Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 23rd, 2019, 03:02 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 20th, 2012, 14:36 GMT 

and this one:

"... And, you know, at universities, you know, it's like…they have a higher learning people there. They teach them different…like philosophies, so people they study all these different philosophies like Plato and who else now? Jimmy Reed. Well, I can't remember all their names. Nietzsche and those people like that."

Yes, Jimmy Reed. Right up there with Plato and Nietzsche. Absolutely.

PostPosted: Mon May 21st, 2012, 04:38 GMT 

Since his banter has gotten more sparse during the latter years of the NET, I love it when he does throw something unexpected into the mix.

October 28, 1998: "This song is about someone who's got a boat, in a harbor. He never takes it off the shore." (And then he played Tangled Up In Blue)

June 18, 2000: "Thank you, don't forget to support your local library." (Just before Country Pie)

November 7, 2002: "Did anyone see those country music awards? Hank Williams would have mopped the floor with those people."

October 24, 2006: "We're a little tired tonight because when you're a famous person, you get to eat in a lot of places for free. And the band didn't eat for two days, so they took advantage of a lot of good restaurants here in Denver."

PostPosted: Mon May 21st, 2012, 05:38 GMT 

That joke of Stu and the Psychiatrist (Boston 2009)

Bob "Thank you friends. I'll introduce my band right now. On the guitar, Stu Kimball... On the steel guitar...."
Stu "Thank you Bob... thank you Bob, I just wanna tell you, I went to see my psychiatrist today..."
Bob "Really ?...."
Stu "He told me I was crazy…"
Bob "Sure..."
Stu "I said, 'Well I wanna get a second opinion....'"
Bob "Right..."
Stu "… he says 'OK, well you're ugly too...!'"
Bob "Thank you Stu. That was really good, that was really funny!... On the steel guitar haha Donnie Herron is playing on the steel guitar. Charlie haha Charlie Sexton on guitar. George Receli is on the drums. And Tony Garnier... he is the psychiatrist! He is on bass guitar..."

PostPosted: Mon May 21st, 2012, 06:57 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
ClaudioEz22 wrote:
That joke of Stu and the Psychiatrist (Boston 2009)

Bob "Thank you friends. I'll introduce my band right now. On the guitar, Stu Kimball... On the steel guitar...."
Stu "Thank you Bob... thank you Bob, I just wanna tell you, I went to see my psychiatrist today..."
Bob "Really ?...."
Stu "He told me I was crazy…"
Bob "Sure..."
Stu "I said, 'Well I wanna get a second opinion....'"
Bob "Right..."
Stu "… he says 'OK, well you're ugly too...!'"
Bob "Thank you Stu. That was really good, that was really funny!... On the steel guitar haha Donnie Herron is playing on the steel guitar. Charlie haha Charlie Sexton on guitar. George Receli is on the drums. And Tony Garnier... he is the psychiatrist! He is on bass guitar..."

lol! i need to hear this! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 21st, 2012, 07:29 GMT 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeUsmzt44YM It is quite cute, isn´t it?

PostPosted: Mon May 21st, 2012, 17:26 GMT 

Isis_ wrote:

Here is for you: :D

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bvn802

PostPosted: Mon May 21st, 2012, 18:43 GMT 

1963-10-26 - Carnegie Hall (New York, NY) - Hootenanny Hoot Story

Uh... (sing With God On Your Side!) Well let me tell you a story here...

I went to see a movie called Hootenanny Hoot... don't tell anybody. And uh, there's uh, I saw it on 42nd street about a month ago, very hip street. Uh, I saw the movie there. I'd like to tell you about it... uh, I don't want any of you to go see it!

There's a line... the story is about a hootenanny, uh, television show, or something... a hootenanny television show, and uh, I wanna tell you about it. There's a- it's- the story line of the movie is uh, that uh, some big television producer gets fired out in New York City and he's driving out to Hollywood, and uh, he's crossing the middle of the country and all of a sudden he comes upon a hootenanny with 10,000 people! And uh, he says "Ah ha! Here's my chance, I mean this thing really is selling!". And uh, people are really hootenannying it up, at this uh, at this place, and uh, he calls right back to New York right away and he says "You gotta get out here, you gotta get out here because this is the newest, biggest thing... hootenanny!". And the guy on the other end says "Ahhhhh...". He says- he says "What's this business, hootenanny? Will it sell soap?", and he says "It will sell soap! It will sell soap! Come out here! You gotta see it!". And he says "Well, okay I'll come out.".

And uh, he goes out there, and uh... some little town in Kansas, where they're having a hootenanny, at uh, the college, and they have a hootenanny. They have a hootenanny tour, they have- they have dancers, they have a hootenanny dance, and they have hootenanny songs... hootenanny, everything is hootenanny! And uh, he goes out there and they both sit down and they listen to a hootenannier. And uh, and uh, the hootenannier sings and uh, she pantomimes to a song. And this- this certain hootenannier, I- I don't remember her name- by- by name, but- but she was singing in a swimming suit, and uh, and she was uh, uh, singing about somebody who just died. And she was uh, singing it hootenanny style. And uh, and with the- all of a sudden drums came in from out of nowhere! And- and uh, and uh, the- the guy got together with the other guy and he says "My God, that is great! It is great enough to sell soap!". He says "It will sell soap! It will sell soap! We'll have to have a- we'll have to really- it's really great now, 'cause it sells soap!". And uh, this is what a hootenanny uh, uh, was trying to do, selling soap.

Now, I- I uh, have to admit I stayed to see the whole movie. I was so shocked that I stayed to see the other movie that was on with it! And uh, and this is uh, the whole thing. They came back, and they sold soap, and everybody was happy, and the songs were great, and the hootenanny was great, and it was all great because it was selling soap!

But we're not selling soap. There's some people that aren't selling soap. And uh, some- and some of us sometimes, we don't really get mad, we just have to shake our heads at that kind of stuff. Besides, if you know about it or don't know about it, there's- there is a thing that is called Black List. And Black List blacklists writers. For some reason, every writer that the Black List ever blacklisted has been a very very good writer, and has talked about things that have been going on. And uh, for some reason they've all been blacklisted. There's about 10 of them out in Hollywood, and uh, there's been some other people in New York that have been blacklisted.

Now, a friend of mine, and a friend of all of yours I'm sure, Pete Seeger has been blacklisted. He, and a- and another group called The Weavers who were around New York. Now- now I turned down that [Ed Sullivan] television show, but I got no right. But, but I- I feel bad turning it down, because The Weavers and Pete Seeger can't be on it. They oughta turn it down, but they're not even asked to be on it because they are blacklisted, uh, which is, which is a bad thing. I don't know why it's bad, but it's just bad. It's bad all around. The- The Weavers and uh Pete were along here, long time before me and Joan Baez, or anybody else were. And they got to be on that program... they don't have to be on that program, they got the right to turn that program down. That's what they got to do. And we're selling something different besides soap. We don't even buy soap!

PostPosted: Wed May 23rd, 2012, 20:21 GMT 

1963-10-26 - Carnegie Hall (New York, NY) - To Blow Into The Wind

This is called Blowin' In The Wind I'm gonna sing. I wanna tell you a story about it. Wanna tell you a story a friend of mine told me about Blowin' In The Wind. He was upstate, visiting a school, somebody that went to college up there who had a Master's Degree. He was studying to be a teacher. And uh, this friend of mine, they were talking, and uh, somehow the song Blowin' In The Wind came up and uh, this guy who's got a Master's Degree and is gonna be a teacher said "I don't understand that song."

He said "Well, what don't you understand about it?"
He said "Well I don't understand the blowin' in the wind. I don't know what that means, that blowin' in the wind stuff."
And he said "Well, what don't you understand about the song?"
He says "Well... I don't know, I just don't quite get it."
He says "Well, we'll take it apart line by line. How many roads must a man walk down, you understand that?"
And he said "Yea I understand that."
And he says "Well, how many seas must a white dove sail, you understand that?"
He says "Yea I understand that."
Says uh "Well how many times must the cannonballs fly before they're forever banned. You understand that?"
And he said "Yea, I understand that."
He said "Well, what don't you understand about the song?"
He said "Well, I don't understand the blowin' in the wind. I don't see what that has to do with it."
And he said "Well, the answer is blowin' in the wind. It's in the wind."
And he says "Ohhhhhhhhhhh. I thought... I thought that he wrote the song... and the song was written... and the answer is to blow into the wind... go pftt, pftt (as Dylan blows into the mic), and you'll find the answer."

And this guy's gonna be a teacher! He's got a Master's Degree!

-----

1965-09-03 - Hollywood Bowl (Los Angeles, CA) - What Are You Trying To Say?

A member of the audience has apparently brought a trumpet to blow during applause:

Trumpet: Toot, toot!
Dylan: What is that THING out there, man? <chuckles>
Trumpet: Toot!
Dylan: A-ha. What are you trying to say? <chuckles>

Later on, before the final song:

Dylan: Uh, does anybody have a C harmonica?
Trumpet: Toot!
Dylan: Not that one, no!

PostPosted: Sat June 16th, 2012, 17:12 GMT 

"you know this isn't my guitar, this thing goes out of tune all the time. you see, my guitar broke while in Australia. This one here is a folk song guitar, ye know? it's folk song guitar." - Before Visions (1966)

PostPosted: Sat June 16th, 2012, 20:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

During one of the NET shows, he's reported to have told a 'joke' that went something like...

"Neil Young asked me why there isn't cool music on the radio anymore, I told him, why don't you put your radio in the refrigerator?"

:shock: :o :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Sat June 16th, 2012, 21:32 GMT 

Brian Hamilton-Smith wrote:
Lily Rose wrote:
There is one of the Bootleg Series.... early concert... just him, acoustic..... and he is playing a lead in .... then the plays it again..... then you can tell, he has forgotten the words.... so he just says.... "Does anyone know how this starts???" ..... and of course someone does.... :lol:

It's I Don't Believe You from Live '64

This still remains my favourite, too.
:)

PostPosted: Sun June 17th, 2012, 04:32 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
ClaudioEz22 wrote:
Isis_ wrote:

Here is for you: :D

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bvn802

Thanks mate! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun June 17th, 2012, 22:47 GMT 

Newport 65 at the acoustic workshop, Peter Yarrow says, "After Bobby is over there won't even be any closing remarks or anything just split as fast as you can cause we're way over time heading up another workshop," and Bob says, "That's what you think!" before performing If You Gotta Go.

PostPosted: Sun June 17th, 2012, 22:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ha!

Peter Yarrow, what a Tool.

PostPosted: Mon June 18th, 2012, 00:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

I really appreciate the special messages Bob sends via mental telepathy to those who are especially in tune to him and his music... it always brings a smile to my face.

PostPosted: Mon June 18th, 2012, 01:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

Right after House of the Rising Sun, George, WA, June 18 2000...

I played that song, of course, because it's Father's Day. Happy Father's Day!

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2012, 21:33 GMT 

"Remember, i was a baby once!"

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2012, 22:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

1-2-3-4!

PostPosted: Mon November 19th, 2012, 02:09 GMT 

There's a show from NYC 1990 and he dedicates It's All Over Now, Baby Blue to all those in the crowd who woke up still drunk that morning.
Also a Scandinavian show from 1991 when he says that ABBA are his all time favourite band.
And of course the London 2000 show, when he talks about Britain standing alone during the war, Churchill, the RAF, Battle Of Britain etc.

PostPosted: Mon November 19th, 2012, 02:38 GMT 

"And we have Stu Kimball on the electric guitar. Stu, aaah, went downtown, gotta bike for his wife today... yeah, it was a very bad trade."

From Poughkeepsie 4th of August 2004

PostPosted: Mon November 19th, 2012, 09:31 GMT 

Well, I oncetried'ntienone'n'allthe timeandtwooneanotheronce'onetwothree'ntried'n oncetried'ntienone'n'allthe timeandtwooneanotheronce'onetwothree'ntried'n oncetried'ntienone'n'allthe timeandtwooneanother once'onetwothree'ntried' noncetried'ntienone'n'allthe oncetried'ntienone'n'allthe timeandtwooneanotheronce'onetwothree'ntried
when i was just a baby !!!!
The Mexican Painter wrote:
"Remember, i was a baby once!"

Tedham wrote:
1-2-3-4!

BOOM 8)

PostPosted: Mon November 19th, 2012, 09:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

TheGunfighter wrote:
Brian Hamilton-Smith wrote:
It's I Don't Believe You from Live '64

Yep, that's wonderful. The audience just supportively goes "I can't understand, she let go of my hand..." and Bob restarts the song... The entire Philharmonic Hall concert is just really funny and these moments get me every time.

yes, but the kicker is when he starts again and takes control -'same song, it begins now.'

PostPosted: Mon November 19th, 2012, 10:49 GMT 

I'm not sure if this should be really considered a banter, I think it's from the gig in London in 2003 where he played Romance In Durango. In one of the best perfomances of Million Miles I've ever heard - it's one of my favorite songs - he went:

You took the silver, you took the gold
You left me standing out in the cold
People ask about you, I didn’t tell them everything I knew
...I just told them SOME OF IT!

He laughed and mumbled other stuff at some of the other verses too.

PostPosted: Tue November 20th, 2012, 00:10 GMT 

TheGunfighter wrote:
Yeah, there's a recording of Like a Rolling Stone from 1966 on one of the Genuine Bootleg Series discs where he introduces the audience to the Hawks members before starting the song and saying they're all poets, and saying the song is dedicated to the Taj Majal... I should mention I've never heard him more tired and exhausted. :(

"I've never done this before but I want you to meet Robbie Robertson here and Garth Hudson, Mick Jones, Rick Danko and (pause) Richard. You promised me you were gonna leave, it doesn't mean a thing, I'm either have to, but they're all poets. If it comes out that way, it comes out that way, all the poets you know. This song here is dedicated to the Taj Mahal, and we're gonna leave after this song, and I wanna say good bye to all of you people, you've been great, warm people.. you've been very nice people. I mean here you are sitting in this great huge place. Believe me, we've enjoyed every minute of being here"

Definitely one of my favorite Like A Rolling Stone performances.

Also, what a great thread. I love these things.

Also from Carnegie 1963 before Don't think twice. "This is a song I wrote at one time, to make me feel better at other times".

Same with Don't Think Twice at the Town Hall concert few months back: "You gotta be pretty good to sing this song here, I don't think if I can sing it really, but I wrote it so."

I was riding on a train one time from Durango, Mexico to San Diego.
I fell asleep on the train and woke up in this town called Monterey.
And there was, I guess it was about past midnight. Not too much happening, but just maybe around that time.
And a family was getting off the train. An old man was stepping up on the platform to get up on the train.
And he came down the aisle and took a seat across the aisle from me. Meantime the train was still in the station.
Anyway, I was watching this whole thing through the window which was turned into a long mirror.
And finally I felt a strange vibration and I had to turn to look at this man. He wasn't wearing anything but a blanket.
So I turned my head to look at him. Both his eyes were on fire, I could easily see that, and there was smoke coming out of his nostrils.
I said well this is the man I had to talk to. So I turned back to look out the mirror again. I finally got up the courage to talk to him.
And the train started moving an the conversation went something like this.

before Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power) '78 Charlotte.

PostPosted: Tue November 20th, 2012, 01:19 GMT 

mzapata wrote:
I'm not sure if this should be really considered a banter, I think it's from the gig in London in 2003 where he played Romance In Durango. In one of the best perfomances of Million Miles I've ever heard - it's one of my favorite songs - he went:

You took the silver, you took the gold
You left me standing out in the cold
People ask about you, I didn’t tell them everything I knew
...I just told them SOME OF IT!

He laughed and mumbled other stuff at some of the other verses too.

would you mind uploading that performance of Million Miles for me? :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next