Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 20th, 2018, 21:11 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 11:35 GMT 

I'll call it. No BS 15 for 2019, we will have a giant Rolling Thunder Revue (similar to the Live 1966 box set), and perhaps a DVD (No Direction Home 2 on the years 1975-1976).

BS 15 will be released in 2020 and will center around the Infidels Years (from 1983 to 1985, including Empire Burlesque outtakes and a remix without the horrible Baker production).

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 11:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

BobDylan66 wrote:
I'll call it. No BS 15 for 2019, we will have a giant Rolling Thunder Revue (similar to the Live 1966 box set), and perhaps a DVD (No Direction Home 2 on the years 1975-1976).

BS 15 will be released in 2020 and will center around the Infidels Years (from 1983 to 1985, including Empire Burlesque outtakes and a remix without the horrible Baker production).

I hope you're right, although some form of copyright extension will probably be released so that they don't lose ownership of the Nashville Skyline/Johnny Cash material. Whether that comes out as a Bootleg Series entry or just another limited release extension will be the big question.

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 13:02 GMT 

God, the Johnny Cash duets are awful...

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 13:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

Matt Blacks wrote:
God, the Johnny Cash duets are awful...

I don’t enjoy any of those sessions either. Hopefully they’ll just do an extension without wasting an annual bootleg series release on them.

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 13:11 GMT 

Maybe it´ll be released by the Johnny Cash Bootleg series !?

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 13:24 GMT 

Sampler of "If You See Her..." surfaced this morning:

https://open.spotify.com/album/4JuawjFEN2SnBhYlffORhI

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 13:26 GMT 

I still hope one day Columbia will release a BS of Empire Burlesque-Down In The Groove. Being an obscure period, it would be interesting to see what's in the vaults.

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 13:39 GMT 

Give Scorsese another year to get it all together; and let's have an Oh Mercy 30th Anniversary box in November 2019.

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 14:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

charlesdarwin wrote:
Personally, I'm really fed up with these "when the heck" titles now. It makes us all sound grumpy and impatient, like we think we're entitled.

Entitled? Nah.

Excited!!! Yes!

Now that most of the commercially popular MotherLoads are
finally outta the way, Dylan, Inc will be digging into some really
interesting nuggets, it seems. Just watch the creativity &
revisionist-approach-challenge come to fruition as the vaults
continue to be intensely mined! A lot more money to be made & spent!

Hopefully the European Copyright scare continues.

The Bootleg Series has been mostly great fun so far.
And there’s a treasure-trove of future Bob awaiting!

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 17:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bootleg Series 15 - When the Heck is it Being Released?

I was really hoping for a release of the NOLA Jazz Festival Performances from April 25 - 26, 2003. This year is the 15th Anniversary. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what these people are thinking.

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 17:44 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:

I was really hoping for a release of the NOLA Jazz Festival Performances from April 25 - 26, 2003. This year is the 15th Anniversary. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what these people are thinking.

I was hoping for a different kind of 15-year anniversary:
2003-2004 is the year of Koella.
We need a Freddy box!

PostPosted: Thu September 20th, 2018, 21:01 GMT 

I guess there's not much from the John Wesley Harding sessions.

And I don't think there will be a NET Bootleg Series while he's still on it.

My bet for a 80s one.

PostPosted: Fri September 21st, 2018, 07:01 GMT 

We know BS15 will be RTR right? Or is that off the table now? You know, with the Scorcese movie as the + DVD... Or did something else happen?

PostPosted: Fri September 21st, 2018, 07:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

Anr Bjotk wrote:
We know BS15 will be RTR right? Or is that off the table now? You know, with the Scorcese movie as the + DVD... Or did something else happen?

The Scorsese/RTR thing has been rumored for so long who knows if/when we’ll ever see it. I’ll believe it when it’s in my grubby hands!

PostPosted: Fri September 21st, 2018, 12:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

summerteeth wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

I was hoping for a different kind of 15-year anniversary:
2003-2004 is the year of Koella.
We need a Freddy box!

An Official Bootleg Series release with Freddy and Larry is most certainly in order. There are too many incredible performances to name and narrowing it to a few discs would be an impossible task. Anything less than 100 discs would be an injustice... Heavens, they could do a six CD set with nothing but performances of All Along the Watchtower alone and even then we would be cheated by what was omitted.

PostPosted: Fri September 21st, 2018, 13:06 GMT 

This new Bootleg series was going to be volume 11 so its probably been ready to go for ages. The next one should tie in with the rolling thunder revue show film so I dont know how they would work it, whether it would primarily feature live performances or tie in with Desire or Planet waves outakes too.

PostPosted: Fri September 21st, 2018, 21:32 GMT 

What's the options..

Boxed set of the Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers tour.

With The Grateful Dead

Real Real Live?

Infidels / Knocked out Loaded /Empire Burlesque / Down in the Groove / Oh Mercy / Under The Red Sky

Good As I Been To You / World Gone Wrong along with outtakes?

Completely Unplugged?

1978 compilation of that tour to make up for Budokan?

Or can we expect a yearly boxed set of the best of the NET starting with 1988?

How about complete shows from 1988 onwards similar to the way Springsteen is flogging the dead horse. Buy your ticket, go to the show, buy merchandise then pay again for the gig you've already been to?

Whatever they decide it'll be a surprise.

Would think a new album of originals is due sometime. At least that would give the Bootleg Series cash cow a rest to recharge!

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 14:58 GMT 

skelters wrote:
Or can we expect a yearly boxed set of the best of the NET starting with 1988?

Yes! This One!!!

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 15:01 GMT 

Vol. 15 will be the last one they stop it right after this. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat September 22nd, 2018, 19:45 GMT 

OldHenryLee wrote:
A sequel type of deal to Tell Tale Signs is what's needed. .. .. All those studio outtake gems that've been oh so well hidden from the start of this disaster we call The Millennium on through Tempest. ... Sprinkle in some of those M & A songs & a couple of those one-off live ones such as Billy 4 in '09 & you got dreams coming true all over the place.. ... It's time to have one not from the way, way-back machine and throw one in with recent stuff. .... & then throw in that Super Club or whatever else we already know is coming.

My two cents & a nickel anyways.

I had said that above quote on the previous page, but at that time was under the assumption that 14 was going to include the Scorsese documentary and Rolling Thunder '75-'76 live material. ... Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention and only reading updates through this site.

The above statement is what I would want personally, but looks like the next installment (#15) is going to be Rolling Thunder & documentary.

Although at first I was kinda disappointed that 14 is what it's going to be; I'm not anymore. Was just my impatience of wanting the documentary & Rolling Thunder live material. Having it split up is WAY better for the costs alone.

I'm hopeful that #15 comes out sooner than they usually do. Not just because of my own personal impatience, but also because waiting a year for material covering the same time area seems redundant. Even if unlikely spring seems like it'd be a good time for it to be released.

Going to save that post quoted above this for the "when the heck is #16 is going to be released" thread, and until then keeps these fingers of mine crossed that a Tell Tale Signs typa sequel is what we receive. ... All in good time I guess.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 03:28 GMT 

My prediction for 15 is a Rolling Thunder set a la Trouble No More.

Discs 1 & 2 (standard edition) - A compilation of every song performed over 1975 and 1976 with an emphasis on versions that differ significantly from BS5 and Hard Rain.

Disc 3 - Desire Outtakes, Tour Rehearsals, John Hammond Special, Other odds and ends from this period

Disc 4 & 5 - Full 1975 concert

Disc 7 & 8 - Full 1976 concert

Disc 9 & 10 (DVD) - Renaldo and Clara, Hard Rain TV Special

Alternatively the Supper Club with a standard edition highlighting the best tracks over 2 discs and a deluxe set featuring every concert and a DVD.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 03:37 GMT 

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:

I hope it would be Salt Lake City 1976.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 03:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:
My prediction for 15 is a Rolling Thunder set a la Trouble No More.

Discs 1 & 2 (standard edition) - A compilation of every song performed over 1975 and 1976 with an emphasis on versions that differ significantly from BS5 and Hard Rain.

Disc 3 - Desire Outtakes, Tour Rehearsals, John Hammond Special, Other odds and ends from this period

Disc 4 & 5 - Full 1975 concert

Disc 9 & 10 (DVD) - Renaldo and Clara, Hard Rain TV Special

As great as that would be, I would prefer to keep the '75 and '76 tours separate, as they're virtually different in everything but title. '75 is more chilling and earnest, leaning heavily on the Desire material. '76 is more rambunctious with hot, frenetic energy and those crazy stop/start arrangements that appeared in so many songs; the Desire material was sidelined and the Blood On The Tracks songs came out bigger and louder than ever. I can see the logic of putting them both together, but I think they're great enough to support their own independent releases. In an ideal world though, neither get the bootleg series treatment and both legs are released completely ala 1966 box set.

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:
Alternatively the Supper Club with a standard edition highlighting the best tracks over 2 discs and a deluxe set featuring every concert and a DVD.

I don't understand the appeal of a Supper Club bootleg series entry. Aren't all 4 concerts already available in perfect soundboard quality? Is it the just the DVD that makes people clamor for this release? Or is there more that's not available?

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 03:58 GMT 

Yeah I don’t think we need a Supper Club release (I’m not clammering for another RTR release to be honest) but these are the most likely choices based on what insider info tells us. I mean for fans The Supper Club tapes aren’t necessary but they would be something new for the general public.

PostPosted: Sun September 23rd, 2018, 04:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

boiledgutsofbirds wrote:
I mean for fans The Supper Club tapes aren’t necessary but they would be something new for the general public.

I guess that's true. And they probably know better than anyone that, despite all of us around here already having the Supper Club tapes in perfect sound, the majority of us would probably still shell out money for the official set!