Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 21st, 2018, 07:51 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 02:33 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu August 2nd, 2007, 13:41 GMT
Posts: 826
Location: Lincoln County Road . . . (or Armageddon?)
GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
What about this one; JELLY-FACED.

I can only find this listed in Visions of Johanna on Lyrics.com. I can't see any other artist or song listed. My luck someone else probably did use it. But I imagine someone will dismiss it 'cos it's a hyphenated word. :lol:

Anyway what's the Prize?? A bowl of Jelly? Or a trip to the Artic circle sponsored by Karl Erik? Hard choice that.


Arctic Circle?
I'm in!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 02:58 GMT 

Joined: Sat October 18th, 2014, 16:28 GMT
Posts: 17
My favorite use of the word subpoena(d) is in 'Sequestered in Memphis' by The Hold Steady.

In bar-light, she looked all right,
In daylight, she looked desperate
That's all right, I was desperate, too
I'm getting pretty sick of this interview.
Subpoenaed in Texas, sequestered in Memphis
Subpoenaed in Texas, sequestered in Memphis


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 09:14 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 28th, 2007, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 24545
Location: any where a music tragic might be found
GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
What about this one; JELLY-FACED.

I can only find this listed in Visions of Johanna on Lyrics.com. I can't see any other artist or song listed. My luck someone else probably did use it. But I imagine someone will dismiss it 'cos it's a hyphenated word. :lol:

Anyway what's the Prize?? A bowl of Jelly? Or a trip to the Artic circle sponsored by Karl Erik? Hard choice that.

No prize , just honor and glory


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 09:43 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 22nd, 2006, 22:20 GMT
Posts: 908
"Tale Of The Jelly Faced Man" by Joe Devita from the album "Song Collection 2012".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 15:53 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 20th, 2009, 22:31 GMT
Posts: 796
Location: Pennsylvania
I thought maybe he was the only one who used jokerman, but I searched for it on lyrics.com and there was one other song with it in it. Oh well


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 17:19 GMT 

Joined: Tue June 21st, 2016, 17:01 GMT
Posts: 281
This might be slightly more interesting if you searched for unique phrases instead of words: warehouse eyes, Memphis mouth, memory of decay. You'd get a little more of a clue about the unusual way Bob uses words. But even that isn't very revealing. I can give you three phrases right now that I can guarantee have never appeared in a song lyric, by Bob Dylan or anybody else:

personal mucilage
laproscopic yearning
sophomoric dogfish


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 17:30 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed January 9th, 2008, 13:29 GMT
Posts: 10721
if'n......oh wait... :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 17:35 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed November 29th, 2017, 04:04 GMT
Posts: 1634
smiley wrote:
"Tale Of The Jelly Faced Man" by Joe Devita from the album "Song Collection 2012".


This indicates the problem with this fun game. The problem is we need to define the scope of this search for a unique word. The scope is just too wide at the moment.

I propose that;

1/ As the OP said THIS game is about a unique WORD. The PHRASE search can be another search. How intesting! Bob is a never-endind source of trivial games.

2/ The word may contain a punctuation. (So that I can win :wink:)

3/ The word must have FIRST been used by Bob Dylan and no other previous lyric writer. There are so many subsequent song writers who have copied Bob, we can't include them. (Also so I can win).

Whad about dat?

We also need a Judge. To adjudicate and settle Word game disputes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 19:26 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu August 2nd, 2007, 13:41 GMT
Posts: 826
Location: Lincoln County Road . . . (or Armageddon?)
I still stand by both "unpawned" and "mateless."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 20:38 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 22nd, 2006, 22:20 GMT
Posts: 908
"Mateless" by Velari from "Mateless", 2015.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 20:41 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 22nd, 2006, 22:20 GMT
Posts: 908
"Unpawned"... er...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 20:45 GMT 

Joined: Mon November 1st, 2004, 22:39 GMT
Posts: 83
Location: London
'Half-sick'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 20:48 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed January 9th, 2008, 13:29 GMT
Posts: 10721
punched my cigarettes....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 22:10 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:13 GMT
Posts: 2396
Location: Venice London
Considering the hyphen, *pig-circus* doesn't seem to appear in any song.

But I'm not sure it counts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 22:29 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 28th, 2007, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 24545
Location: any where a music tragic might be found
To be honest I am no longer interested in this thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 16th, 2018, 22:33 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:13 GMT
Posts: 2396
Location: Venice London
oldmanemu wrote:
To be honest I am no longer interested in this thread.


Shoot!
And you just tell us like that?
And what are we supposed to do now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri August 17th, 2018, 07:15 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 28th, 2007, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 24545
Location: any where a music tragic might be found
Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:
oldmanemu wrote:
To be honest I am no longer interested in this thread.


Shoot!
And you just tell us like that?
And what are we supposed to do now?

Keep on posting while you are still interested.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 19th, 2018, 01:04 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat August 16th, 2014, 12:59 GMT
Posts: 76
Location: in Him, my sole protection
Didny??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 19th, 2018, 20:50 GMT 

Joined: Sat December 27th, 2014, 12:09 GMT
Posts: 118
How about 'mismanaged' ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 19th, 2018, 22:28 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:13 GMT
Posts: 2396
Location: Venice London
tyke wrote:
How about 'mismanaged' ?


No:
https://www.lyrics.com/lyrics/mismanaged


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 19th, 2018, 22:43 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed January 9th, 2008, 13:29 GMT
Posts: 10721
GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
smiley wrote:
"Tale Of The Jelly Faced Man" by Joe Devita from the album "Song Collection 2012".


This indicates the problem with this fun game. The problem is we need to define the scope of this search for a unique word. The scope is just too wide at the moment.

I propose that;

1/ As the OP said THIS game is about a unique WORD. The PHRASE search can be another search. How intesting! Bob is a never-endind source of trivial games.

2/ The word may contain a punctuation. (So that I can win :wink:)

3/ The word must have FIRST been used by Bob Dylan and no other previous lyric writer. There are so many subsequent song writers who have copied Bob, we can't include them. (Also so I can win).

Whad about dat?

We also need a Judge. To adjudicate and settle Word game disputes.


I nominate the oldmanemu.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun August 19th, 2018, 23:01 GMT 

Joined: Wed November 18th, 2009, 21:35 GMT
Posts: 735
how about:
shake a shower or
constant scrapegoat


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 20th, 2018, 00:11 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed November 29th, 2017, 04:04 GMT
Posts: 1634
jimb727 wrote:

I nominate the oldmanemu.....



I agree. OldManEmu would make an excellent judge. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 20th, 2018, 04:38 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 28th, 2007, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 24545
Location: any where a music tragic might be found
Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon August 20th, 2018, 08:22 GMT 

Joined: Sat December 27th, 2014, 12:09 GMT
Posts: 118
Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:
tyke wrote:
How about 'mismanaged' ?


No:
https://www.lyrics.com/lyrics/mismanaged


I give up. I thought there were bound to be some from My Back Pages but no. Foundationed was close. But his use of words like organisation and mismanaged in a music context was quite innovative.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group