Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 18th, 2018, 17:40 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 15:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

Has anyone assembled the original three albums out of the remastered cutting edge takes? If so, what tracks from the boxset are the master takes needed to assemble the albums? Is there much editing of the intros/outros required? (Does anyone want to give me any further help by way of PM?)

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 16:00 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Has anyone assembled the original three albums out of the remastered cutting edge takes? If so, what tracks from the boxset are the master takes needed to assemble the albums? Is there much editing of the intros/outros required? (Does anyone want to give me any further help by way of PM?)

Good question, I'm wondering this too, but how remastered are the CE takes anyway?

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 16:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

Surely they're new mixes? I shall consult the liner notes...

Edit: yep, mixed by Steve Addabbo and mastered by Mark Wilder.

I've been trying to find the best digital copy of the trinity albums to listen to on headphones while out an about. Would like to give this option a shot...

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 17:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

Just assembled Highway 61 Revisited, which was much easier than I thought. All I had to do was adjust the fade outs to match the album. The mix is quite different to the official release, I think it's more intended to give the feel of the studio, than recreate the sound of the album. The bass is much higher and warmer throughout, which I like. The Cutting Edge mix/master is also a lot more dynamic than the 2003 version.

Edit: or maybe it sounds identical and this is one big placebo...

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 20:45 GMT 

The mixes are different on some tracks; Like a Rolling Stone didn't seem as w-i-d-e a stereo image than the original. I left all the long fades and titled the playlist after the albums with a 'Revisited' tag on the end. Great stuff!

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 22:46 GMT 

I have a stereo mix of Highway 61 from the late 80's. Never have replaced it and that mix seems ok to me.

BIABH I've had cassette, vunyl and I've lost count of the CD's.

Blonde on Blonde I've had Vinyl and quite a few CD's. The 2004 German version seems to be the best of them all.

I do prefer the Mono versions.on BIABH and BOB. H61 loses a bit and does sound a bit thin on the Mono release.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 22:55 GMT 

If my memory serves me well... There is no album version of Ballad of a thin man on the Cutting Edge. There is the take used and also there is thet "insert". But there isn't the splice of both.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 23:55 GMT 

Ive never got around to doing this. It's about time!

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 23:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Bard wrote:
Ive never got around to doing this. It's about time!

Same here! Interested to hear how alike/different Blonde on Blonde is specifically.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2018, 01:05 GMT 

I did this for Blonde on Blonde a while back. It’s the best stereo mix of the album there is.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2018, 02:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think this same idea will be a highlight of More Blood More Tracks too. Compiling a remastered, speed-corrected Blood on the Tracks will be a real treat.

PostPosted: Wed November 7th, 2018, 02:39 GMT 

I recompiled this again and it is a really good little addition. The only thing that is 'missing' is Desolation Row because the box doesn't include the master take with the overdubbed lead acoustic.

Overall I'd say that Highway 61 and BIABH are fine in their existing stereo mixes but the remixes provide an extra bit of punch and/or space in places.

Blonde on Blonde really warrants a wide release as it's a major improvement over any existing stereo mix (the BoB stereo mixes are pretty bad).

PostPosted: Wed November 7th, 2018, 10:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:
I recompiled this again and it is a really good little addition. The only thing that is 'missing' is Desolation Row because the box doesn't include the master take with the overdubbed lead acoustic.

Overall I'd say that Highway 61 and BIABH are fine in their existing stereo mixes but the remixes provide an extra bit of punch and/or space in places.

Blonde on Blonde really warrants a wide release as it's a major improvement over any existing stereo mix (the BoB stereo mixes are pretty bad).

Ballad of a Thin Man is also missing an insert, but it's a nice mix that I listen to fairly often. I still listen to the 2010 mono and 2003 CD a lot though.

Looking forward to putting together Blonde on Blonde when I get time, I reckon that will be the most worthwhile.

The MBMT version of BOTT is good, though I think the more interesting endeavour will be putting together alternate albums.

PostPosted: Wed November 7th, 2018, 20:58 GMT 

skelters wrote:
(...) I do prefer the Mono versions.on BIABH and BOB. H61 loses a bit and does sound a bit thin on the Mono release.

Funny. I fell in love with H61 when I heard mono version. "Desolation Row" finally made sense to me at the end of this glorious album. I'd prefer mono version above any other!

PostPosted: Wed November 7th, 2018, 21:32 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
I think this same idea will be a highlight of More Blood More Tracks too. Compiling a remastered, speed-corrected Blood on the Tracks will be a real treat.

Yes! I've done it, and it's almost like hearing the whole thing for the first time. Wonderful!