Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 11th, 2018, 02:18 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 48  Next
PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 02:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

summerteeth wrote:
Nightingale's Code wrote:
^Thanks for clearing that up. Shame though that the proper writers don't get credit just because they wrote it before an arbitrary deadline. I'm sure he has family somewhere who could have benefited from having one of his compositions officially released on, now, four different Dylan albums.

How much of this do you think is Dylan's decision vs. how much is attributable to his management team or Columbia?

I've always just assumed that Dylan has extremely little to nothing to do with these releases. Probably just ok's the original idea and maybe the final product, but I can't see him having much to do with anything else, so I would guess that it's up to Rosen/Columbia.

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 05:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Does anybody know what the "Acoustico" label means in the top left corner? Is this a nod to something I'm not picking up on, or simply a stylistic choice to look/appear more rustic?

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 05:54 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Anyone believe that the deluxe edition is actually a limited pressing? Sounds like a pure marketing schtick (isn't everything limited when you think about it? A pressing of 8 billion is limited - eventually they'll run out of plastic) but why lie to our faces about it? These things sell like hot cakes, dont they? so why the gimmick?
Aren't Tell Tale Signs and BS1-3 out of print?

Very good point. Apart from the collectors addition of cutting edge, I am sure that there has not been a release that ALL Dylan fans could not buy (If they could afford it).

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 06:00 GMT 

motherwell wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:
Anyone believe that the deluxe edition is actually a limited pressing? Sounds like a pure marketing schtick (isn't everything limited when you think about it? A pressing of 8 billion is limited - eventually they'll run out of plastic) but why lie to our faces about it? These things sell like hot cakes, dont they? so why the gimmick?
Aren't Tell Tale Signs and BS1-3 out of print?

Very good point. Apart from the collectors addition of cutting edge, I am sure that there has not been a release that ALL Dylan fans could not buy (If they could afford it).

So the question is: is the "strictly limited" mention there to sell units or to cover their asses in the (unlikely) scenario that they run out?
One is a cold-hearted cynical lie the other is kindness and the knowledge that dyed-in-the-wool Bobfans are so fanatical that even the teeny tiny chance one fan will not get his box is catastrophe.

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 08:03 GMT 

The complete track list with runtimes is posted in the other thread (I think the mods are trying to transition away from this thread since we know when it’ll be released).

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. As you say all the info I was after is here so I thought I'd submit a post to put this thread at the top of the pile!

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 18:50 GMT 

Does anybody know what the "Acoustico" label means in the top left corner? Is this a nod to something I'm not picking up on, or simply a stylistic choice to look/appear more rustic?

I'm wondering this too. Do they paste it on any recording where there are acoustic renditions? "New from our acoustic range"?

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 18:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

^It's the first time I've ever seen it on an album cover, and googling "Columbia Records Acoustico" comes back with nothing on the topic.

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 19:09 GMT 

^It's the first time I've ever seen it on an album cover, and googling "Columbia Records Acoustico" comes back with nothing on the topic.

Me neither. I've tried searching for other new Columbia albums to see whether it's printed on other covers, but no luck. It's being discussed on stevehoffman too but they're no wiser.

You know I'm starting to get my panties in a twist here... There's the "Limited release" debacle and now this "acoustico" nonsense? Something doesn't smell right. Too many cooks spoiling the broth, too much hooplah and gobbledegook.
They're one small step away from just making it up as they go along. "presented in gigahertz-optimized wave-processing" and "improved audio-quantification". "Part of the acoustico-series for audiophiles - see personalized acoustico secret members card enclosed."

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 19:44 GMT 

And why is (((Acoustico))) put into triple parentheses? They are an "antisemitic symbol that has been used to highlight the names of individuals of a Jewish background"...

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 19:54 GMT 

my precious time wrote:
And why is (((Acoustico))) put into triple parentheses? They are an "antisemitic symbol that has been used to highlight the names of individuals of a Jewish background"...

Woah....whaat? The plot thickens.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 15:58 GMT 

What happened to this thread? I assumed like with BS13 there would be about a hundred replies every day, but it seems this discussion just fizzled out.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 16:16 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
What happened to this thread? I assumed like with BS13 there would be about a hundred replies every day, but it seems this discussion just fizzled out.

There may be two explanations:

1). This is the smaller version of the bootleg 14 discussion, which in this instance happens to be smaller than usual.

2). You need to read the discussion twelve times over to get a flavour of the box-set.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 16:26 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
1). This is the smaller version of the bootleg 14 discussion, which in this instance happens to be smaller than usual.

But why does it happen to be smaller? Where is the bubbly chitter-chatter of antisipation? Where's the pop? The fizzle? When BS13 was announced the discussion was raging, non-stop, the constant rumours and wild guesses, the what-ifs and whatnot.
Something feels off...

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 16:45 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Mickvet wrote:

But why does it happen to be smaller? Where is the bubbly chitter-chatter of antisipation? Where's the pop? The fizzle? When BS13 was announced the discussion was raging, non-stop, the constant rumours and wild guesses, the what-ifs and whatnot.
Something feels off...
Well, we all knew that there were lots of songs (studio and live) from the gospel era, that had never been officially released. Not so here. It's an anticlimax before it's even been released.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 17:18 GMT 

I like If You See Her Say Hello (Take 1), but it doesn't excite me like Making A Liar Out Of Me did.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 17:49 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Well, we all knew that there were lots of songs (studio and live) from the gospel era, that had never been officially released. Not so here. It's an anticlimax before it's even been released.

my precious time wrote:
I like If You See Her Say Hello (Take 1), but it doesn't excite me like Making A Liar Out Of Me did.

Sure, Trouble No More is the gift that keeps giving - there is literally not one song on it I don't love. And sure, there songs are not new, but the songs are some of the best and the takes are unknown - surely that's exciting? I mean, come on, people, this is what we fought decades for and it's finally here.

'If You See Her Say Hello' is peanuts. Imagine the parts of an unknown take of Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts... Who's to say the unreleased takes arent wildly different than the previously released? I never cared for 'Making a Liar Out of Me' anyway.

I feel like I'm the only one putting in the effort here..

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 18:03 GMT 

If you like something, it takes less effort.

I am not very worked up about this, I can't make myself be, but I made the effort of pre-ordering the box-set.

When I receive it, despite my lack of enthusiasm, I will make the effort of listening to it, even all twelve versions of Buckets of Rain.

I'm making the effort to type this...

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 18:16 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
If you like something, it takes less effort.

I am not very worked up about this, I can't make myself be, but I made the effort of pre-ordering the box-set.

When I receive it, despite my lack of enthusiasm, I will make the effort of listening to it, even all twelve versions of Buckets of Rain.

I'm making the effort to type this...

So it's Cutting Edge all over again.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 18:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

“There’s no words that need to be said...”

I’ve stated here many times that I didn’t like BS13 and I’m super excited for BS14, but until the release of the album or even another single, I’m not sure how much is left to discuss? Seems like everybody here has already pre-ordered it and we’re just waiting patiently.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 18:25 GMT 

I’ve stated here many times that I didn’t like BS13 and I’m super excited for BS14, but until the release of the album or even another single, I’m not sure how much is left to discuss? Seems like everybody here has already pre-ordered it and we’re just waiting patiently.

And some others here have not pre-ordered it and are just waiting to see if there is enough significant variance between the BS14 tracks and what we already have to make the collection worth getting.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 18:39 GMT 

Seems like everybody here has already pre-ordered it and we’re just waiting patiently.

Well, arent we all suddenly acting like adults.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2018, 01:42 GMT 

Love most of the BS series, especially recordings of songs we have not heard before, and interesting versions of well known songs, but while one, possibly two alternate takes are fine, surely the artist's preferred take featured on the original release. Hearing the runner - up is fine but are the other attempts worthy. For many fans this is his best album. It appears that there is nothing new to hear, just stuff that was not good enough to make the cut.

The clamour for BS 15 has already begun, much to Sony's delight. Easy pickings, low cost, decent sales. Maybe if people begin to aggressively appeal for something new, in preference to stuff recorded almost 50 years ago, Sony and the artist might pull their collective finger out. I will probably buy the vinyl and single CD and play it once and consign it the BS shelf that needs new brackets.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2018, 02:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Lots of you are saying the exact same thing I said about the Cutting Edge. However I am really looking forward to this release, not that one.

We all get our kicks in different ways.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2018, 05:31 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:
Love most of the BS series, especially recordings of songs we have not heard before, and interesting versions of well known songs, but while one, possibly two alternate takes are fine, surely the artist's preferred take featured on the original release. Hearing the runner - up is fine but are the other attempts worthy. For many fans this is his best album. It appears that there is nothing new to hear, just stuff that was not good enough to make the cut.

The clamour for BS 15 has already begun, much to Sony's delight. Easy pickings, low cost, decent sales. Maybe if people begin to aggressively appeal for something new, in preference to stuff recorded almost 50 years ago, Sony and the artist might pull their collective finger out. I will probably buy the vinyl and single CD and play it once and consign it the BS shelf that needs new brackets.

You make a good point, sir, but yet, we know that some of the alternative takes from other albums are choice and sometimes equally good as the album takes. Take Someday Baby or Tell O'l Bill or Dignity or Blind Willie.
What about the take of Visions of Johanna recorded with the "Hawks" in 65 for christssake...

The different takes are pretty unique and some are superb. The single released may not show this, but who's to say they aren't keeping the good stuff under wraps.

People have discussing their love for the alternative BOTT takes already released yonks ago, they will with these too.

PostPosted: Mon September 24th, 2018, 07:48 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
People have discussing their love for the alternative BOTT takes already released yonks ago, they will with these too.

I dunno. BotT is one of my all time favourite albums (by anybody), so yeah, I was quite excited when I first got hold of "Blood on the Tapes". And I found it enjoyable and interesting. But there was not a single track on there that I preferred to the perfection of the released album. So, this one? I'm buying it because I'm a hopeless addict, but nothing about it excites me one bit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 48  Next