Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu August 16th, 2018, 09:48 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2018, 16:25 GMT 

McG wrote:
he most likely nicked that phrase from Moby Dick or some other book or film.

Assuming he actually read Moby Dick...

PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2018, 17:23 GMT 

Assuming he actually read Moby Dick...[/quote]

Dylan read Moby Dick.

PostPosted: Fri July 20th, 2018, 18:27 GMT 

^ ^ ^
and for any posters hERe who haven’t also read it:
my advice is to
stop typing right now
- this instant -
and don’t start again until you’ve finished it

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 03:47 GMT 

juststepintothearena wrote:
^ ^ ^
my advice is to
stop typing right now
- this instant -

I think you should stop posting until you have read Against The Day by Thomas Pynchon. For the first time or again.

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 04:33 GMT 

^ I'm just kidding, of course.
But it is a great book. Up there with Moby Dick.

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 08:26 GMT 

Location: Well I'm already there in my mind and that's good enough for now
^ ^ ^
my advice is to
stop typing right now
- this instant -

I red it last year, its a time travel, the images will never go away, a mind opener.

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 09:40 GMT 

I don´t know what is the difference between a hardcore fan and an obsessive fan. I don´t know where is the line to cross from being just a fan, a casual fan, a softcore fan to being a hardcore fan. There must be a big grey zone in between. I would like to think that Bob Dylan sees his audiences just as people. I don´t think he likes to be put in some category-box himself, so logically, he shouldn´t classify other people as well.

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 11:27 GMT 

Most Dylan fan I've encountered are very nice people. I've never dealt with anybody here on the forum that wasn't really cool. Surely Bob had some uncomfortable experiences with fans over the years. I doubt most of those people meant any harm but it was probably a hassle for him sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 13:50 GMT 

hana wrote:
I don´t know what is the difference between a hardcore fan and an obsessive fan. I don´t know where is the line to cross from being just a fan, a casual fan, a softcore fan to being a hardcore fan. There must be a big grey zone in between. I would like to think that Bob Dylan sees his audiences just as people. I don´t think he likes to be put in some category-box himself, so logically, he shouldn´t classify other people as well.

I would say if you 1) have all of his albums, 2) know the numbers after Rainy Day Woman, and 3) know what song Tales of Yankee Power are, you're a hardcore fan.

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 18:32 GMT 

Objection: I know that having all of Bob Dylan´s albums can simply mean you are rich and snobbish. Or you can just enjoy that you screwed your ex. I know several people who have all albums and have no possitive attitude towards the singer. Albums are a cheap decoration. Are they hardcore fans compared to people who don´t owe albums because of their lifestiles (they move often) but they like Dylan´s music? The other two points are questionable, too. Consider that Bob Dylan has made his way to schools and teachers can teach and test - whatever. It can be that the correct answers to 2) and 3) together with the knowledge of "which year BD won Nobel Prize" are required to pass a test. It can be the only "facts" children want to know about the singer. They are hardly hardcore fans - myself, I gladly forgot most "facts" I learned in school about anybody.

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 19:17 GMT 

Having all the albums isn't enough (I've got those). I think a hardcore fan also goes to a LOT of Dylan gigs (I don't - Blackbushe was my one only BD gig). And collects as many bootleg live recordings as they can (I have only a handful). Then there are the 'multiple versions' people (but I regard them as deranged).

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 20:30 GMT 

I wasn't talking about people who have all his albums but haven't listened to him in a year. There are people who collect products for the sake of collecting products.

There may be many hardcore fans who have never seen join because they live in a place Bob doesn't go to much. Some people may not be able to afford to travel. If you've seen him though at least 10 times I would say you're a hardcore fan. So it doesn't work both ways.

If you know the answer to 2 and 3, I'd say you're also a hardcore fan. The poster with the objection acknowledged most people forget what they've learned in school unless they're very interested in the subject matter.

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 21:00 GMT 

Ghost Of Lectricity wrote:
^ ^ ^
my advice is to
stop typing right now
- this instant -

I think you should stop posting until you have read Against The Day by Thomas Pynchon. For the first time or again.
Ghost Of Lectricity wrote:
^ I'm just kidding, of course.
But it is a great book. Up there with Moby Dick.
touche
i guess i was sorta joking too,
but maybe not really

and to the op:
how does dylan define hardcore?

PostPosted: Sat July 21st, 2018, 21:19 GMT 

to Narrow Way: I really don´t want to irritate you, but I still think your definition is wrong. In my opinion, even people whose memory sucks can be hardcore fans, if they wish to. I think "a hard core fan" is just a nonsense word. I even don´t know if it is meant possitive or negative - it probably can go both ways. I think everybody can argue about criteria (=what does it realy means to be a hard core fan) endlessly. Why should anybody see him 10 times? Why not 15 times? Or 8 times? What about blind people? And by the way - in my previous post I wrote about myself, not "most people". Many people have phenomenal memory. They can remember dates of recordings, or statistics about sales. I don´t want to offend them, I just don´t think that make them more hard core than others.

PostPosted: Sun July 22nd, 2018, 02:09 GMT 

I've seen him 30 times and I don't think of myself as a "hardcore" fan at all. I know plenty of people in NYC who have seen him 250+ times. That to me is true commitment - serious financial skin in the game over decades.

PostPosted: Sun July 22nd, 2018, 14:09 GMT 

hana wrote:
to Narrow Way: I really don´t want to irritate you, but I still think your definition is wrong. In my opinion, even people whose memory sucks can be hardcore fans, if they wish to. I think "a hard core fan" is just a nonsense word. I even don´t know if it is meant possitive or negative - it probably can go both ways. I think everybody can argue about criteria (=what does it realy means to be a hard core fan) endlessly. Why should anybody see him 10 times? Why not 15 times? Or 8 times? What about blind people? And by the way - in my previous post I wrote about myself, not "most people". Many people have phenomenal memory. They can remember dates of recordings, or statistics about sales. I don´t want to offend them, I just don´t think that make them more hard core than others.

No, not irritated at all. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. My statements were generalizations. Surely, someone can be hardcore and not know, or have forgotten 12 & 35 or the other answer was Señor. And a non Dylan fan could just know that because its important to him to know everything. But I think the generally if someone's knows those answers, they're hardcore. Hardcore isn't an insult to me, I simply define it as very interested.

My brother's girlfriend said she was a "big Dylan fan" but wasn't familiar with Shelter From The Storm. I've met other "me toos" like that. Someone could say I'm not hardcore, because I've taken these quizzes and miss stuff like his parent's names or the where he played in Minneapolis.

PostPosted: Sun July 22nd, 2018, 14:15 GMT 

Oh, if quizzes are the yardstick, I must be hardcore - I'm pretty unstoppable on the Dylan topic on QuizUp!

PostPosted: Sun July 22nd, 2018, 14:22 GMT 

Quizzes are fun. I do reasonably well on Dylan quizzes but usually miss a couple.

PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 08:54 GMT 

Thank you, Narrow Way, for your kindness. Somehow I think it´s quite interesting to try to define words everybody uses, but everybody can have different definitions of the meaning. I struggle with that everyday. I agree, hardcore fans are very interested. Question is "in what". Then there are always grey zones about possitive and negative. Here, Bob Dylan said he doesn´t feel he has any hardcore fans. In some other interview he told a story about people coming to him asking him about his opinions about organic farming. (they had to be super interested)... T.ex. People can think that stories about Bob Dylan sailing ship during his holiday is a private thing. Being published it becomes a public domain. Now fans need to justify their interest in private matters - t. ex. "he found the inspiration to the Caribbean wind there". Art usually mirrors aspects of private life - and people have different opinions even about the ways how to grasp it. And think - (just theoretically) if Bob Dylan just welded some metal detail to the boat and then sold it to some gallery - the morals of the story would change and the whole thing would become legitime. Anyway, would you consider people who are totaly into Dylan´s welding art but not the music hardcore fans or would you try to limit them to welding fans?

PostPosted: Mon July 23rd, 2018, 09:52 GMT 

I expect Bob has got buddies in the welding community who don't give a stuff about his music. Just like Neil Young in the world of model railways.

PostPosted: Tue July 24th, 2018, 01:39 GMT 

hana wrote:
Anyway, would you consider people who are totaly into Dylan´s welding art but not the music hardcore fans or would you try to limit them to welding fans?

I've always considered Bringing It All Back Home to be the result of welding.

PostPosted: Sun July 29th, 2018, 09:01 GMT 

Why is it that when people talk about me they have to go crazy? What the x is the matter with them? Sure, I had a motorcycle accident. Sure, I played with the Band. Yeah, I made a record called John Wesley Harding. And sure, I sounded different. So x what? They want to know what can’t be known. They are searching – they are seekers. Like in the Pete Townshend song where he’s trying to find his way to 50 million fables. For what? Why are they doing this? They don’t really know. It’s sad. It really is. May the lord have mercy on them. They are lost souls. They really don’t know. It’s sad – it really is. It’s sad for me, and it’s sad for them.
— Bob Dylan, 2012 (Rolling Stone interview)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun July 29th, 2018, 14:41 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Why is it that when people talk about me they have to go crazy? What the x is the matter with them? Sure, I had a motorcycle accident. Sure, I played with the Band. Yeah, I made a record called John Wesley Harding. And sure, I sounded different. So x what? They want to know what can’t be known. They are searching – they are seekers. Like in the Pete Townshend song where he’s trying to find his way to 50 million fables. For what? Why are they doing this? They don’t really know. It’s sad. It really is. May the lord have mercy on them. They are lost souls. They really don’t know. It’s sad – it really is. It’s sad for me, and it’s sad for them.

Am I the only one thinking this about everyone else in here? :lol: you poor bastards.
(Not me though) ha!

PostPosted: Thu August 2nd, 2018, 08:59 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:

This from someone who travelled all the way to New York to find Woody Guthrie and become his greatest disciple... or something! Heh!
He's just trying to be controversial, it's too late to want to be mysterious and untouchable now, he is a commodity. We fans own him! Bwah ha ha ha... etc.

PostPosted: Fri August 3rd, 2018, 10:42 GMT 

"Why is it that when people talk about me they have to go crazy? What the x is the matter with them?"

Bob Dylan, 2012 interview