Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 15th, 2018, 19:03 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 21:55 GMT 

https://youtu.be/bLO1qJIcY8c
Quote:
Director Jennifer Lebeau, writer Luc Sante, and actor Michael Shannon discuss their Bob Dylan documentary Trouble No More at the 55th New York Film Festival.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 16:52 GMT 

I am attempting to provide the venues and dates of the DVD but it is becoming much harder than I first thought. My method is comparing circulating tapes and bootleg videos.This is assuming that only four shows were videoed. The 2 in Buffalo and two in Toronto. As someone else has noted it looks like some creative editing is going on here. Audio of one show with video of another show type of thing. So far here is what I think are the complete performances. Any help and corrections are welcome:

Slow Train - April 20
When He Returns - April 20
Precious Angel - May 1
What Can I Do For You? - April 30
Ain't gonna go to Hell for anybody - Unknown (but is definitely not April 20)
Pressing On - May 1
Are You Ready? - this is the biggest mystery of all because the audio doesn't appear to be from any of the four shows videoed

More to come...

Last edited by dyln61 on Wed November 29th, 2017, 17:05 GMT, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 17:00 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
Just going by the clips that have been put out, it looks like there's a bit of trickery going on. There are shots that look like they were filmed by someone standing right beside Bob, immediately followed by a wide shot with no cameramen in sight. Perhaps the closeups were filmed during the soundcheck and then spliced together with footage from the show.

This is what I suspect is going on. It would also answer the question of why this set has everything so meticulously documented & dated except the DVD. You are also correct about the wide shots etc. I was at the Buffalo May 1st show and the guy with the handheld camera was right on stage in Bob's face. It was annoying as Hell. So I know these parts are edited somehow with other performances.I wish they were more forthcoming on the sources of these performances & audio.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 18:29 GMT 

juststepintothearena wrote:
https://youtu.be/bLO1qJIcY8c
Quote:
Director Jennifer Lebeau, writer Luc Sante, and actor Michael Shannon discuss their Bob Dylan documentary Trouble No More at the 55th New York Film Festival.

Thanks for this, really interesting. Luc sante says bob was the main man in determining the number of sermons. Though not the content. Interesting question on why blobs own sermons where not used,seemed like a flimsy answer by jeniffer lebeuf, and the fact there is more rehearsal footage out there was good news.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 20:10 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
Luc sante says bob was the main man in determining the number of sermons. Though not the content. Interesting question on why blobs own sermons where not used,seemed like a flimsy answer by jeniffer lebeuf, and the fact there is more rehearsal footage out there was good news.

Luc Sante at one point says that Dylan specifies the number of sermons, but about 10 minutes later he says that Dylan specified both the number of the sermons and the themes.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 20:18 GMT 

yes, just as he had tweeted earlier,
in the clip above, sante says that
the topics for the sermons came from dylan
Quote:
Topics assigned by Bob, written straight (i.e. like real sermons, not surrealistic pastiches), inspired by Revs DC Rice & JM Gates et al.
https://mobile.twitter.com/luxante/status/902643612994990081

and i don’t know if it’’s true, but
i think her explanation is plausible -
they wanted to focus on the music,
and dylan’’s words outside of the music
would distract from that objective
(because he’’s bob dylan and controversy surrounds him)

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 02:34 GMT 

Mail Train wrote:
I don't have the DVD, but are the videos that "Peter Sugarman" posted on YouTube from Trouble No More?
Jesus Met The Woman At The Well
https://youtu.be/sxyPwa-SO0E

God damn (excuse the blasphemy), I can't get enough of this! I love Dylan's smirk, he seems to be really enjoying himself with this number.

But is this really the true cut/length that is featured in the documentary? The song itself has many more verses and you can tell this has been cut to exclude them. I really hope there's a cut that includes the whole performance? Did Dylan ever play this in concerts during his gospel phase?

PostPosted: Sat December 2nd, 2017, 18:16 GMT 

This is the weekend I've finally broken the DVD out of the deluxe box. I appreciate the work that other have done in trying to figure out these dates for the DVD performances.

If anybody cares: I put together a breaktown--with times--for the documentary chapters and special features. If nothing else, this can be used to determine the timing differences between the "complete versions" on the bonus menus and the edited version in the main feature. The formatting pasted kind of screwy, but anyway.

• Trouble In Mind Bonus Disc
o The Musical Film (58:57)
o Chapters

 Jesus Met the Woman at the Well (:00)
 Main Open (1:37)
 Are You Ready? (2:27)
 Hypocrisy (5:08)
 Solid Rock (6:37)
 Virtue Part 1 (10:42)
 Slow Train (11:59)
 Virtue Part 2 (16:09)
 When He Returns (18:00)
 Precious Angel (22:17)
 Temperance (26:29)
 Saved (28:22)
 Gluttony (33:07)
 Do Right to Me Baby (Do Unto Others) (35:01)
 Justice Part 1 (38:41)
 Ain't Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (40:33)
 Justice Part 2 (43:44)
 What Can I Do for You? (44:26)
 Prudence (48:45)
 Pressing On (50:31)
 Abraham, Martin and John (54:12)
 Credits (audio of “Every Grain of Sand” demo) (57:23)
o Special Features
 The Concert Only (42:59)
• Are You Ready? (:00)
• Solid Rock (3:03)
• Slow Train (Complete Version) (7:24)
• When He Returns (13:37)
• Precious Angel (17:53)
• Saved (23:07)
• Do Right to Me Baby (Do Unto Others) (27:42)
• Ain't Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Complete Version) (31:02)
• What Can I Do for You? (35:11)
• Pressing On (39:09)

 The Sermons Only (16:17)
• Hypocrisy (:00)
• Virtue (2:32)
• Temperance (6:22)
• Gluttony (8:30)
• Justice (10:55)
• Prudence (14:02)
 Extras (28:17)
• Shot of Love (:00)
• Cover Down (Pray Through) (4:12)
• Jesus Met the Woman at the Well (8:57)
• Ain't Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Complete Version) (12:17)
• Precious Angel (Complete Version) (16:27)
• Slow Train (Complete Version) (21:55)
o Languages
 Swedish
 French
 Spanish
 Italian
 German
 Dutch

PostPosted: Sat December 2nd, 2017, 18:19 GMT 

Thanks for the precious list.

By the way,
does anybody know I can burn a CD with the mp3s from the DVD?

Or, even better! :), is there anybody so kind to send me the CD if I send him a re-mailer?

PostPosted: Fri December 22nd, 2017, 15:44 GMT 

Well, I finally got around to opening up the Deluxe box last night, and I watched the DVD right away. I am definitely not as focused on audio/video quality as most others around here, but I suppose that I would have still preferred a definitive version of a complete concert (Toronto or another), just for the sake of having the experience of an entire show, including Bob's messages between songs and the performances of the women without Bob.

I was very skeptical about the sermons going into the film, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by their use. Unlike others, I found the acting and directing quite strong. Dylan seems to have felt alone at times during this period, so I think having the actor preach what he believes to be the truth even if nobody is there to hear him is really interesting.

And I also think the content is perfect for what Dylan was experiencing at the time. There is a strong focus on living in a particular way (connecting us clearly to the Continental Pietists and Wesleyan Evangelicals of the 18th century, and then the Holiness Churches and Pentecostal movement of the 19th and 20th centuries), the awkward balancing of making judgments about others' behavior while condemning the making of judgments about others' behavior, and the relative downplaying of Christ in favor of the first person of the Trinity. The Hal Lindsey stuff obviously does not age very well--at least many of the specifics--and while Bob may have been really intrigued by some of the eschatology, it's the rest of the stuff developed in these sermons that likely dominated his Christian community (one can think of Keith Green's songs for a helpful parallel).

I'm excited to listen through the CDs (and the San Diego show), but BS13 is off to a good start for me, and I still have the Toronto show (even if in less than perfect quality) to get the more complete experience....grave

PostPosted: Mon December 25th, 2017, 01:35 GMT 

Has anybody been able to come up with dates for any of the performences on the "Trouble No More" DVD?

Or, are any of the performances hybrids (edits of muitple shows)?

PostPosted: Tue March 6th, 2018, 00:38 GMT 

I think dyln61 previously identified some of the venues/dates. Here's more information thanks to Anders Lindh ...

Summarizing from “Trouble No More – The DVD” by Anders Lindh in The Bridge No. 59:

Jesus Met the Woman at the Well
Abraham, Martin and John
… (both from rehearsals at Rundown Studios, Santa Monica, CA – 16 October 1980)

Based on the sound, the concert performances are mainly from the following dates in 1980:
Are You Ready? (Toronto, 20th April)
Solid Rock (Buffalo, 30th April)
Slow Train (Toronto, 20th April)
When He Returns (Toronto, 20th April)
Precious Angel (mostly Toronto, 19th April but there seems to be a couple of lines in the first verse from another audio source, probably 20th April)
Saved (Buffalo, 1st May)
Do Right to Me Baby (Do Unto Others) (a composite of Buffalo, 30th April and 1st May)
Ain't Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Buffalo, 1st May)
What Can I Do for You? (Buffalo, 30th April)
Pressing On (Buffalo, 1st May)

Note 1: Most of these performances are incomplete or edited, some heavily so, and sometimes feature inserts from other dates, e.g. the Toronto Slow Train which has an insert from Buffalo that is particularly telling.

Note 2: The Toronto, 20th April edits are almost totally different (and much improved) compared with the long-circulating video from the same date.

Special Features:
Ain't Gonna Go to Hell for Anybody (Complete Version)
Slow Train (Complete Version)
… (both are the same performances as in the film)
Cover Down (Pray Through) (mainly Toronto, 20th April, with some parts from Toronto, 19th April)
Shot of Love (directed by Howard Alk – Avignon, 25th July 1981)

PostPosted: Tue March 6th, 2018, 01:03 GMT 

Despite the CDs getting a daily listening on my commute, I still haven't watched this DVD or read the books!

To be young, single and childfree again!

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 15:10 GMT 

Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:
Thanks for the precious list.

By the way,
does anybody know I can burn a CD with the mp3s from the DVD?

Or, even better! :), is there anybody so kind to send me the CD if I send him a re-mailer?

I know that this is a risk, as you don't know me, but if you send me the DVD, I can rip the audio and send you a CD (and of course, the DVD) back.
If you are interested, send me a PM.

I have the album digitally but I'm dying to see the film, so this would benefit me as well. I wouldn't have to buy the full set then sell the CDs that I don't need.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5