Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 25th, 2018, 16:42 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks?
PostPosted: Mon July 25th, 2016, 20:12 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22668
Contacts Among Lumberjacks wrote:
Am I the only the only one who thinks Blood On The Tracks isn't worth all the praise it gets? It has some great songwriting, no doubt. The outtakes are good, too. I just think the songs were better during The Rolling Thunder Revue. I absolutely love Tangled Up in Blue from Live 1975

I'm guessing you probably like the Fallen Shadows stuff then too, Lumberjack?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks?
PostPosted: Mon July 25th, 2016, 20:21 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 22nd, 2016, 01:26 GMT
Posts: 73
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Contacts Among Lumberjacks wrote:
Am I the only the only one who thinks Blood On The Tracks isn't worth all the praise it gets? It has some great songwriting, no doubt. The outtakes are good, too. I just think the songs were better during The Rolling Thunder Revue. I absolutely love Tangled Up in Blue from Live 1975

I'm guessing you probably like the Fallen Shadows stuff then too, Lumberjack?

Actually no, Mr. Barefoot


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks?
PostPosted: Mon July 25th, 2016, 21:53 GMT 

Joined: Mon June 27th, 2016, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 1337
Hungryhoss wrote:
Contacts Among Lumberjacks wrote:
Am I the only the only one who thinks Blood On The Tracks isn't worth all the praise it gets? It has some great songwriting, no doubt. The outtakes are good, too. I just think the songs were better during The Rolling Thunder Revue. I absolutely love Tangled Up in Blue from Live 1975


How much is all the praise it gets worth?

maybe take it to the pawn shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks?
PostPosted: Mon July 25th, 2016, 22:40 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 7th, 2014, 22:20 GMT
Posts: 115
Location: PA
trevgibb wrote:
Its his flawed masterpiece.

He should never have rerecorded in Minneapolis.

The NY Sessions were THE definitives.

Had it come out as originally planned I'd say it was his best album. But sadly it didn't.

John Wesley Harding is his best album.



I have been frequenting this site for a long time and the Highway 61 list server before that and have never read such truth or at least found someone who agrees with me on this.

Well, TOOM is my favorite but I was listening to JWH this morning and was particularly moved so you're in luck as it's usually my number two.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks?
PostPosted: Tue July 26th, 2016, 05:56 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon October 18th, 2010, 03:16 GMT
Posts: 1502
Contacts Among Lumberjacks wrote:
Am I the only the only one who thinks Blood On The Tracks isn't worth all the praise it gets? It has some great songwriting, no doubt. The outtakes are good, too. I just think the songs were better during The Rolling Thunder Revue. I absolutely love Tangled Up in Blue from Live 1975


Well, not the only one, but it's a pretty small group. You could probably hold a convention inside a phone boot. There are albums that rival BotT, but not many. And though it has its dud (which album, sans HI61 or BoB, doesn't?)
I mean I could live happily without Buckets Of Rain or You're A Big Girl Now. Or even If You See Her, Say Hello - though I know I'm in a minority there). But the awesome spectacle that is Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts* or Tangled Up In Blue alone makes it a singular acheivment.
And Meet Me In The Morning or You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When you Go, though not mind blowing, has those little folky, reference based tones
that in equal measures pays dues and carry the genre to a new generation.

I'll concede that Idiot Wind was better during the 1975 tour.

*Which is still the best song I've ever heard. So good that I refuse to listen to it more thant twice a year, lest I grow tired and have no reason to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Tue July 26th, 2016, 06:25 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 22nd, 2016, 01:26 GMT
Posts: 73
I think you guys have convinced me. I'm gonna have to listen to Blood on the Tracks a few more times. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks?
PostPosted: Tue July 26th, 2016, 06:31 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon October 18th, 2010, 03:16 GMT
Posts: 1502
trevgibb wrote:
John Wesley Harding is his best album.


Was that a joke? Because it's not very funny...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks?
PostPosted: Tue July 26th, 2016, 07:31 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu July 10th, 2008, 15:11 GMT
Posts: 11735
Location: brighton uk
Anr Bjotk wrote:

I'll concede that Idiot Wind was better during the 1975 tour.



Did he play Idiot Wind on the '75 tour?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Tue July 26th, 2016, 08:04 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun March 15th, 2009, 10:59 GMT
Posts: 3935
Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
There are only a few Dylan albums that are really very well crafted and perfect all around.
Blood On The Tracks stands on top of that list.
I would also add Oh Mercy and HW61
Many others are not "round" enough for the casual listener.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Tue July 26th, 2016, 08:29 GMT 

Joined: Wed June 8th, 2016, 15:58 GMT
Posts: 420
I don't think any of Dylan's stuff is for the casual listener. It certainly doesn't work well as background music and its

hardly danceable (thankfully) . It demands your attention otherwise you won't get it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Tue July 26th, 2016, 10:40 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22668
Contacts Among Lumberjacks wrote:
I think you guys have convinced me. I'm gonna have to listen to Blood on the Tracks a few more times. :lol:

Glad you're gonna let it, you won't regret it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Tue July 26th, 2016, 22:52 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 22nd, 2016, 01:26 GMT
Posts: 73
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Glad you're gonna let it, you won't regret it.

You like John Wesley Harding too, then?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Wed July 27th, 2016, 00:06 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 22668
Contacts Among Lumberjacks wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Glad you're gonna let it, you won't regret it.

You like John Wesley Harding too, then?


Actually, yes Mr. Lumberjack.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Wed July 27th, 2016, 01:16 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 22nd, 2016, 01:26 GMT
Posts: 73
I can't argue with you on that one. John Wesley Harding is very good album. Very interesting to listen to multiple times. Each listen provides new meanings to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks?
PostPosted: Wed July 27th, 2016, 22:44 GMT 

Joined: Tue March 8th, 2005, 12:56 GMT
Posts: 426
Anr Bjotk wrote:
trevgibb wrote:
John Wesley Harding is his best album.


Was that a joke? Because it's not very funny...


I'm serious. It's a masterpiece of arrangement and craft. It features his best singing and his best harmonica playing, yes it may not have the sprawling epic ballads, but the songs are perfectly moulded. The lyrics are masterful and of a totally different style than any of his other work before it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Wed July 27th, 2016, 22:47 GMT 

Joined: Tue March 8th, 2005, 12:56 GMT
Posts: 426
The closest albums to JWH in terms of subtle arrangement and measure are probably Nashville Skyline and Love And Theft


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Wed July 27th, 2016, 23:10 GMT 

Joined: Tue March 8th, 2005, 12:56 GMT
Posts: 426
as to JWH

I keep coming back to its honesty, its quiet, its reserve, its grace, its diction, its tone, it's depth, its melody, it's mood, its narrative, it's knowledge, its concision, its profundity, its biblicism, its wisdom, its divinity, its prophecy, its craft, its subtleties, its perfection, its a standalone in his career.

All of the above I'm unable to say about many other Bob Dylan albums which contain far greater songs.

I could have said all that and more about Blood on the Tracks if it had been released as promised before David Zimmerman placed doubt in his brothers mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Thu March 1st, 2018, 16:59 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 18484
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
On this date in 1975, Blood On The Tracks was released. An album that has earned much praise, and deservedly so. A great album, maybe even top shelf for Bob. And the tracks from this play well when he's motivated or inspired to include them in the setlist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Thu March 1st, 2018, 17:08 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 6878
Location: in the mystic garden
Cheers to those Tracks! Still Bob’s masterpiece.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Thu March 1st, 2018, 19:23 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 2044
Untrodden Path wrote:
On this date in 1975, Blood On The Tracks was released. An album that has earned much praise, and deservedly so. A great album, maybe even top shelf for Bob. And the tracks from this play well when he's motivated or inspired to include them in the setlist.


Maybe even top shelf? You are one month too early.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Thu March 1st, 2018, 19:32 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 1094
McG wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:
On this date in 1975, Blood On The Tracks was released. An album that has earned much praise, and deservedly so. A great album, maybe even top shelf for Bob. And the tracks from this play well when he's motivated or inspired to include them in the setlist.


Maybe even top shelf?

Don´t forget you are talking to a man who ranks Christmas at the heart way above Blonde on blonde


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Thu March 1st, 2018, 20:02 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri December 31st, 2010, 12:18 GMT
Posts: 598
Location: Where The Neon Madmen Climb
trevgibb wrote:
as to JWH

I keep coming back to its honesty, its quiet, its reserve, its grace, its diction, its tone, it's depth, its melody, it's mood, its narrative, it's knowledge, its concision, its profundity, its biblicism, its wisdom, its divinity, its prophecy, its craft, its subtleties, its perfection, its a standalone in his career.

All of the above I'm unable to say about many other Bob Dylan albums which contain far greater songs.



I missed this comment when it was first made. Well said Sir Trev!

(I've recently listened a couple of times to the Thea Gilmore JWH "tribute" album released in 2011. It's not a patch on the original, but it's pretty good.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Thu March 1st, 2018, 21:37 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 2044
pol2jem wrote:
trevgibb wrote:
as to JWH

I keep coming back to its honesty, its quiet, its reserve, its grace, its diction, its tone, it's depth, its melody, it's mood, its narrative, it's knowledge, its concision, its profundity, its biblicism, its wisdom, its divinity, its prophecy, its craft, its subtleties, its perfection, its a standalone in his career.


All of the above I'm unable to say about many other Bob Dylan albums which contain far greater songs.



I missed this comment when it was first made. Well said Sir Trev!

(I've recently listened a couple of times to the Thea Gilmore JWH "tribute" album released in 2011. It's not a patch on the original, but it's pretty good.)


I saw Thea Gilmore perform JWH live. Amazing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Thu March 1st, 2018, 22:35 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 18484
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
McG wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:
On this date in 1975, Blood On The Tracks was released. An album that has earned much praise, and deservedly so. A great album, maybe even top shelf for Bob. And the tracks from this play well when he's motivated or inspired to include them in the setlist.


Maybe even top shelf?

wormington wrote:
Don´t forget you are talking to a man who ranks Christmas at the heart way above Blonde on blonde

Emphasis here is on WAY ABOVE but otherwise, you're spot on!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blood On The Tracks
PostPosted: Thu March 1st, 2018, 22:49 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 2044
What a time to be alive!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dTjaques, Narrow Way


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group