Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun August 19th, 2018, 18:59 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri October 24th, 2014, 22:52 GMT 

Put another way: is there anything on A Tree with Roots that isn't on the six-disc Bootleg Series Vol. 11: The Basement Tapes Complete?

PostPosted: Fri October 24th, 2014, 23:10 GMT 

this question has been answered multiple times on this forum

i believe there are some instrumentals and songs by the band on ATWR that arent included in this release, but im more familiar with other basement bootlegs so im not 100% sure

i can tell you there are no tracks with dylan singing on ATWR that arent included on the new release
the new bootleg series has 30 unheard tracks that you will not find on ATWR

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 00:22 GMT 

Thanks for that. Appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 01:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

The answer to the subject question is a resounding yes.

A Tree With Roots was a pioneer species that came in and made way for the up-and-coming Mature Forest.
A Tree With Roots is now standing-dead firewood.

It totally served its purpose and we are thankful for its existence.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 01:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Looking over Roots' track list, there seems to be only one pure instrumental on it (I'm not 100% sure about that, though). If so, I wonder why Sony didn't just throw it on the official release. Maybe they unearthed, like, TEN other unreleased instrumentals and didn't wanna bother.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 04:35 GMT 

Wait, I thought the next Bootleg Series was going to be about Blood on the Tracks?! He's releasing the complete basement tapes! Holy crap! When did this happen? My dream has come true!

EDIT: Ok, I just googled it, it was announced in August?! How did I not know about this?! (bangs head into wall repeatedly for being a bad Dylan fan). My favorite musician releases the complete remastered recordings of my (second) favorite phase of his recording career and I don't find out about it until 2 months after it's announced...cripes. :roll:

On the bright side...holy crap my life is now worth living! :D :shock:

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 05:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:

I think there will be a special place in my heart forever for the sound quality of a tree with roots

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 06:19 GMT 
Mercury Member

And the sequencing- I know they didn't have Garth's numbering to go on but I've got used to knowing what's on which disc.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 07:46 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
The answer to the subject question is a resounding yes.

A Tree With Roots was a pioneer species that came in and made way for the up-and-coming Mature Forest.
A Tree With Roots is now standing-dead firewood.

It totally served its purpose and we are thankful for its existence.

Well put , mr foot .

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 09:22 GMT 

ginsberg65 wrote:
Does Bootleg Series 11 obsolete A Tree with Roots?
camilla's house wrote:
Not really, Snarky! And the answer is entirely subjective.
If you're really interested in the minutiae of compare/contrast, you've got to hit the steve hoffman forum.
Things get rolling on Aug. 25 here-
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/bob-dylans-basement-tapes-where-were-at-currently.349311/page-13
I suspect those who will continue to listen to TWR beyond this release will be cut from the same jib as 78 collectors.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 12:14 GMT 

ForeignSun wrote:
Wait, I thought the next Bootleg Series was going to be about Blood on the Tracks?! He's releasing the complete basement tapes! Holy crap! When did this happen? My dream has come true!

EDIT: Ok, I just googled it, it was announced in August?! How did I not know about this?! (bangs head into wall repeatedly for being a bad Dylan fan). My favorite musician releases the complete remastered recordings of my (second) favorite phase of his recording career and I don't find out about it until 2 months after it's announced...cripes. :roll:

On the bright side...holy crap my life is now worth living! :D :shock:

No, you've come in at the right time. The rest of us have been arguing, fretting, hypothesising, twitching, debating online ordering and generally getting upset and sometimes hysterical as the days roll slowly by until November 4th. Last week I went into a record shop and blew 30 quid on Sidetracks without thinking about it. This was all down to The Basement Tapes coming out. I couldn't put up with the tension anymore and had to get some new Dylan on vinyl to keep my mind at rest. It's half-worked.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 12:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

AndoDoug wrote:
ginsberg65 wrote:
camilla's house wrote:

Not really, Snarky!
I suspect those who will continue to listen to TWR beyond this release will be cut from the same jib as 78 collectors

Not really, Dougy!
78 collectors tend to reject post 40s musical genres/ tastes as well as the sound (for their own very consistent reasons)
I might play TWR from time to time in the future.
For old time's sake!
The sound as has been mentioned a number of times, is really a lot better than many believe.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 15:24 GMT 

ForeignSun wrote:

Hahahahahaha, how foreign is your sun? Crawl out your window (if you have them on your planet) look up, how many moons do you see? :lol:
Brilliant post, made me laugh out loud. I think I woke up to the news the day after it was announced, I'd been following the Basement Tape discussion over on the SH Forums, so I logged in as normal & it took at least half a dozen posts for me to realize what had happened the day before. I just kept looking at it but not really taking it in at all. I think every one was expecting the BOTT sessions to be the next BS installment.

The only things i'll keep from the bootlegs will be the instrumentals and any other track where Sony has cut out any of the pre & post track chatter. Please tell me they wont, although they do have a poor history on this, compare your tape of Philharmonic Hall 1964 to the BS release, an absolute disgrace, 19 songs & 15 of them have their intros remove. :shock:

As for the original BT official release, that's now an important document on the BT recording sessions, different mixes, overdubs & the like, it becomes even more indispensable.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 16:09 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
ginsberg65 wrote:
camilla's house wrote:
Not really, Snarky! And the answer is entirely subjective.
If you're really interested in the minutiae of compare/contrast, you've got to hit the steve hoffman forum.
Things get rolling on Aug. 25 here-
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/bob-dylans-basement-tapes-where-were-at-currently.349311/page-13
I suspect those who will continue to listen to TWR beyond this release will be cut from the same jib as 78 collectors.

its not subjective at all when the person asking the question gives a clear definition of what "obsolete" means to them

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 19:33 GMT 

I don't think it makes ATwR obsolete, but I'm 99% certain it makes ATwR illegal. I mean, ATwR might even be illegal right now, but bootlegs exist in a murky area. It won't be a bootleg in a few weeks. It will be a copy of material that's being legally distributed elsewhere. You can try to argue that the stuff on ATwR is "different" than what is being released, but hahahaha. They're the exact same songs culled from the same takes. Rebels, the lot of us.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 20:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

leavinclaud wrote:

Not really, Dougy!
78 collectors tend to reject post 40s musical genres/ tastes as well as the sound (for their own very consistent reasons)

Actually, some of the most fervent 78 collecting surrounds 1950's R & R and R & B. Especially rarer issues as the format was phased out. And the young kids these days want the rock music , not Rudy Vallee.

I've my TWR discs stacked on the CD player. For some reason I feel like taking a trawl through it before the new ones arrive. I'm not getting rid of them in any case.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 20:55 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
ForeignSun wrote:

Hahahahahaha, how foreign is your sun? Crawl out your window (if you have them on your planet) look up, how many moons do you see? :lol:
Brilliant post, made me laugh out loud. I think I woke up to the news the day after it was announced, I'd been following the Basement Tape discussion over on the SH Forums, so I logged in as normal & it took at least half a dozen posts for me to realize what had happened the day before. I just kept looking at it but not really taking it in at all. I think every one was expecting the BOTT sessions to be the next BS installment.

The only things i'll keep from the bootlegs will be the instrumentals and any other track where Sony has cut out any of the pre & post track chatter. Please tell me they wont, although they do have a poor history on this, compare your tape of Philharmonic Hall 1964 to the BS release, an absolute disgrace, 19 songs & 15 of them have their intros remove. :shock:

As for the original BT official release, that's now an important document on the BT recording sessions, different mixes, overdubs & the like, it becomes even more indispensable.

:lol: I listen to Bob's music every day, and I LOVE the Basement Tapes (my favorite version is the Garth Hudson safety reel), so I'm astounded that I somehow managed to crawl under a rock and miss this groundbreaking event. I had a double knee replacement in June, so I had a lot of free time over the summer, most of which I spent reading about Bob (read Chronicles and three biographies), and collecting bootleg CDs of his music. August 26th was the week I went back to work and I've been pretty swamped ever since then, not a lot of time to pay attention to Bobby. But still, this is huge news, and that's no excuse for not hearing about it! I feel as foolish as someone who just now found out Obama was re-elected or Robin Williams is dead or Ebola is rampant in Africa...I've even browsed ER (however briefly) since August, and just assumed all of those threads about BS11 were about Blood on the Tracks!

Speaking of BOTT, are there still plans to release the outtakes as part of the BS? Could that be the twelfth installment?

EDIT: Looked over the track listing, listened to the Odds and Ends sample...I think I need to lay down for a while. Holy mother of god...the only thing that could possibly be better than this is a release of all salvageable recordings from the Blonde on Blonde sessions (my favorite album of all time).

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 22:11 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
compare your tape of Philharmonic Hall 1964 to the BS release, an absolute disgrace, 19 songs & 15 of them have their intros remove.

Looking at this again, it appears that the intros are on the CD's, they have been placed as outros to the preceding song. What a strange way to publish an archive/legacy release.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 22:16 GMT 

ForeignSun wrote:
Looked over the track listing, listened to the Odds and Ends sample...I think I need to lay down for a while

Did you catch this lot:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79895&start=675#p1520290

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 22:24 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
hollowhorn wrote:
compare your tape of Philharmonic Hall 1964 to the BS release, an absolute disgrace, 19 songs & 15 of them have their intros remove.

Looking at this again, it appears that the intros are on the CD's, they have been placed as outros to the preceding song. What a strange way to publish an archive/legacy release.

definitely strange, i believe they did the same with some of the the no direction home BS songs

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 22:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
leavinclaud wrote:

Not really, Dougy!

Actually, some of the most fervent 78 collecting surrounds 1950's R & R and R & B. Especially rarer issues as the format was phased out. And the young kids these days want the rock music , not Rudy Vallee.

This.

PostPosted: Sat October 25th, 2014, 23:57 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
ForeignSun wrote:
Looked over the track listing, listened to the Odds and Ends sample...I think I need to lay down for a while

Did you catch this lot:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79895&start=675#p1520290

Oh lord...I'm so stoked! I'm counting the days until November 4th! Maybe its better that I didn't find out about this historic release until now...less days of anxious anticipation. :D

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2014, 08:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

Speaking of Trees....

The Banana is Gone!!!!

hollowhorn now has very deep eyes.

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2014, 11:09 GMT 

And after this month & next, very shallow pockets. :|

PostPosted: Tue October 28th, 2014, 11:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol: