don't give her more than one thought, people. She sells to people who buy music from Tesco for cripes sake!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 15:50 GMT 

Nothing wrong with Tesco. Some of the cheapest CD's you'll find!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 15:52 GMT 

well, how else are you going to flog off ronan keatings greatest hits?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 16:05 GMT 
Mercury Member

Quote:
Actually it was pretty uncooth and unintelligent, but that's what vehemence is. She's a dirty Cardiff slapper and sets a terrible example to young girls. Some people make me so angry.

I was saying that lightly. cause there have been alot of bad posts and stupid arguments around. so something that was funny like your post, lightened the mood to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 16:33 GMT 
Mercury Member

I know that Jimmy Carter's favorite artist is Dylan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 19:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

I believe Dylan performed for Jimmy Carter back Carter's home state (Arkansas?) in '77.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 19:46 GMT 
Precinct14 made an interesting point about the 1963 ordeal. Bob should have read the book How to Win Friends & Influence People. A little bit of that might have helped. Imagine being a celebrity back then, he might do something outrageous and hurt you by association. Here's some more on that.

Quote:
... just 21 days after Kennedy's death, Dylan received the Tom Paine award at the annual Bill of Rights dinner organised by the Emergency Civil Liberties Commission. It was a prestigious honour, which the year before had gone to the philosopher Bertrand Russell. But Dylan was discomforted by the occasion and got drunk. By the time he came to make his acceptance speech, he had lost the plot and he offended his audience. He even told them that he saw something of himself in Lee Harvey Oswald, the man who had allegedly killed Kennedy. In the light of "Only A Pawn In Their Game", a song which had attempted to understand how we are all shaped for good or ill by the forces around us, it was perhaps not as extreme a comment as it at first appears. But it was hard­ly the occasion for such subtle psychological nuances and Dylan was under­standably booed and hissed.

He swiftly apologised in the form of a lengthy prose poem to the ECLC. But he later admitted his dislike of the middle-class, middle-aged "radicals" in the audience. "I looked down from the platform and saw a bunch of peo­ple who had nothing to do with my kind of politics. They were supposed to be on my side but I didn't feel any connection with them" he complained.

From The Rough Guide to Bob Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 19:59 GMT 

precinct14 wrote:
I believe Dylan performed for Jimmy Carter back Carter's home state (Arkansas?) in '77.

Bill Clinton is from here. Jimmy Carter is from Georgia. Here's a review of what I think is the concert you're talking about: http://my.execpc.com/~billp61/120197r.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 20:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks for that Good Samaritan. I just couldn't remember it was Georgia!
And Jim W, thanks for that quote on the Tom Paine award night. Without pulling the book down off the shelf, I have this remembrance that in the Scaduto biography, he cranks things up by saying it happened on the following night, Sat Nov 23, 1963, but again my fading memory could be playing tricks on me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 21:15 GMT 
That got me curious, what the date was. Found this right here on ER:

http://www.expectingrain.com/dok/who/o/ ... arvey.html

December 13, 1963.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2005, 21:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks for that JW. He had some balls to say that, whether it was 1 day or 3 weeks after the event. That was a pretty incredible thought to articulate at that raw-edged time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat September 17th, 2005, 23:22 GMT 
Mercury Member

Heh, Courtney Love a fan of Dylan?

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A subdued Courtney Love, clutching a copy of Bob Dylan's autobiography, was sentenced on Friday to 180 days in jail for violating her probation, but will serve her time in a live-in drug treatment center.

The 41-year-old singer, who came to court carrying Dylan's book "Chronicles" and wearing dark sunglasses, will not be allowed to leave the clinic except for emergencies and would be subject to random drug tests

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... _love_dc_4

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next