Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 14th, 2018, 18:16 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed October 3rd, 2012, 23:07 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

I am uncomfortable with how this thread question has been phrased. It has an overtly sexual subtext that is inappropriate for a family forum.

We have some very young and very old contributors on this site and I do not think that they should have rampantly suggestive sexual innuendo rammed down their throats.

I would prefer it if the question was "Which Dylan song was the first that you did hear that you enjoyed so much that it made you look further into his magnificent catalogue of work?"

There is enough smut-filled filth in the world without having it taint this wonderful site... sex is a good thing when practised between two consenting folk who are married and wish to celebrate that union by making the lady 'be with child'... but it is not suitable on ER!

I am as open minded as anyone, but this vulgar sexual promiscuity makes me ooze with throbbingly pulsating lividness... it's sexual mania gone mad!

PostPosted: Wed October 3rd, 2012, 23:08 GMT 

^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed October 3rd, 2012, 23:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed October 3rd, 2012, 23:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:

I Believe in You. Heard it on the radio in 1980. Loved it and bought Slow Train. Then, some years later I bought Biograph, and Tangled Up in Blue and Visions of Johanna made me get Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde. And then I was lost.

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 01:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

UBSTU34 wrote:
Yeah.. he didn' have to reach for anything. He was in control of everything. Sometimes I think a few of the songs on Bringing It All Back Home and Highway 81 were a bit portentious and clumsy, like he was trying to write in an idiom that he hadn't quite mastered yet. The Times album is just so natural.

Good post.

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 02:54 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
One More Cup of Coffee from Renaldo & Clara, then Black Diamond Bay

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 11:22 GMT 

I was struck by You Angel You after having listened to the songs that most people like. And when I asked others how they felt about this song that said it wasn't that good at all, while I thought it was as good as the other ones. And from there it just went on..

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 11:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

North Country Blues

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 13:38 GMT 

I think I have written this before!

It was Queen Jane Approximately that done me in. I heard the second side of Highway 61 Revisited and my world changed.

I am still astonished. Speechless. Trying to find words to describe how that music connects with me. I probably never will.

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 19:22 GMT 

Brian Hamilton-Smith wrote:

It was Queen Jane Approximately that done me in. I heard the second side of Highway 61 Revisited and my world changed.

I am still astonished. Speechless. Trying to find words to describe how that music connects with me. I probably never will.

Same here, the only difference is I heard this as a listener's request on an oldies programme on the radio. It was early 1989, a couple of weeks before I turned 15. I couldn't grasp the "meaning" at all but I'd never heard something sounding so defiant and world-weary at the same time. And I'm forever grateful to whoever requested that song back then.

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 19:29 GMT 
Mercury Member

Brian Hamilton-Smith wrote:
I think I have written this before!

Wasn't my answer but a great one nonetheless.

This and Tom Thumb are way up there for me.

When I listen to HWY 61 I often start with side two.

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 20:07 GMT 

Jokerman

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 20:10 GMT 

it's all over now baby blue

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 21:06 GMT 

The Saw wrote:
The opening theme to Watchmen, The Times, They Are A' Changin.

Same here! :)

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 21:09 GMT 

thickboy wrote:
I am uncomfortable with how this thread question has been phrased. It has an overtly sexual subtext that is inappropriate for a family forum.

We have some very young and very old contributors on this site and I do not think that they should have rampantly suggestive sexual innuendo rammed down their throats.

I would prefer it if the question was "Which Dylan song was the first that you did hear that you enjoyed so much that it made you look further into his magnificent catalogue of work?"

There is enough smut-filled filth in the world without having it taint this wonderful site... sex is a good thing when practised between two consenting folk who are married and wish to celebrate that union by making the lady 'be with child'... but it is not suitable on ER!

I am as open minded as anyone, but this vulgar sexual promiscuity makes me ooze with throbbingly pulsating lividness... it's sexual mania gone mad!

....What? :?

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 21:23 GMT 

TangledUpInBlack wrote:
The Saw wrote:
The opening theme to Watchmen, The Times, They Are A' Changin.

Same here! :)

Nice.

PostPosted: Thu October 4th, 2012, 21:28 GMT 

I remember being turned onto The Times They Are-A Changin' on an episode of the Wonder Years.

PostPosted: Sat October 6th, 2012, 16:57 GMT 

"Don't Think Twice" is the first song I remember connecting to, about age 15.

I actually thought it was John Prine at first, cuz my Dad listened to a lot of Prine. :)

In general, it was definitely Freewheelin' that hooked me for good.

PostPosted: Mon October 15th, 2012, 13:47 GMT 

MoonshinerHobo wrote:
Mr Tambourine Man - something in the chorus and just clicked. After a year of use at the age of 16, I'd built up around 400 listens to the song

Same song, around the same age

PostPosted: Mon October 15th, 2012, 13:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

North Country Blues. Sexed me up, turned me on.

PostPosted: Mon October 15th, 2012, 13:52 GMT 

Jokerman. My Dad had the "Infidels" vinyl and looking through his records (he's not listening to music much, but when he does it's usually country, bluegrass and 70s rock) I thought "well this guy looks weird, I gotta see how that music sounds" haha :P

PostPosted: Mon October 15th, 2012, 14:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

I had The Essential Bob Dylan and Highway 61 first, and enjoyed them, but I basically became obsessed after going to bed listening to Blood on the Tracks a few times, which was the 3rd release I bought of his music. I listened to it quite a few times night after night, it was probably no coincidence that I was a lonely guy at the time that the album spoke to me so much. After that I got a 3 disc box set which contained Infidels, Oh Mercy, and Time out of Mind. Now I have pretty much all of his stuff, and what I don't got. I'll get soon enough.

PostPosted: Mon October 15th, 2012, 14:23 GMT 

Like a Rolling Stone. When I was 13 years old. Coming out of a transistor radio, right in between Marvin Gaye and Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs.

PostPosted: Mon October 15th, 2012, 14:31 GMT 

same as above,i was 13,in my first band, doin the usual covers (badly)....and here comes Like a Rolling Stone...and it all changed so fast..i still feel the rush i got when i heard that song for the first time

PostPosted: Mon October 15th, 2012, 14:34 GMT 

Desolation Row maybe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next