Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue August 14th, 2018, 19:13 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun February 4th, 2018, 19:13 GMT 

Hi guys!

I see HopE is a sleuth and has found some of my music! :)

Here's the link to today's episode on Dylan and the Movies!
https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/defi ... uary-2018/

That one was really fun (despite the beginning being a bit messed up again, I'm still getting the hang of this stuff), and I absolutely loved preparing and hosting this episode. I hope you like it, too!

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 10:31 GMT 

I really join this radio shows !
All the best from Iceland.

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 11:32 GMT 

Quote: "You really haven't heard Dylan songs until you have heard Dylan singing Dylan songs" (or so)
Amongst others it is just this, what makes Bob unique and inimitable, although he got the Nobel Prize only for his lyrics.
And I think, this is a problem too: Melody, lyrics and performance of his songs are hard to seperate. The songs are still great when someone else sings them; but although there are hundreds of covers of Bob's songs, I don't remember even one of his great songs, that is more living or vivid when sung by someone else. It's his performance and his voice (even if croaky) that transforms simple listening into an existential experience - of course not always but sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 11:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

Ouch...must be another way. Apparently, I've exceeded my quota with this service?
I've only listened to each show once and was trying to get to the latest show.
They send me to this link to explain:

Why can't I listen? Licensing rules by country
Last Updated: Jun 06, 2017 04:43PM IST
Licensing restrictions

Mixcloud is a licensed Internet radio service with agreements with various Collecting Societies around the world (who in turn pay royalties to labels and artists based on their individual recording and publishing deals).

These agreements stipulate certain rules (known as the "Sound Recording Performance Complement Rules" around what type of radio shows and DJ mixes can be listened to on Mixcloud:

US Rules:
- Maximum 4 tracks by an artist (and max 3 consecutively)
​- Maximum 3 tracks from an album (and max 2 consecutively)
- Maximum 3 listens to a show during any 2 week period

As music lovers ourselves, we understand that this may be frustrating, and we are working on new frameworks with rights-holders to build a better service for everyone.

http://support.mixcloud.com/customer/po ... ement-rule

There must be a way.

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 11:50 GMT 

HopE wrote:
I don't remember even one of his great songs, that is more living or vivid when sung by someone else. It's his performance and his voice (even if croaky) that transforms simple listening into an existential experience - of course not always but sometimes.

I agree mostly. Except for Odetta singing Dylan songs. Her version of Don't think twice is a better listen than his for me. Bruce Langhorne on guitar. Have a listen if you don't know it. On Odetta sings Dylan. Sorry avn't figured out links here properly yet. :(

Here's an article about her. She was an amazing and very influential artist, a bit neglected sadly.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newy ... -dylan/amp

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 11:52 GMT 

Oh and thank you Laura. Your show is a very relaxing listen on a Sunday afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 15:33 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Except for Odetta singing Dylan songs. Her version of Don't think twice is a better listen than his for me.

No need to argue.A great singer without any doubt, and of course a wonderful singer of Dylan songs too.
Odetta impressed very much even alone because of her appearance and her attitudes as a young woman and as an older woman. Her powerful voice made her unique. Unfortunately she's gone and unfortunately I hadn't had the chance to see her perform live.

PostPosted: Mon February 5th, 2018, 20:55 GMT 

Yikes, I really apologise for the problems some people are having with the link this week! Are you in the US, StillGoBarefoot? I've heard from someone else who got the same notification. I wasn't aware of these licensing restrictions and apparently they don't apply in the UK.
I'm currently looking into alternative hosting opportunities to get around this.
The problem (from what I understand now) seems to be not that you've listened to many times, but that my show contains more than 4 songs by the same artist - duh! Well shit. I'll keep you updated once I find out what to do about that. :?

But thank you so much for the nice comments from those of you who were able to listen so far. I will say that this episode was really special because I was so happy to play Brownsville Girl on FM radio, you could probably tell!

PS: I love Odetta

PostPosted: Tue February 6th, 2018, 11:24 GMT 

I'm in the US and I also cannot listen directly on the mixcloud site. It gives me a message saying "This service not available in your country due to licensing issues".

However, I was able to hear the show by downloading it as an audio file, by pasting the mixcloud url on this site: http://www.mixcloud-downloader.com

I'm guessing that downloader site is not based in the US, and they therefore can circumvent the licensing limits.

Anyway, I'm realoy enjoying the show, Laura. I was excited to hear you play Things Have Changed. I've been kinda obsessed with that song lately.

The show needs to be longer! It's 1 hour, which is okay, but you've had to finish with partial songs a couple of times now. 90 minutes would be better. That probably isn't your decision, but hearing only part of a song is kinda frustrating. Maybe, if you're short on time, just give the longer song an honorable mention, and play something shorter?

In any case, this will keep giving me something to look forward to on Sundays, even with (American) Football finished for the season.

PostPosted: Wed February 7th, 2018, 14:18 GMT 

Oh, that's really interesting, thanks for the tip, The Reasoner! I'm currently also looking into another way to (legally) bypass the restrictions, but need to test it out before recommending it.

As for the running time - I absolutely get your frustration about songs getting cut off! It's frustrating to me, too. The problem is that it's hard to exactly time how long the talking portion of the show takes. Especially now that I'm able to talk a bit more freely and usually add some extra info that's not in my notes. But in the end, I'd always rather play something that relates to the previous content, even if it gets cut off (hopefully it'll make someone want to listen to the song in its entirety afterwards) than something short that's kind of out of context.

That being said, I'm trying to learn how to estimate the remaining time better (remember, I'm still new to this), so hopefully it'll get better.

PostPosted: Wed February 7th, 2018, 17:17 GMT 

I've just found your programme Laura, and have perfect reception here (SW France.) Definitely a favourite.
As someone said earlier on the thread, even though his voice is unreliable, melodies may not always be so tuneful, lyrics are the main thing. Something about his delivery - perfect rhythm, timing, pitch, sympathy with his theme - there's no-one like him, never will be.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun February 11th, 2018, 01:50 GMT 

Thanks Senac, I'm glad you're liking the show, and that you can hear it well where you are!

I have figured out that for those in the US, the website http://hola.org/ could prove the solution. It's a VPN that you install to basically trick your browser into thinking you're not in the US, so the licensing restrictions won't apply.

But if you don't feel like doing that, there's always the option of tuning in directly by going to https://resonancefm.com/ tomorrow at 4pm GMT (so for example on the East Coast that's 11am), and just hit the "Listen" button at the top of the page.

Tomorrow's episode will be a bit of a wild ride, I'm calling it Down the Rabbit Hole. Hope some of you can tune in! :)

PostPosted: Sun February 11th, 2018, 02:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

Laura wrote:
Tomorrow's episode will be a bit of a wild ride, I'm calling it Down the Rabbit Hole.

You do realize that may possibly commit you to:
Sitting on a Barbed Wire Fence
One More Weekend
New Morning
Trouble &
Man of Peace

Hoping us ‘Definitely-Dylan-US-immigrants’ can scale your border walls!

PostPosted: Sun February 11th, 2018, 11:30 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Laura wrote:
Tomorrow's episode will be a bit of a wild ride, I'm calling it Down the Rabbit Hole.

You do realize that may possibly commit you to:
Sitting on a Barbed Wire Fence
One More Weekend
New Morning
Trouble &
Man of Peace

Hahaha, all those songs would be so fun to play!! Unfortunately not this week! You could also call today a game of Six Degrees of Separation, I guess. I will be playing a song from Infidels though! Looking forward to it - every week during research I either remember some stuff I had forgotten, or learn something new, it's so cool!

PostPosted: Mon February 12th, 2018, 12:32 GMT 

Here's this week's link: https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/defi ... uary-2018/

This week was just a bit of fun in the studio, playing some songs and talking about some fun facts. I love centring the episodes around themes, but I might do this again sometime. What do you think?

Please let me know if you're having any problems with it, I'm very confused as to where those licensing restrictions apply.

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 00:09 GMT 

I enjoyed the latest episode, Laura, but I definitely (no pun intended) want the 'themes' format to continue. I can think of a lot of possible themes for episodes, so I'm curious what you'll focus on in the future. I'd love a Dylan 'Story Songs' episode, for example.

You should spread the word about the show to the Steve Hoffman music forums. There are probably other message boards where people talk about Dylan, but the forums at http://forums.stevehoffman.tv seem to have a LOT of Dylan discussion. They are a general music forum, but they heavily favor 60s & 70s artists, and topics about new Dylan releases tend to get THOUSANDS of posts. I am sure there are many people there who would enjoy the show.

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 16:51 GMT 

Thanks The Reasoner, yeah, I will continue to centre episodes around themes, but I wanted to try something else because I don't want it to turn into another type of Theme Time Radio Hour. I have quite a few ideas for episodes as well, some requiring more research than others, but if you'd like to share a few of your ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Good call about posting on other forums. I'm definitely trying to spread the word where I can. I'd also really appreciate it if you guys could tell your friends about it or post about it in forums like this one. It's definitely easier for the news about the show to travel by word of mouth if there's more than one mouth talking about it! :)

PostPosted: Mon February 19th, 2018, 12:33 GMT 

Here's a link to this week's episode, the Definitely Dylan Valentines Day Special! Tune in for some talk about writer's block, bongos and cowbells, women on pedestals, and lovely love songs!

Again, please let me know if you have any trouble listening, I'm trying to figure out if past problems persist or if people in the US can listen now.

PostPosted: Sun February 25th, 2018, 23:25 GMT 

Just thought I'd update you with the link to the latest episode, just in case you want to listen on your Monday morning commute!

This week was dedicated to Dylan the Performer - comparing different versions of certain songs and talking a bit about them.
It's something that I've always loved to do and think about, so I'm happy I got to share some of my thoughts today. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri March 2nd, 2018, 02:17 GMT 

Still enjoying the show. The latest episode was fun. I didn't mind the partial tracks this time, since you made it clear that you were playing short clips for context before playing the full version you had chosen. I think it worked well.

As for possible episode topics, a LOT of them occurred to me when I first heard about your show. You could do...

-DECADES (60s, 70s, 80s...)
-ERAS (early acoustic, electric, country crooner, gospel, ect.)
-COVERS (Dylan doing traditionals, other artists covering Dylan, Dylan covering other artists, maybe a combination where you play Dylan's version AND the other artist's version back-to-back),
-STORY songs (Dylan has done enough for several episodes, I think)
-PROTEST songs (not just early 60's - stuff like "Hurricane", "Political World" and "Union Sundown" would all fit)
-Collaborations (I loved the Duets episode! You could do an episode with other collaborations, like Traveling Wilburys).

Then there are more general topics, like Death, Love (the Valentine's episode was great, but there are so many aspects of this topic to cover) or Anger/Spite (I think there are a lot of similarities between songs like Positively 4th Street, Idiot Wind, and Property of Jesus). You could also do episodes focused on certain albums - play a few tracks from the album itself, an outtake or two, and a few live versions. I know you can only play officially released material, but with the Bootleg Series and other releases like The 1966 Live Recordings, there are a lot of options.

Again, really enjoying the show, and looking forward to future episodes.

PostPosted: Sat March 3rd, 2018, 23:56 GMT 

Thanks for your feedback, The Reasoner! Really glad you're still listening and enjoying the show. I really like your ideas for themes and have thought about a few myself already. Lately I've been toying with an episode on story songs, the problem is only that a lot of those are very long, and I might not be able to play very many, but I'm still thinking about it.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 17:42 GMT 

Before the week is through and it's time for another episode, here's Definitely Dylan #9 - Women & Dylan.

In this hour, we hear from women inspired by Dylan, women singing Dylan, I talk about two songs that have the reputation as being misogynist, and I asked three amazing women who write about Dylan, Dr. Nina Goss, Dr. Anne Margaret Daniel, and Tara Zuk, how it feels being female in the Dylan sphere.

Listen here!

I also uploaded a document with the women's full answers to the Definitely Dylan Facebook Page.

PostPosted: Fri March 16th, 2018, 12:51 GMT 

Do one about Dylan & Death please.

PostPosted: Fri March 16th, 2018, 13:20 GMT 

I'm looking forward to listening with the downloader circumvent in the US. :D

PostPosted: Mon March 19th, 2018, 12:36 GMT 

McG wrote:
Do one about Dylan & Death please.

That is one I'm already thinking about! There's definitely a LOT of material for that! :)

faerie queen wrote:
I'm looking forward to listening with the downloader circumvent in the US. :D

Amazing! Have you tried listening to it without the circumvent? It seems to work for some people in the US. I don't really understand why it works for some and not for others, but it might be worth a try?

Here's yesterday's episode on other people's songs Dylan has covered throughout the years!
The fun fact that I was trying to squeeze in at the end when I got cut off was that in his book on Dylan's Recording Sessions, Clinton Heylin lists 289 (!) covers that were attempted by Dylan in the studio up to 1994! That's not even counting all the covers he has played live in concert, or the ones he's recorded in the past 28 years! As I said, I'm really fascinated with Dylan covering other people's songs, and I'd love to do a part 2 for this topic sometime so i can play the songs I didn't have time for here. What's your favourite cover Dylan has done?
https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan-18th-march-2018/