Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 25th, 2018, 11:22 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu August 2nd, 2018, 12:44 GMT 
Mercury Member

We all clamor for a new album of originals. I would love that as well. But number 2 for me would be the second installment of Chronicles. Its been long enough Bob!! I gotta assume it's written by now! Put the damn thing out!! What does the grapevine say on this??

PostPosted: Thu August 2nd, 2018, 16:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

I am in full agreement but given this is Bob I would not be surprised at all if Volume III is released prior to Volume II, which may not be released at all. He has developed a reputation for leaving the most desirable material in the vaults and I understand that Volume II is a minute by minute memoir of the Knocked Out Loaded sessions.

He's currenlty working on Chronicles, Volume VII, The Christmas In the Heart Sessions. I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am about that!!!

PostPosted: Thu August 2nd, 2018, 17:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

:shock: :lol:

UP you are one of a kind!

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 07:11 GMT 
Mercury Member

Apparently not much interest in this...

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 07:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

jimb727 wrote:
Apparently not much interest in this...

There's certainly interest, but until the book is ever announced (hopefully), there's not a whole lot more to be said. If you search for thread titles containing "Chronicles" there's 119 different threads filled with speculation and hopes. I think most here have given up.

The easy solution is to write the damn book already Bob!

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 07:32 GMT 
Mercury Member

We need some sort of uprising!!
I mean really..don't call something volume I and then leave us hanging!

WTF BOB!!

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 07:58 GMT 

It'll be out at Christmas in a nice box set with a free copy of "I'm Cold". Don't worry.

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 08:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

I heard the deluxe hardcover edition comes with Salt Lake City 1976 too!

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 12:16 GMT 
Promethium Member

If I remember correctly, when Simon and Schuster announced Chronicles it was a multi-book deal. For some reason seven volumes is in my mind but I may have been drinking when I read that...

Still, Chronicles was a fascinating read and even if 95%** were fabricated, who cares. It stimulated the imagination and made me laugh. And in these days of "alternate facts" whose to say those things didn't actually happen to Bob?

**95% is my number, an exageration perhaps, but there was concern expressed after publication that some of those things did not actually happen "to" Bob. I beg to differ. I cannot imagine anything to be gained by making stuff up... other than selling a few more books.

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 12:53 GMT 

Egads! How I hope for a Chronicles II and III and more. We all do. If/when it happens, methinks the format probably will be much different than Vol-1. I can't see Dylan using the same structure. Future volumes would be more like the relationship between GAIBTY and WGW rather than the American songbook stuff, if you follow me. Or like Back Home/Hwy61/and BonB. Take it somewhere else. Note: I am imbibing a steady flow of Jamison until Heaven comes to Mass/RI area.

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 12:56 GMT 

There was most certainly a multi book deal.... I'm gonna go 99% on my own memory of reading that on this site years ago.

I often ponder if Bob wrote too many truths on his sequel (sequels?) and it has been agreed upon to hold onto it for awhile before releasing it to the public. .... I clearly have no real knowledge of such things, just something I've thought about. ... Probably since the time area of his MusicCares speech. ..... Who knows?? .... Am hopeful for it's release.... and hopeful that more than one sequel has been already written.

.... Hey, wasn't something about Theme Time put out under that book deal? ... I'm going less than 99% on that, but kinda remember something along those lines.

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 13:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

As I have said on other threads like this. Do not hold your breath waiting.

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 13:12 GMT 

OK, what about a sequel to No Direction Home?

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 14:22 GMT 

OldHenryLee wrote:
There was most certainly a multi book deal.... I'm gonna go 99% on my own memory of reading that on this site years ago.

I often ponder if Bob wrote too many truths on his sequel (sequels?) and it has been agreed upon to hold onto it for awhile before releasing it to the public. .... I clearly have no real knowledge of such things, just something I've thought about. ... Probably since the time area of his MusicCares speech. ..... Who knows?? .... Am hopeful for it's release.... and hopeful that more than one sequel has been already written.

.... Hey, wasn't something about Theme Time put out under that book deal? ... I'm going less than 99% on that, but kinda remember something along those lines.

Probably useful to give a recap: According to Simon & Schuster in 2008, Dylan was working on a "sequel" to Chronicles. In 2012, Dylan claimed in a Rolling Stone interview that he was "always" working on parts of Chronicles Two and Three and hoped to eventually put them out. Given that there were so many delays with Chronicles One that its shifting publication date became something of a joke at Simon & Schuster, "hope" is probably the best term to describe the eventual publication of Two or Three. It probably all depends on Dylan's level of interest in the project.

The multi-book deal that you and UP remember is (maybe) something else. A 2010 article from "Crain's New York Business" noted that a literary agent was reportedly shopping around a "proposed series of books" authored by Dylan, including "a collection of riffs" from Theme Time Radio Hour as well as Chronicles Volume Two. As one would expect, Simon & Schuster was more than a little annoyed by the news, as they claimed Dylan was still under contract with them for Chronicles Volume 2 and 3, and one would expect the TTRH "collection of riffs" too, as it had been announced by S&S in 2008, although never published. A "source close to Dylan," who was almost certainly Jeff Rosen later told the LA Times that the Dylan offices were always in discussion about book projects, but no deal for any proposed projects had been closed. Personally, I think the contract had expired and it was all back room negotiations for Dylan to get a better deal from S&S, given that he ever delivers any further books.

As I've noted before in Expecting Rain, I know a bit about the TTRH "series of riffs," which for a while was going under the title of the "Theme Time Compendium" as I was in discussions at one point with the TTRH team to do some work on the project. But eventually they decided they couldn't do the book they wanted to do for a 2008 release. I didn't know at the time that the TTRH team was ending the show in early 2009, which it why it as critical for them and S&S to get the book out by Christmas 2008. I suspect th book would have been a piece of mostly visual ephemera similar to the Bob Dylan Scrapbook, probably a good Christmas present for the Dylan compleatist or TTRH listener in your family. "The Bob Dylan Scrapbook" sold a very respectable 125,000+ copies in 2005 according to Publishers Weekly, and perhaps the Compendium would have done as well. In any case, an opportunity missed for them - and for me. There was also some talk in the TTRH camp in late 2008/early 2009 about a series of "Theme" books, too, tying into and extending the TTRH franchise after the show's radio run. It's just as possible that, still under contract to deliver a book, Dylan's people said, "Yep, yep. We'll have some book for you Real Soon Now - sometime between now and when the contract expires."

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 15:14 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
Probably useful to give a recap

Thank you for that summary, Fred. As to Chronicles Vol. 2, I have been anticipating it since they announced Dylan's memoir would be multi-volume! There will be participants here who will be able to look up the various interviews more efficiently than I can, but when asked about Volume 2 over the years, Dylan has identified the time periods he would cover as that of Blonde on Blonde (but probably not earlier), Blood on the Tracks, and the period when he was recording Under the Red Sky and Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3 at the same time. I am sure this information has been quoted and commented on in the various Chronicles threads over the years, but since we are discussing it here, I thought it worth reintroducing.

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 16:04 GMT 

I reckon he was probably really into it for a while, and then suddenly lost all interest and moved on to something else.

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 18:23 GMT 

You never can tell

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 19:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

Interestingly, Bob has never released a volume two of anything. The bootleg series had Vol. 1-3, not strictly a volume two, then there's the traveling wilburys.

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 21:14 GMT 
Mercury Member

Shortly after Rainy Day Women 36 - 49 is my guess... or Positively 9th St

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 21:40 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Interestingly, Bob has never released a volume two of anything. The bootleg series had Vol. 1-3, not strictly a volume two, then there's the traveling wilburys.

Ehm... Good try! https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Dylan-Bob-Dylans-Greatest-Hits-Volume-II/master/29598

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 21:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

GuillemTM wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

Ehm... Good try! https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Dylan-Bob-Dylans-Greatest-Hits-Volume-II/master/29598

Ah! But in Britain it was released as 'More Greatest Hits'.

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 22:07 GMT 

He's old and getting older. Does he even remember anything from the old days?

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 23:54 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
OldHenryLee wrote:

Probably useful to give a recap: According to Simon & Schuster in 2008, Dylan was working on a "sequel" to Chronicles. In 2012, Dylan claimed in a Rolling Stone interview that he was "always" working on parts of Chronicles Two and Three and hoped to eventually put them out. Given that there were so many delays with Chronicles One that its shifting publication date became something of a joke at Simon & Schuster, "hope" is probably the best term to describe the eventual publication of Two or Three. It probably all depends on Dylan's level of interest in the project.

The multi-book deal that you and UP remember is (maybe) something else. A 2010 article from "Crain's New York Business" noted that a literary agent was reportedly shopping around a "proposed series of books" authored by Dylan, including "a collection of riffs" from Theme Time Radio Hour as well as Chronicles Volume Two. As one would expect, Simon & Schuster was more than a little annoyed by the news, as they claimed Dylan was still under contract with them for Chronicles Volume 2 and 3, and one would expect the TTRH "collection of riffs" too, as it had been announced by S&S in 2008, although never published. A "source close to Dylan," who was almost certainly Jeff Rosen later told the LA Times that the Dylan offices were always in discussion about book projects, but no deal for any proposed projects had been closed. Personally, I think the contract had expired and it was all back room negotiations for Dylan to get a better deal from S&S, given that he ever delivers any further books.

As I've noted before in Expecting Rain, I know a bit about the TTRH "series of riffs," which for a while was going under the title of the "Theme Time Compendium" as I was in discussions at one point with the TTRH team to do some work on the project. But eventually they decided they couldn't do the book they wanted to do for a 2008 release. I didn't know at the time that the TTRH team was ending the show in early 2009, which it why it as critical for them and S&S to get the book out by Christmas 2008. I suspect th book would have been a piece of mostly visual ephemera similar to the Bob Dylan Scrapbook, probably a good Christmas present for the Dylan compleatist or TTRH listener in your family. "The Bob Dylan Scrapbook" sold a very respectable 125,000+ copies in 2005 according to Publishers Weekly, and perhaps the Compendium would have done as well. In any case, an opportunity missed for them - and for me. There was also some talk in the TTRH camp in late 2008/early 2009 about a series of "Theme" books, too, tying into and extending the TTRH franchise after the show's radio run. It's just as possible that, still under contract to deliver a book, Dylan's people said, "Yep, yep. We'll have some book for you Real Soon Now - sometime between now and when the contract expires."

Thanks a lot for the info. Very much appreciated.

... Did a quick Google search and came across this article. Goes well along with your post.

https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2011/ ... -book-deal

Well, here's to hoping we end up with all of it at some point or another!

PostPosted: Sat August 4th, 2018, 00:03 GMT 

.... Hey, just maybe the upcoming Bootleg Series with the next Scorsese documentary will come along with the release of Chronicles Vol. 2 covering the same time area and it turning out the holdup of it coming out awhile back and getting the Basement Tapes instead actually had to do with the book being delayed. ... Doubtful, but nevah know.

.... Either way, to answer the question of the thread title I'm going to go with November of this year. :)

PostPosted: Sat August 4th, 2018, 01:13 GMT 

OldHenryLee wrote:
.... Hey, just maybe the upcoming Bootleg Series with the next Scorsese documentary will come along with the release of Chronicles Vol. 2 covering the same time area and it turning out the holdup of it coming out awhile back and getting the Basement Tapes instead actually had to do with the book being delayed. ... Doubtful, but nevah know.

.... Either way, to answer the question of the thread title I'm going to go with November of this year. :)

Well, that would be amazing and very welcome!!!