Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 17th, 2018, 12:47 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri September 21st, 2018, 00:59 GMT 

I always thought Bryan Ferry's cover of A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall was brilliant and underrated. It almost makes an entirely new song out of an already great one - it's that original.

Do you think Bob covering Let's Stick Together on his album Down In The Groove was a nod to Bryan Ferry? - a sort of a shout-out to Bryan who has covered several Dylan songs throughout his career.

I do know Let's Stick Together was originally a bluesy song written and performed by Wilbert Harrison in 1962 - however it was Ferry's biggest hit and pretty much became his signature song.

PostPosted: Fri September 21st, 2018, 01:33 GMT 
Mercury Member

Canned Heat had a massive hit with it way before Ferry who, to these ears, is all style no substance.

PostPosted: Fri September 21st, 2018, 01:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

I would venture that Dylan is probably more familiar with the raw, original Wilbert Harrison version (which is the best imo). I can think of at least one instance when a Harrison tune popped up on Theme Time Radio too, so Dylan is no stranger to his music. I've never thought of its inclusion on Down In The Groove as an allusion to Bryan Ferry.

PostPosted: Fri September 21st, 2018, 01:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

UkuleleElvis wrote:
Do you think Bob covering Let's Stick Together on his album Down In The Groove was a nod to Bryan Ferry?

Nope.

PostPosted: Fri September 21st, 2018, 02:53 GMT 

I always figured Bryan Ferry's motivation for making music was to sleep with college students.

If Dylan ever covered an actual Bryan Ferry song I'd be tempted to write him off.

PostPosted: Fri September 21st, 2018, 06:00 GMT 

Didn'T Ferry once say that his cover of Hard Rain was one of the best covers of a Dylan song, but that Bob never thanked him for it? (I couldn't find the original quote now)

Anyway, I always saw DITG as some sort of tribute-album from Bob to the music he listened to when he grew up. So his version of this song is a nod to Wilbert Harrison. That Ferry also covered that song diN#t bother him.