Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 18th, 2018, 13:42 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Will You buy the Live 1966 box?
Poll ended at Thu November 10th, 2016, 12:11 GMT
Yes 60%  60%  [ 93 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 39 ]
Still don't know 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 155
PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 18:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

It is the first one in ages that I've considered buying, rather than copying - and yesterday I found it pretty cheap (relatively) then I discovered someone had stuck a hundred quid into my Paypal account, so in effect it is free - If that isn't serendipity I dunno what is. It is some of the best music ever made. I can always sell it and keep a digital copy, so YES. I've already bought it.

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 19:00 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Will it be released digitally or only on clunky cd's?

I don't know and don't care, frankly. I'm an old collector. I like my media to be physical. Vinyl, CD's, cardboard boxes and paper booklets. Things I can gaze at, and touch.

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 19:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

slimtimslide wrote:
It is the first one in ages that I've considered buying, rather than copying - and yesterday I found it pretty cheap (relatively) then I discovered someone had stuck a hundred quid into my Paypal account, so in effect it is free - If that isn't serendipity I dunno what is. It is some of the best music ever made. I can always sell it and keep a digital copy, so YES. I've already bought it.

Can you give this person my PayPal account number too?

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 19:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

I wouldn't mind at some future time. The price is tempting. Just not really clamoring for it right now. I'll have to somehow rekindle my enthrallment with this era Dylan. I have some old LP and CD "versions" of some of this stuff gathering dust...

Hope this doesn't further put off the next "real" BS release, which is hopefully BOTT.

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 19:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

Anr Bjotk wrote:

The rumors are you'll have to stick with the clunky CDs.

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 19:17 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

The rumors are you'll have to stick with the clunky CDs.

Then what's my incentive for not downloading it illegally...? :?

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 19:26 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:

I don't know; your integrity, perhaps..?

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 20:09 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

holy cow

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 20:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

pol2jem wrote:
I must be missing something :

Too expensive???

£100 for 36 CD's.

£2.78 per CD.

Bob Dylan 1966 tour. Forever preserved in a beautiful box.

Starbucks. One Caramel Machiato. £3.05 (apparently - I don't drink the stuff myself)

One pint of beer in England. £3.38 (apparently - I don't drink the stuff myself)

Glug, glug, glug. Gone.

Yes you are missing something and it's pretty simple. When I said it was too expensive that means it is too expensive in my opinion. I am not willing to spend that much money on it.

However if you want to spend that much money on it be my guest. How you spend your money is your business.

There is another factor in this. 36 CDs is a bit too much for me to be willing to sit down and listen to. If they sold them as single CDs maybe I'd buy a few and listen to those.

And since I don't patronize Starbucks and drink beer that comparison doesn't impress me.

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 21:10 GMT 

A$160 for everything circulating from the most important tour in music history (sorry Beatles fans)? I'd pay more just for Paris.

Cheers, SLuggy

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 21:39 GMT 

I will buy it because I do not like to listen anymore how Dylan is "learning" songs, practicing again and again like on Cutting Edge, trying out which version could be the best, and because I´m curious of songs performed again and again on different shows, each version neccessary and the only possible that night. And because it´s, for a good price, so much music that somebody who doesn´t like Dylan said to me: This is the highest penalty.

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 22:48 GMT 

It is certainly good value. However, there are only so many hours in a day. I'll restrict myself to the RAH release. If digital versions follow, I would be interested in some songs additional to the repeated ones.

I have come to conclude that excessive quantity tends to inhibit depth of listening. When I first listened to Dylan over forty years ago, it was to play him over and over countless times, and always it seemed fresh and new. Now I have so much that I rarely, if ever, get time to listen to. To me, even the sheer volume becomes off-putting-one has to decide what to listen to, then find it! It was better when I hadn't enough of him.

PostPosted: Sat October 1st, 2016, 22:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

This release is "better" than Cutting Edge. And much cheaper!

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 00:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

It's what's being released, so that's where the money goes. Simple.

Obtain it first, then figure out how/when to listen.
That will happen naturally.

Sometimes it takes weeks to get these things outta the cellophane.
Sometimes the seal never gets broken.

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 00:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

Those who have been here a while know my answer... For those who haven't been around a while, a simple question... Why would anyone bother with this when you have NET shows available?

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 00:50 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:

Those who have been here a while know my answer... For those who haven't been around a while, a simple question... Why would anyone bother with this when you have NET shows available?

Because I want to hear Robbie Robertson on guitar, not 'just a lookalike'! *

Cheers, SLuggy

* See Red Bluff, 2002

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 01:00 GMT 

pol2jem wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 03:25 GMT 

I'm just enerally getting very sick of these "everything and the kitchen sink" releases over the last few years. BS8 and 10 were such revelations because they wer carefully curated and completely made me rethink their respective eras. I know exactly what I'm in for here and while it's definitely a well priced set I just know I won't listen to that many shows more than once. I didn't download these boots when they were free why would I buy them now. I'll grab the RAH Vinyl because it will be nice to have another show from that tour to put on and the Manchester sound quality grates on me a bit but overall I'm really REALLY tired of these massive sixties cash cows.

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 03:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:
I'm just enerally getting very sick of these "everything and the kitchen sink" releases over the last few years. BS8 and 10 were such revelations because they wer carefully curated and completely made me rethink their respective eras. I know exactly what I'm in for here and while it's definitely a well priced set I just know I won't listen to that many shows more than once. I didn't download these boots when they were free why would I buy them now. I'll grab the RAH Vinyl because it will be nice to have another show from that tour to put on and the Manchester sound quality grates on me a bit but overall I'm really REALLY tired of these massive sixties cash cows.

Comparison to Bootleg Series releases isn't quite fair. This isn't one. It's a full live tour release. One that I hope is the first of many such releases!!

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 04:03 GMT 

I didn't like how Cutting Edge was released, I didn't really appreciate the Basement Tapes as a new fan in 2014 (I later realize how bad I want them and will get them at some point). This on the other hand peaked my interest big time, I didn't know why at first but then realized how alive the songs sound in this.

Though I will admit I'm still a bit salty on how they snuck in the '65 release to the Cutting Edge peeps with the download links. I would have paid decent coin for the '65 tapes and shows including the Savoy tapes in entirety, but I could literally have cared less about 75% of the recorded stuff in the studio. There are some cool parts, but not what I'm looking for as Bob in '65 is what really got me into Bob musically, specifically the Savoy It's All Over Now Baby Blue.

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 05:16 GMT 

To buy or not to buy...

Buy it if you want.
Don't buy it if you don't want.

Buy it or not (download it)... that is the question ...

Any dylanologist cops here? :lol:

This thread seems like a fish aucion now. How much it cost the fresh fish? How much it cost a kilogram of cd's?

C'mon people, do you really want to talk about integrity? Feel free to do what you want, if you want to touch and smell: buy. If you only want to listen... don't buy and wait... maybe you will be lucky or not.

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 06:50 GMT 

Not buying, though I think the price is fair (compared with CE, especially), because: 1) have a few shows from that set already in acceptable qualitly (and haven't listened to them in quite a while), 2) no longer interested in hearing 35 versions of one song in successive gigs and noticing how the phrasing of one line has changed here or there, 3) not so interested in 60s Dylan anymore. However, I'd consider buying the Rolling Thunder (both 75 and 76 versions) equivalent containing all the shows, and I would listen to all 46 versions of Isis - again and again and again.

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 07:55 GMT 

After re-listening to some songs of the "Rites Of Spring" compilation from the Thousand Highways blog, the likelihood of me buying this has jumped from 95% to 99% 8)

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 07:58 GMT 

It's probably the only tour in music history that I've ever wanted to own in its entirety, or ever will. Come April/May I might try and listen to it all in real time.

PostPosted: Sun October 2nd, 2016, 09:31 GMT 

carnap wrote:
Yes you are missing something and it's pretty simple. When I said it was too expensive that means it is too expensive in my opinion. I am not willing to spend that much money on it.

However if you want to spend that much money on it be my guest. How you spend your money is your business.

There is another factor in this. 36 CDs is a bit too much for me to be willing to sit down and listen to. If they sold them as single CDs maybe I'd buy a few and listen to those.

And since I don't patronize Starbucks and drink beer that comparison doesn't impress me.

:) I'm less confused now.

I now understand that it doesn't represent value for money to you. To me, that's different to being "too expensive".

Surely it's indisputable that the price, for the commoditiy being marketed, is as cheap as chips. If it were 3 times the price it would represent good value to me. And if they did sell them as single CDs the total cost probably would be 3 times the price of the box as a single CD over here normally retails for £9.

No, I don't patronise coffee shops or drink alcohol either. Too expensive for me. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next