Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue August 21st, 2018, 13:38 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Sat July 30th, 2016, 22:16 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
It's been speculated on here that she was linked to the leaking of the mid-80s outtakes and rehearsals that appeared recently. What's more, and I can't help but wonder... a private family photo of Dylan, Sara and their children also recently surfaced. l:

I must've missed this photo, could you post a link?

The most interesting thing I gathered from the book is the date that Dylan gave as the exact date he reconnected with performing (Nov. 5, 1987) seems to be the same date in the book that the author and and Bob got busy. Coincidence I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sat July 30th, 2016, 23:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4673&p=1579648&hilit=jesse#p1579606

PostPosted: Sun July 31st, 2016, 00:11 GMT 

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed August 17th, 2016, 15:39 GMT 

rolling_thunder wrote:
Writing a book about a relationship you had with a Celebrity reeks of desperation and immorality to me. There are things in life that is nobody's business. What goes on between two people in a Romantic Relationship is most definitely one of them.

On page 178 -- I think it's far from over between them! Isn't that what all romantic relationships are about - messy & awkward?! :x :roll: this will potentially help other people.

PostPosted: Wed August 17th, 2016, 15:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4673&p=1579648&hilit=jesse#p1579606

This picture I have seen before, at least I think I have. I think it was in a book or something a long time ago. I remember because it was in higher quality than that one. I just don't know where or when I saw it.

PostPosted: Wed August 17th, 2016, 23:03 GMT 

The saddest thing about this is the tawdry nature of it all. The woman spent a few months with Dylan at most and it has cast such a huge shadow over her life, whereas for Dylan she was probably just one of many women to come in and out of his life.
At the end all she has to show for it is a few dodgy bootlegs (sorry, but those '85 discs are garbage!), and her questionable book. Of course I'll read the book, but only when the price drops!

PostPosted: Thu August 18th, 2016, 00:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

I've had my heart broken for less :lol:

If my local library gets this I'll surely read it - from the reviews it doesn't seem to be a terrible book, or one that was maliciously motivated.

PostPosted: Thu August 18th, 2016, 23:31 GMT 

I am reading the book now and a lot better than i thought......an interesting read in what Bob does on his time off.......summing it about well kind of like his fourth album"Another side of Bob Dylan''.M

PostPosted: Fri August 19th, 2016, 00:35 GMT 

Agreed! I enjoy the vignettes, like hollering into a canyon "I'm forty and fabulous" -- the central character (Britta) evolved!

PostPosted: Fri August 19th, 2016, 01:50 GMT 

smoke wrote:

If my local library gets this I'll surely read it - from the reviews it doesn't seem to be a terrible book, or one that was maliciously motivated.

It doesn't read that way. It reads like a memoir by a woman writing about what was likely the most surreal time in her life. I'm not totally done with it yet but I've enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri August 19th, 2016, 05:56 GMT 

Probably true, Kevin, an excellent observation! I agree and think, less kindly, that she is navigating through her own neediness more than anything else, or as Dylan notes (stoic that he is) that she is "weak." :roll:

PostPosted: Sat August 20th, 2016, 19:57 GMT 

My illness kept me bedridden for a couple days. To pass the time, I downloaded the book onto my Kindle and read it. I recommend it to all Dylan fans.

An excerpt:

One night, Ernie and I are up at the Malibu house, and I ask Bob if I can see his artwork. One of his charcoals is going to be sold at an auction to raise money for the Live Aid Foundation. He walks me into the kitchen, of all places, where a work in progress rests on an easel near the sink.

It's a man's face. I don't know whose. But, unlike the simple drawings that had just appeared in "Lyrics 1962-1985," here Bob's attention to detail and bold strokes have exaggerated the fellow's features in such a way that even though I don't recognize the guy, it's like he's right there in the room.

"Wow!" I say. "You're really good!" Then, in a bold move of my own, I reach out and fondly squeeze Dylan's arm. To my horror, his spongy flesh feels lifeless. Dead. Like there's nobody there.

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2016, 16:51 GMT 

bella wrote:
Probably true, Kevin, an excellent observation! I agree and think, less kindly, that she is navigating through her own neediness more than anything else, or as Dylan notes (stoic that he is) that she is "weak." :roll:

Less kindly? You just disapprove her singing about it. She's shouting her fallibility throughout the book but willing to make some nickels from it. How tawdry! Not making honest bucks like the rest of us.

PostPosted: Sun August 21st, 2016, 17:16 GMT 

Kevin Davis wrote:
smoke wrote:

It doesn't read that way. It reads like a memoir by a woman writing about what was likely the most surreal time in her life. I'm not totally done with it yet but I've enjoyed it.

Hardly surreal. In reality she worked it for years.

PostPosted: Sun January 15th, 2017, 01:15 GMT 

Just finished it and I liked it a lot!

PostPosted: Sun January 15th, 2017, 05:09 GMT 

I liked Britta and her perspective a lot! It would be excruciatingly hard to come down from such a high place, even though brief. She precipitates the process well. Yes, she made a few bucks, but she is also a successful writer and shared her journey. He (Dylan) comes off as slightly wooden and paranoid which she probably does on purpose. He is also not really the main character, which I liked. It was an Interesting summer read.

PostPosted: Tue February 6th, 2018, 04:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

What 1987 concert did she say Sara attended?

PostPosted: Tue February 6th, 2018, 20:41 GMT 

She says Dylan received a phone call from Sara Dylan at the beginning of the Birmingham, England run (October 10), inquiring about Dylan buying baby clothes. Sounded like she was back in the States, but don't know for sure. According to Shain, Mrs. Dylan had just become aware of the baby from the Dylan and Carol Dennis union. (If true, that's a bit of elapsed time, from early 1986 until late 1987.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8