Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed September 19th, 2018, 10:39 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 20:41 GMT 

I'm Stark Naked wrote:
I think the longest is between Under the Red Sky, and Time Out Of mind - 7 years.

Tool, my favourite band, hasn't released a new album since 2006. For the last twelve years, fans have been anticipating new songs.
Compared to that, being a Bob Dylan fan is a dream: we had two cover albums betweens UTRS and TOOM and three since Tempest. We get all these great Bootleg Series releases and the Never Ending Tour is still going strong at age 77. :D

But of course, an album with new songs would be great. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu June 21st, 2018, 12:33 GMT 

Not at all. He's released hundreds of originals already. I don't think he expected his career to go this far. If he releases any other originals while he's with us, I'll consider it a bonus.

PostPosted: Thu June 21st, 2018, 16:35 GMT 

FriendOfTheMartyr wrote:
Not at all. He's released hundreds of originals already. I don't think he expected his career to go this far. If he releases any other originals while he's with us, I'll consider it a bonus.

Welcome. A great username and a wise and sensible first post.

PostPosted: Thu June 21st, 2018, 16:58 GMT 

Dylan to me is like boxing. Let's face it, the heyday is the past. Fortunately, I can relive the past with both interests.

The only other boxing fan that I know of on here is Rolling Thunder.

PostPosted: Fri June 22nd, 2018, 08:30 GMT 

Bobs heyday is in the past but your named after a recent song, so his twilight years might not be so bad.

PostPosted: Fri June 22nd, 2018, 09:13 GMT 

Maybe I've overplayed his earlier work but I find myself enjoying his post 1997 releases waaaay more than his 60s output. Time Out of Mind, Love & Theft and parts of Modern Times and Tempest are top-tier Dylan. I don't for a second believe that he's suddenly lost it. Its more a case of whether writing another record interests him right now.

He also seems to put more care into crafting records these days, which might go some way to accounting for the 6 year wait. Old age, touring and family also playing a part no doubt.

PostPosted: Fri June 22nd, 2018, 09:16 GMT 

frenchdog wrote:
Maybe I've overplayed his earlier work but I find myself enjoying his post 1997 releases waaaay more than his 60s output. Time Out of Mind, Love & Theft and parts of Modern Times and Tempest are top-tier Dylan. I don't for a second believe that he's suddenly lost it. Its more a case of whether writing another record interests him right now.

He also seems to put more care into crafting records these days, which might go some way to accounting for the 6 year wait. Old age, touring and family also playing a part no doubt.

Top tier! Thanks for the laugh.

PostPosted: Fri June 22nd, 2018, 13:36 GMT 

frenchdog wrote:

I'm a big fan of his newer stuff too. Don't get me wrong, the archival releases have been superb but I would prefer a new album of originals. I think he's always writing or creating art--that is what he does. I believe we will get another record of originals in the next couple years.

PostPosted: Fri June 22nd, 2018, 14:13 GMT 

frenchdog wrote:
Maybe I've overplayed his earlier work but I find myself enjoying his post 1997 releases waaaay more than his 60s output. Time Out of Mind, Love & Theft and parts of Modern Times and Tempest are top-tier Dylan.

I guess ill respond since one thread recently said no one says anything anymore.

Mod Bob is where it's at. Pre crash I'll listen to BOB or Live 66. Love the other pre crash but just not like mod. BIABH too and would love a Live 65 post electric I guess but that's another story

Mod Bob rules and Tempest was his last album of originals.

PostPosted: Fri June 22nd, 2018, 16:43 GMT 

TOOM wrote:
frenchdog wrote:
Maybe I've overplayed his earlier work but I find myself enjoying his post 1997 releases waaaay more than his 60s output. Time Out of Mind, Love & Theft and parts of Modern Times and Tempest are top-tier Dylan.

I guess ill respond since one thread recently said no one says anything anymore.

Mod Bob is where it's at. Pre crash I'll listen to BOB or Live 66. Love the other pre crash but just not like mod. BIABH too and would love a Live 65 post electric I guess but that's another story

Mod Bob rules and Tempest was his last album of originals.

Seconded.

PostPosted: Sat June 23rd, 2018, 13:57 GMT 

Narrow Way wrote:
Dylan to me is like boxing. Let's face it, the heyday is the past. Fortunately, I can relive the past with both interests.

Perhaps he has another great album or two of original material. But even if that's the case, of course a majority of his best work has likely been released.

PostPosted: Sat June 23rd, 2018, 15:14 GMT 

Narrow Way wrote:
Narrow Way wrote:

Perhaps he has another great album or two of original material. But even if that's the case, of course a majority of his best work has likely been released.

I am a boxing fan, Narrow Way, and Bob Dylan can and will certainly keep writing and producing as long as he lives. There never was a man so full of purpose (maybe Winston Churchill).

PostPosted: Mon June 25th, 2018, 08:19 GMT 

Remember when he was going to write multiple memoirs and then just didn't? Or when he was a painter? Or a whiskey salesman? Or a SiriusXM DJ?

I do like to think that he's been working on and off again on one last great album of originals, but he obviously has found a number of avenues for his creativity beyond music, so who knows.

Post subject: New Album of Originals?
PostPosted: Thu June 28th, 2018, 20:45 GMT 

Can we expect one or was Tempest it?

PostPosted: Thu June 28th, 2018, 22:09 GMT 

Caribbean Wind wrote:

Speculation was rife in 2012 that Tempest would be Dylan’s last original
album, as that was the title of Shapespeare’s last play. Dylan was quick to
point out that the play in question was called THE Tempest: “two different
things”. So in his mind at the time, Tempest would not be his final statement.
Of course even the last albums are a statement of sorts, but not a statement
from the writer.

I’d say there is another album in the proverbial pipeline. The 50th anniversary
won’t pass without another original album. Of course, I’ve been wrong before :)

PostPosted: Thu June 28th, 2018, 22:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

gerardv wrote:
Speculation was rife in 2012 that Tempest would be Dylan’s last original
album, as that was the title of Shapespeare’s last play. Dylan was quick to
point out that the play in question was called THE Tempest: “two different
things”. So in his mind at the time, Tempest would not be his final statement.
Of course even the last albums are a statement of sorts, but not a statement
from the writer.

Why is everyone so fast to call it his last play? Henry VIII, Two Noble Kinsmen, and The History of Cardenio (granted this one is a lost play) have all been acknowledged as being written with John Fletcher after The Tempest. When Dylan's album came out, it was all the rage to compare it to Shakespeare's great play even though it doesn't really hold up as a comparison.

PostPosted: Thu June 28th, 2018, 23:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Md23Rewls wrote:
Remember when he was going to write multiple memoirs and then just didn't? Or when he was a painter? Or a whiskey salesman? Or a SiriusXM DJ?

I do like to think that he's been working on and off again on one last great album of originals, but he obviously has found a number of avenues for his creativity beyond music, so who knows.

Theme Time on Sirius was always going to be a set number of shows. I bet we never see another Chronicles, that horse left the barn and went and died somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri June 29th, 2018, 16:20 GMT 

As I see it...

1. Tempest v. The Tempest: First off, classic Bob answer. I do think that the title is a nod to it likely being his last and his retort the wink. But I do think that we get one more but just that it's after he's gone.

When I first read about the Shakespeare connection I feel like I looked it up and The Tempest was his last that was an original work and only followed by things that he either borrowed or wrote with others like was just noted. To me that felt like Bob and his history of doing covers and more recently like the albums of standards.

But more plainly I see it through the lens of Seinfeld or Neil Young for that matter. It is about going out on top like Seinfeld was able to manage or the whole "it's better to burn out than to fade away" notion. While Tempest is not his top, it is very good and it kind of works as a capstone to the post-epiphany era that became the NET or mod-Bob.

When Tempest first came out I took to the first few songs and then just kind of let it languish. I didn't put in the time to really take in the rest of it. But that was mostly due to some lesser years of touring in my opinion, really being tossed by TTL which did nothing for me and leaving me just disinterested. But then I found Thousand Highways and was bowled over by particularly his In Prague collection which only drove me back to ER and deeper into the shows. As I was going through this reawakening we had one of the worst winter's here on the East Coast in years and I spent a lot of cold, dark nights falling asleep to Tempest and would wake up to different parts of it each night. I'm not even sure that I can articulate it but I was left with the feeling that this was a very meaningful album and really that would suit being his last.

And the only way to go out even more on top and boost ones legacy? Collect and craft some killer material and have it waiting for after the fact. It's also a great way to leave some money for those you left behind which only makes sense given his push for money and need for it as has been rumored over the last few years.

2. Chronicles: Again, classic Bob. Can't help but think of those Wilbury's albums. Just where was Volume 2, right? Again maybe after he's gone something will drop or those with the answers will be let loose. But again his half telling as in Chronicles is classic Bob.

If we really wanted it any different would we really be sitting here writing and reading on this forum?

PostPosted: Fri June 29th, 2018, 19:23 GMT 

Any different than the bleak picture you just painted? Not to invite all sorts of nutty questions, but there have been new originals that he and the band have worked out together. So at least for a moment those songs have cracked the silence . Well, it's been awhile since I heard that , I kept my word and didn't tell no one cuz figured
Folks will hear about it
You don't have to shout it

Fast forward over a year later...
Ok why are we still now still waiting?
Don't know why, @dylanswife ! Please substantiate
You most likely know what he's up to, unless you are lije those other"wives" who were not allowed to sleep with him in bed,, well at his home anyway.

PostPosted: Fri July 6th, 2018, 07:15 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Come to think about it, yes, I am starting to get desperate!

I haven't been excited about a Dylan release since Shadows In The Night.
I need a shot of Dylan soon. Maybe the rumored next BS release will be it.

PostPosted: Fri July 6th, 2018, 10:23 GMT 
Senior Moderator

"If it be now, ’tis not to come. If it be not to come, it will be now. If it be not now, yet it will come—the readiness is all."

PostPosted: Fri July 6th, 2018, 12:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

Caribbean Wind wrote:

Tempest was Shakespeare’s last play.
Bob has paid recognition in many ways to the great poets and writers of the past dating back to the classic poets of Greek and Roman times . As well as acknowledging the traditional folk ballads and poets right up to T. S. Elliot.
He has also if we loook at his past released albums as groups of 3 in a sequence, eg the last 3 starting with Shadows and before that. Love And Theft , Modern Times and Tempest.
I feel that considering his age and achievements most if not of his releases over the next several years will mainly be a continuation of the Bootleg series.
Having written all of the above, I am well aware that it is entirely possible that the unpredictable man will continue to confound us all and for all I know it is possible that a great album of original material is just about ready to be released.

PostPosted: Mon July 9th, 2018, 03:23 GMT 

Another gal done gone wrote:
Any different than the bleak picture you just painted? Not to invite all sorts of nutty questions, but there have been new originals that he and the band have worked out together. So at least for a moment those songs have cracked the silence . Well, it's been awhile since I heard that , I kept my word and didn't tell no one cuz figured
Folks will hear about it
You don't have to shout it

Fast forward over a year later...
Ok why are we still now still waiting?
Don't know why, @dylanswife ! Please substantiate
You most likely know what he's up to, unless you are lije those other"wives" who were not allowed to sleep with him in bed,, well at his home anyway.

Bobby is a restless, old man! He writes songs behind my back. :cry:

He does know his fans well..and with that being said, if he feels he has written and sung something worth puttin out, he'll do so... Somewhere in the archives is an album of Bob singing one of his albums in a different language...But I doubt that'll ever see the day light...

BUT..

We all know he is the worst critic of his own material, shelving many good and great songs, and a few masterpieces. Thank god we have them Bootleg series. :o So if he has been in and out of the studio in recent years with new material, we will likely one day see it released as another BS installment. In short, if we don't get it now, we will later.