Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 11th, 2018, 22:09 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Heaven's Door review
PostPosted: Fri August 17th, 2018, 03:40 GMT 

Today I stopped into a random liquor store looking for a 23 year old rum but I decided to look at their bourbons. I was surprised to see they had several bottles of each iteration of Heaven's Door. I am not a big fan of rye so I bought the Tennessee Bourbon and the Double Barrel Whiskey.

I am a bourbon fan and know more than I probably should about that fine spirit, even having traveled the bourbon trail in Kentucky. I will report this:

The Tennessee Bourbon presents well at first with great taste and viscosity and mouth feel but as it sits and as I sipped it it started to turn into what I term a "manufactured" feel and taste, a tell-tell sign (no pun intended) of an inferior whiskey.

However, the Double Barrel whiskey stood up well. It sips like a real whiskey. Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Heaven's Door review
PostPosted: Fri August 17th, 2018, 03:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks for the review!

PostPosted: Fri August 17th, 2018, 07:21 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Thanks for the review!

It's always refreshing to hear the views of a true connisseur. Ever tried Power's, Henry? If so, how would you rate it (it's my own favourite whiskey-obviously an Irish, from the country that invented the stuff, long before those neophyte Picts!)?

PostPosted: Fri August 17th, 2018, 15:56 GMT 

Really Mickvet. Power's tastes like Diesel. Ok if that's the Whiskey taste you are looking for.

I like all the Kilbeggan and Cooley distallery Whiskeys and of course Jameson.

I see Power's as the stuff of the small town 'Hards'. You know, the bold boys hanging around on street corner's, gossiping, mocking, only really interested in tractor tyres, their whiskey and maybe a fling, if any girl would let them, in a small Irish town.

Is that you :?:

PostPosted: Fri August 17th, 2018, 17:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks for the review.

Anyone know when I can purchase in the UK?

PostPosted: Fri August 17th, 2018, 19:12 GMT 

Leonard wrote:
Thanks for the review.

I contacted them earlier in the year and they said it would be available in various markets globally in 2019

moab

PostPosted: Fri August 17th, 2018, 19:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

man on a bridge wrote:
Leonard wrote:
Thanks for the review.

I contacted them earlier in the year and they said it would be available in various markets globally in 2019

moab

Thanks moab.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 05:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

thanks Porter, Mick and Girls! well played! carry on!

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 20:33 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Really Mickvet. Power's tastes like Diesel. Ok if that's the Whiskey taste you are looking for.

I like all the Kilbeggan and Cooley distallery Whiskeys and of course Jameson.

I see Power's as the stuff of the small town 'Hards'. You know, the bold boys hanging around on street corner's, gossiping, mocking, only really interested in tractor tyres, their whiskey and maybe a fling, if any girl would let them, in a small Irish town.

Is that you :?:

Jameson! Very rough. The tipple of gurriers! Power's is much more subtle. If it's diesel, I'm glad to run on it.

Power's is not a town whiskey, at all. It is the Irish countryman's whiskey, a very rural phenomenon. I never heard of a 'hard' hanging around a small Irish town street corner that had a single thought about 'tractor tyres'. These types generally mock farmers and anything to do with them...and couldn't hold their whiskey, anyway. They'd be too lazy to drive a tractor.

PostPosted: Sat August 18th, 2018, 22:10 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:

Power's is not a town whiskey, at all. It is the Irish countryman's whiskey, a very rural phenomenon. I never heard of a 'hard' hanging around a small Irish town street corner that had a single thought about 'tractor tyres'. These types generally mock farmers and anything to do with them...and couldn't hold their whiskey, anyway. They'd be too lazy to drive a tractor.

Oh MickVet, I am so embarassed :oops: .

I got totally mixed up about the Whiskeys. I had taken too much Fleadh 'juice'.

I thought you were talking about Paddy Whiskey. So my mistake.

Interesting point about town versus country whiskey. And town and country types. I know a few very small country town well. Back in the day all the men were farmers including the 'hards'. I remember fondly listening to a long heated discussion about tractor tyres, amongst these hards. But you are right. They were not drinking much whiskey. Mostly Bulmers cider with the odd Paddy chaser.

I don't know much about Powers whiskey.

Back to Dylan's Heaven's Door. There is a recent Uncut magazine 'tasters' review. In the latest edition of Uncut. Made some good points. I'll write it here as soon as I get away from this Fleadh.

PostPosted: Sun August 19th, 2018, 09:48 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Mickvet wrote:

Oh MickVet, I am so embarassed :oops: .

I got totally mixed up about the Whiskeys. I had taken too much Fleadh 'juice'.

I thought you were talking about Paddy Whiskey. So my mistake.

Interesting point about town versus country whiskey. And town and country types. I know a few very small country town well. Back in the day all the men were farmers including the 'hards'. I remember fondly listening to a long heated discussion about tractor tyres, amongst these hards. But you are right. They were not drinking much whiskey. Mostly Bulmers cider with the odd Paddy chaser.

I don't know much about Powers whiskey.

Back to Dylan's Heaven's Door. There is a recent Uncut magazine 'tasters' review. In the latest edition of Uncut. Made some good points. I'll write it here as soon as I get away from this Fleadh.

I hope you enjoyed the Fleadh. Paddy is alright for hot whiskeys (with lots of cloves, though) and for putting into cakes. In fairness, Jameson is not too bad, but I'd recommend you try the Powers, particularly as a chaser. You make a good point about the 'hards'. Many would have done summer work for farmers, making hay and silage and so on. Less so, nowadays, I think.