McG wrote:
Pretty crap gig

three words of total bullsh*t.

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 06:56 GMT 

Rimshottbob wrote:
McG wrote:
Pretty crap gig

three words of total bullsh*t.

Lol. Yes, you're right, sorry - I put my Elvis onesie jumpsuit on and did a kilo of coke then played the show while performing synchronised karate moves. It's not as bad as I remember after all.

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 07:54 GMT 

I was selling programmes there. Once I had god rid of my allocation the day was mine and I started to head for the front of the stage. I was still quite a way back when Clapton came on but I managed to get nearer as people went for beer, took toilet breaks, etc. It was a bit of a nightmare but at least it didn't rain. BTW, I was doing an illustration course at the time and one of the guys wives worked for the people doing the merchandising and they asked us if we wanted to do the gig. They said they would supply accommodation, four of us went...and spent the night in the back of a Hertz Rent-a-van with no bedding. A great introduction to Bob Dylan!

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 08:22 GMT 

here's a link, we were promised a tshirt but never got them, http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/blackbushe.html

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 08:26 GMT 

McG wrote:
Pretty crap gig

Stop talking shite all yer life! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2YIf2ub3Oo

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 08:28 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
I was there in 1978 so if there was to be a soundboard released I'd certainly be interested. I do have a recording of the show but the quality is pretty naff in places.

Think there are a few versions circulating, I have one that has pretty fair quality, but not soundboard tho.

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 09:43 GMT 

I was there, still the only time I've seen Bob. I remember all the cars heading down there, many with handwritten signs in the windows, with Dylan lyrics etc. (Ours read "Obviously Four Believers"). As the show progressed, I scribbled the setlist down on my programme. [img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/e11fbfb2eccfb9007775d07ca724cf77.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 09:47 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
I was there, still the only time I've seen Bob. I remember all the cars heading down there, many with handwritten signs in the windows, with Dylan lyrics etc. (Ours read "Obviously Four Believers"). As the show progressed, I scribbled the setlist down on my programme.

You lucky sod :lol: Did you see Clapton? What did he play?

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 10:01 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
mjmooney wrote:
I was there, still the only time I've seen Bob. I remember all the cars heading down there, many with handwritten signs in the windows, with Dylan lyrics etc. (Ours read "Obviously Four Believers"). As the show progressed, I scribbled the setlist down on my programme.

You lucky sod :lol: Did you see Clapton? What did he play?

I thought Clapton's set was pretty good. Think it was the band that played on 461 Ocean Boulevard. As much as I like EC I think that these days he's just going through the motions.

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 10:09 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
I thought Clapton's set was pretty good. Think it was the band that played on 461 Ocean Boulevard. As much as I like EC I think that these days he's just going through the motions.

Some days I do believe Clapton is, or was, God. Other days I could take him or leave him. As a songwriter he's meh, as a singer not much there, but you cant argue with a Clapton solo any day of the week.

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 10:31 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
mjmooney wrote:

You lucky sod Did you see Clapton? What did he play?
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eric-clapton/1978/blackbushe-aerodrome-camberley-england-73da72e1.html

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 10:33 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eric-clapton/1978/blackbushe-aerodrome-camberley-england-73da72e1.html

Lay Down Sally? So jealous!

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 10:39 GMT 

Clapton played pretty well, but unfortunately, while watching the next act (Joan Armatrading) and most of Dylan's set from the wings, he drank an entire bottle of brandy. So when Bob brought him out to play on 'Forever Young', he was very, very drunk (by his own account, he very nearly fell off tbe stage). Still managed to play his solos pretty well though, as the records attest.

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 10:44 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Clapton played pretty well, but unfortunately, while watching the next act (Joan Armatrading) and most of Dylan's set from the wings, he drank an entire bottle of brandy. So when Bob brought him out to play on 'Forever Young', he was very, very drunk (by his own account, he very nearly fell off tbe stage). Still managed to play his solos pretty well though, as the records attest.

Which account is this? And does it contain any info on any other Dylan/Clapton interactions?

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 10:49 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
mjmooney wrote:

Which account is this? And does it contain any info on any other Dylan/Clapton interactions?
I just remember Clapton talking about it in an interview, years ago. It was during the period when he had successfully kicked heroin addiction, but unfortunately replaced it with alcoholism.

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 11:20 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Some days I do believe Clapton is, or was, God. Other days I could take him or leave him. As a songwriter he's meh, as a singer not much there, but you cant argue with a Clapton solo any day of the week.

The last couple of times I saw him at the Royal Albert Hall he's been pretty forgetable, he was only rescued in 2017 by having Doyle Bramhall II as a guest guitarist. He now seems to stick to a 'tried and tested' set where he always plays the acoustic Layla, has to play Wonderful Tonight for the ladies and sticks with Tears In Heaven which wears a bit thin after a couple of listens. In 2015 he even atempted to play a Blind Faith song, I think it was 'Can't Find My Way Home' with Nathan East doing the Steve Winwood vocals. Awful. The items that rescue the set are the guitar solo he tags on to I Shot The Sherrif, Cocaine and a couple of blues numbers. Including his appearances with Cream (I was at the farewell show) and at Blackbushe I've seen him some 17 times and the last show ranks as the worst. I didn't even have to think twice about standing in a field (Hyde Park) to see him - even though Carlos Santana and Steve Winwood are on the bill.

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 12:27 GMT 

This is the review of EC's show I wrote shortly after seeing him last year:
26 May 2017. The good news is that I enjoyed Eric's performance last night much more than I did the last time I saw him. Hard to explain why as he still did the acoustic Layla (I was hoping he'd surprise himself and do the electric version or discard it!!). He still feels he has to play Tears In Heaven and Wonderful Tonight. He should take a leaf out of Dylan's book and not give the audience what they want, well not all the time! At least he'd dropped the Blind Faith song sung by Nathan East, as I said before - if Steve Winwood can't be there - forget it. Doyle Bramhall II was the support and he came on stage for the last four numbers of Eric's set. Shame he wasn't there from the start! Eric's good with a second guitarist as a foil, someone to duel with and trade licks with. Excellent stuff, this time around I was hoping he would do a couple more numbers, last time I couldn't wait to get out. As I say, an improvement and I'm glad that he's recovered from the illness that some of the tabloids picked up on a couple of months ago.

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 12:43 GMT 

I always found 'Wonderful Tonight' rather tiresome (dvdunplugged's "one for the ladies" comment is on the money), but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the Blackbushe version - it had a lot more 'bite' (particularly on the guitar licks) than the studio recording.

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 13:56 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
I always found 'Wonderful Tonight' rather tiresome (dvdunplugged's "one for the ladies" comment is on the money), but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the Blackbushe version - it had a lot more 'bite' (particularly on the guitar licks) than the studio recording.

I really don't remember it at Blackbushe but do remember when it wasn't so laid back and irksome!

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 15:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

Randlepmcmurphy wrote:
Nice article in this months 'Uncut' magazine on Dylan's outdoor gig in Surrey in July 1978. It says in the magazine it was and still is the biggest single audience Dylan has ever played to ( 200,000 +). [/img]

Sounds about right.
http://expectingrain.com/discussions/vi ... =2&t=73344

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 15:25 GMT 

We've discussed E.C. in some depth but I was wondering if anyone remembers the performances by Joan Armatrading or Graham Parker? Graham Parker was the artist of the moment really, I remember he had an album out called Heat Treatment but I sadly missed his performance at the show. I think I was in the artists services are using my 'Dinner Voucher' at the time.

PostPosted: Sun March 4th, 2018, 16:18 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Just found out there is a soundboard recording. Not circulating though... Next next bootleg series?? Come on!

Hi Anj

Where did you hear about this soundboard recording?

PostPosted: Mon March 5th, 2018, 09:48 GMT 

I was born but i would give my stones to have been there, i know some-one who was there and said he had a great time.

PostPosted: Tue March 6th, 2018, 22:51 GMT 

I was only 6 but lived about 25 miles away so thinking back now would love to have gone as i'm a big Clapton fan too.

I've been to Blackbushe itself many times, the Sunday market. Still hard to comprehend a live show being performed there, also that no other artist has played there since.

Would love to hear a good version of this show.

PostPosted: Tue March 6th, 2018, 23:52 GMT 

I seem to recall Clinton Heylin saying at a Dylan convention a few years ago that not only was Blackbushe professionally recorded, but he has heard it, and it's one of Dylan's finest live performances...!