Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri June 22nd, 2018, 18:56 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 11:35 GMT 

Has anyone else noticed how the sync (words/music) do not match the video? Or is it just my copy?
This is quite noticeable. Not good.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 12:05 GMT 

Drake wrote:
Has anyone else noticed how the sync (words/music) do not match the video? Or is it just my copy?

Yes, I noticed that too. Not always but from time to time. My feeling is, that the audio partly might be from other concerts than the footage.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 12:53 GMT 

I watched Shot Of Love last night. I was amazed by how close it is to the recorded version as heard on the album of the same name - more so than any Dylan live performance I can think of.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 14:40 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
Drake wrote:

Yes, I noticed that too. Not always but from time to time. My feeling is, that the audio partly might be from other concerts than the footage.

Yes. Intermittent, but annoying as all hell.
...y ‘know, ‘annoying as all hell’ is a pretty stupid expression now that I think of it. Hell is a lot worse than annoying, one would surmise.

Anyway, they botched this production aspect, but the collection as a whole is outstanding.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 15:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yes the video and audio seemed more out of sync on the first couple tracks. But it seemed to get better later in the movie.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 15:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think the timing for this project is great. Like a lot of people, I pretty much avoided this era, as I'm naturally repelled by people laying the gospel trip on me. But, knowing now that this was kind of the end era of Bob's quality singing, and the huge production effort put in(backup singers etc. etc.), it provides a treasure trove of high end Dylan performances and a whole new chapter to digest. I'm really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu November 16th, 2017, 01:52 GMT 

My guess is that the video footage on each track came from more than one show. Probably the audio and most of the video came from one show, and for editing purposes, footage from another show was mixed in. This would be typical production practice to cover camera mistakes or transitions. Maybe that's why there's no good answer on "where did the shows come from?" Maybe a better question is "where did the audio for this track come from?"

PostPosted: Thu November 16th, 2017, 04:45 GMT 

Drake wrote:

This is hard to believe. I find it difficult to watch - which is a shame because the footage is so good!
It seems to run through everything, extras, are all off. Come on Sony!!

PostPosted: Thu November 16th, 2017, 07:59 GMT 

trovahead wrote:
Drake wrote:

This is hard to believe. I find it difficult to watch - which is a shame because the footage is so good!
It seems to run through everything, extras, are all off. Come on Sony!!

It's just a physical issue. Light is faster than sound.
So you only have to find out the correct distance to your screen.

ironie off

PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 12:11 GMT 

Can this be got on its own? :P

PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 12:19 GMT 

I think a decent bootleg of the pro-shot Toronto DVD trumps this in every regard. Either release an entire concert in good quality; or use the footage to make a decent documentary. Trouble No More flirts with doing both and opts to do neither.

PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 12:21 GMT 

mikepierce wrote:
My guess is that the video footage on each track came from more than one show. Probably the audio and most of the video came from one show, and for editing purposes, footage from another show was mixed in.

Yes, they obviously did this to have more camera angles and thus greater variety in the cinematography. They did the same thing with the 1966 concert footage in No Direction Home. It's done all the time by everybody in film editing.

PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 13:34 GMT 

Scandal pur.

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 10:03 GMT 

Just watching it. Surprisingly, I'm enjoying Michael Shannon's performances of the sermons. Currently, neither his Wikipedia nor IMDB entries mention this performance. I wonder whose idea it was to include these sermons? If not Bob's, then I wonder how he feels about it?

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 10:33 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Just watching it. Surprisingly, I'm enjoying Michael Shannon's performances of the sermons. Currently, neither his Wikipedia nor IMDB entries mention this performance. I wonder whose idea it was to include these sermons? If not Bob's, then I wonder how he feels about it?

To me, the sermons seem just the kind of concept that Dylan would come up with.

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 10:44 GMT 

Cant imagine they would be on there without Dylan's say so. Given the excising of the raps I'd be pretty confident he had input into them.

I love the DVD. I think it lifts the whole set to have video of performance alongside the music.

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 12:59 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I enjoyed the sermons on the DVD. In some parts they reminded me of monologues in Masked and Anonymous. I wouldn't be surprised if Sergei Petrov and Luc Sante had shared some ideas.

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 15:44 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:
I think a decent bootleg of the pro-shot Toronto DVD trumps this in every regard. Either release an entire concert in good quality; or use the footage to make a decent documentary. Trouble No More flirts with doing both and opts to do neither.

Does anyone have a link where I can get the upgraded Toronto show, It is no longer available in the UK on youtube.

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 16:27 GMT 

motherwell wrote:
Somebody Naked wrote:

Does anyone have a link where I can get the upgraded Toronto show, It is no longer available in the UK on youtube.

Mt thanks to BobDylan66 for pointing me in the right direction. Due to his/her help, I have now got it

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 16:29 GMT 

Anychance of that upgraded link please. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 16:47 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
Anychance of that upgraded link please. :wink:

I don't know how to PM you. I tried but cant work out how to do it. If you know how to do it, send me a PM ,and I will forward it

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 17:02 GMT 

Upgraded Toronto? Yes please, I’ll take pm.

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 17:16 GMT 

I sent you a pm Mr Well.

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 17:52 GMT 

I watched the whole DVD last night.

I was particularly moved by the piano duet, if I am not mistaken with Clydie King, of Abraham, Martin and John. I couldn't help but think that perhaps Mr Zimmerman when singing the line "Seen my old friend Bobby" was thinking of himself in a prophetic sense when he, the good, die young and not just Robert Kennedy.

It's the last track on the DVD.

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 17:54 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
I sent you a pm Mr Well.
Would appreciate a PM on updated Toronto :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next