It is currently Sat September 22nd, 2018, 06:54 GMT

All times are UTC

Good As I Been 2 U v Together Thru Life v Down In The Groove
Good As I Been To You 58%  58%  [ 34 ]
Together Through Life 37%  37%  [ 22 ]
Down In The Groove 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 59
PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 10:39 GMT 

Had this ready to go last week, the final Poll for the moment!

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 11:02 GMT 

I rarely play any of these three, but probably:

1. TTL
2. GAIBTY
3. DITG

That said, I don't think DITG is anywhere near as bad as its reputation suggests. The only track that I truly hate (and always skip) is Ugliest Girl. The rest of it I find fairly enjoyable, albeit inessential.

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 11:47 GMT 

Good As I Been To You I love because of the guitar work which is all down to Dylan. There are some duff notes here and there but I can live with that. Down In The Groove? I totally agree with you about it not being as bad as it's reputation. Together Through Life I regard as the poor relation from the albums between TOOM and Tempest. I did like Forgetful Heart when I saw him play it live but I hardly ever play it now.

PostPosted: Thu March 8th, 2018, 11:49 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
I rarely play any of these three, but probably:

1. TTL
2. GAIBTY
3. DITG

That said, I don't think DITG is anywhere near as bad as its reputation suggests. The only track that I truly hate (and always skip) is Ugliest Girl. The rest of it I find fairly enjoyable, albeit inessential.

DITG is to me Dylan´s worst studio record hands down.
It´s an absolute mess. Even those songs that seem to have good elements of some sort (like Death is not the end) sound completely wrong. The only listenable one to me is Silvio.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2018, 01:15 GMT 

'Good As I Been To You' has got my vote.

It comes from an honest and humble place creatively, whereas the other two give you the impression at points that he was pulling some stuff together for the sake of having an album to release.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2018, 01:33 GMT 

GAIBTY, no question.
TTL might have made a good Bootleg Series issue in 2027.
DITG is at the bottom of this list and at the bottom of everything.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2018, 01:51 GMT 

I went with TTL - largely because of "Beyond Here ..." which I really enjoy live.

I like both the other albums more than most too, Id imagine.
DITG is slight but fun and GAIBTY is an interesting look at some of his roots.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2018, 02:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

I feel genuinely sorry for GAIBTY having to share company with the other two. I'll have to see if I can raise its spirits somehow.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2018, 08:36 GMT 

All good for what they are. Decent albums which came out in between better albums.

I like TTL best of the three.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2018, 19:29 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:

I'm curious: how are you deciding which three albums to group together?

And where are the really great Dylan albums? Are they going to enter the competition in round 2 once the dross has been eliminated?

Or do you plan a Highway 61 vs Blonde on Blonde vs Blood on the Tracks poll next?

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2018, 21:17 GMT 

RichardW wrote:
dvdunplugged wrote:

I'm curious: how are you deciding which three albums to group together?

And where are the really great Dylan albums? Are they going to enter the competition in round 2 once the dross has been eliminated?

Or do you plan a Highway 61 vs Blonde on Blonde vs Blood on the Tracks poll next?

I note that you're from Manchester so I hope you understand my logic as follows. These early rounds were based on the 'knock out' stages of the FA Cup (ie - the Non League, and Division 1 & 2 teams). I didn't intend bringing in the 'big guns' until the next round but then it seemed there were too many polls about so whether things reach that stage or not we'll have to wait and see. There's still one more poll in the 'knock out' stage to do. Christmas In The Heart deserves a chance!!!

So for the next round (the last 16) I don't know if albums should be seeded (like tennis players) or just be drawn out of a hat like the FA Cup - that could bring Blood On The Tracks up against Blonde On Blonde but I swear I'll be blind folded when I draw the numbers out! I'm a West Ham fan so I know all about backing a losing team!

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2018, 21:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

Of course Christmas In the Heart deserves a chance, it's one of Bob's masterstrokes.

PostPosted: Fri March 9th, 2018, 22:25 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:

I note that you're from Manchester so I hope you understand my logic as follows. These early rounds were based on the 'knock out' stages of the FA Cup (ie - the Non League, and Division 1 & 2 teams). I didn't intend bringing in the 'big guns' until the next round but then it seemed there were too many polls about so whether things reach that stage or not we'll have to wait and see. There's still one more poll in the 'knock out' stage to do. Christmas In The Heart deserves a chance!!!

So for the next round (the last 16) I don't know if albums should be seeded (like tennis players) or just be drawn out of a hat like the FA Cup - that could bring Blood On The Tracks up against Blonde On Blonde but I swear I'll be blind folded when I draw the numbers out! I'm a West Ham fan so I know all about backing a losing team!

What can compete with Christmas in the Heart! The West Ham of Bob Dylan albums!

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2018, 07:26 GMT 

RichardW wrote:
What can compete with Christmas in the Heart! The West Ham of Bob Dylan albums!

Oh, I don't think it's THAT bad... ;)

Actually, it's more like the Millwall of Bob Dylan albums - nobody likes it, but it doesn't care.

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2018, 07:56 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Actually, it's more like the Millwall of Bob Dylan albums - nobody likes it, but it doesn't care.

I like it, but since the intention was for all Dylan's royalties from the sale of Christmas In The Heart to benefit the charities Feeding America in the USA, Crisis in the UK, and the World Food Programme it deserves a bit of respect. I've heard a lot worse Christmas albums to be fair but personally I only ever play Must Be Santa!

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2018, 20:31 GMT 

Down on the grove has got my vote thoes songs just seem to work well together. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder so down in the grove gets my vote out of his other albums for me its right up there with street legal I think the last few songs on that album go great together but in almost every one of his albums there are songs that seem to go good together almost like watching a movie or something. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun March 11th, 2018, 13:50 GMT 

Thank goodness someone had the courage to vote for what they believe in and got DITG off the mark! Btw, I was at the West Ham v Burnley game yesterday and only hope that the fans don't destroy everything until after The Stones have played there. That would be a real double whammy for me!

PostPosted: Sun March 11th, 2018, 14:29 GMT 

I actually really like Together Through Life which got my vote. It's nothing revolutionary but it's fun and I don't think there's a single bad track on the album. I especially like Beyond Here Lies Nothin' and My Wife's Hometown, very dry amusing song and can picture it in a small smokey blues bar when I hear it. All tracks on the album are good fun to jam along to on guitar too.

Good As I Been To You is quite good but World Gone Wrong improved upon it.

I think Down in the Groove is hands down Bob Dylan's worst album, it is atrociously poor. Silvio and Ugliest Girl in the World are not bad, the rest I doubt I will ever listen to again. He just sounds like he clearly didn't give a toss when he churned it out, not in a good or fun effortless way though.

PostPosted: Tue March 13th, 2018, 17:46 GMT 

Not even the greatest liner notes ever could ever save Down In The Groove I'm afraid to say!

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2018, 12:01 GMT 

Down In The Groove.

Good As I Been To You is the worst of these three. Together Through Life is pretty bad though.

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2018, 12:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

Down In The Groove (1988)
1. Let’s Stick Together
2. When Did You Leave Heaven?
3. Sally Sue Brown
4. Death Is Not The End
5. Had A Dream About You, Baby
6. Ugliest Girl In The World
7. Silvio
8. Ninety Miles An Hour (Down a Dead End Street)
9. Shenandoah
10. Rank Strangers To Me 

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2018, 15:29 GMT 
Mercury Member

Always loved GAIBTY. Don't know the others.

PostPosted: Wed March 14th, 2018, 19:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nothing against the other two but my vote went to Good As I Been To You. It's just so darn good.

PostPosted: Thu March 22nd, 2018, 14:46 GMT 

Oof. Three of his worst albums in my opinion. Down in the Groove is arguably the worst ever, Together Through Life is the worst of the modern era (from TOOM on), so Good As I Been to You wins by default. Not objectionable, but I never particularly got into either this or World Gone Wrong.

PostPosted: Thu March 22nd, 2018, 22:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Down In the Groove is a motley collection of covers arranged and sung poorly, a few erratic originals of which only Silvio has any merit, and only serves to damage his reputation as an artist.

Together Through Life is an average blues rock album recorded by good musicians backing an aging rock star at the end of his ability to play and sing. It's about as good as Nashville Skyline but for different reasons.

Good As I Been To You is a great folk music album by a great folk musician.

The three albums are so distinct from one another in quality, sound and musicianship that I'm surprised there'd be any difference of opinion on the aesthetic value of each, regardless of personal preferences for acoustic or electric music.