Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue September 25th, 2018, 13:38 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue June 19th, 2018, 21:24 GMT 

There hasn't been a credible rumour regarding a new album of original songs in a while. I mean, Tempest is almost 6 years old. He'll soon head into uncharted waters, as far as gaps between records that have the imprimatur stamped on them: "All Songs Written by Bob Dylan." I think the longest is between Under the Red Sky, and Time Out Of mind - 7 years.

It makes me wonder, does he have new songs, but isn't bothered to release them? Or has he ever gone back to the religious songs he discarded in favour of Tempest, and thought to work them into a record?

Or has winning the Nobel Prize intimidated him?

Or is an announcement of new songs imminent?

Anybody else come here every day hoping to get news that's slow coming?

PostPosted: Tue June 19th, 2018, 21:52 GMT 

Bob is a very sick man. The only way to get him to do something his fans would appreciate would be by using triple reverse double psychology + 1.

Bob is the master of sick, twisted unbelievable shit that his poor band mates and Record Company have to put up with. He’s a very childish boy who suffers from aspbergers.

Whatever you want him to do, he’ll do the opposite of and then continue it beyond belief.

So how do we get him to finish his book, maybe write another (like a James Bond spy novel) or put out some new songs or even play the harmonica again?

Triple reverse double psychology plus 1.

PostPosted: Tue June 19th, 2018, 23:44 GMT 

Every time someone comments on the "BS14 When is it coming out?", I click hoping to see a link showing a new big box of Rolling Thunder concerts and BOTT outtakes/etc.

After the last three Sinatra albums, I have kind of given up on a new album of originals. As jokerman61 said, Bob will probably confound us all and release more Sinatra covers. As I am expecting nothing, anything would be a nice surprise.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 00:02 GMT 

Chins up, you guys.

We all know how long the wait was for originals after 'under the red sky,' and it produced 'TIME OUT OF BLOODY MIND.'

I really trust that Bob is taking his time to make the wait worth it for him/us, more so than with 'Together Through Life' or even 'Tempest.' Yes I said it and will stand by it. He wants a big one this time. Personal. Reflective.

But yeah I've never been right before so we'll see.

(Except I'm pretty sure.)

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 00:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

We haven't reached the quota yet for "when's the next original album?" threads. Once we prove that we deserve it, Bob already has one recorded that will release immediately. Keep at it guys.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 00:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

I suspect it's all or mostly recorded as well. But, yes, I am getting desperate for hard news (or even substantial gossip).

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 01:42 GMT 

I'm Stark Naked wrote:
Anybody else come here every day hoping to get news that's slow coming?

I come to gawk at the celebrity worshipers.

jokerman61 wrote:
his poor band mates

haha

Perhaps they'd prefer working for Roger Waters. Or spare-changing on some Interstate onramp.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 04:55 GMT 

Didn’t Quintana make 300 a week? Or was it someone else. I seem to remember that be the starting pay for a new drummer

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 05:54 GMT 

It would be nice to get an album of new Bob songs but at 77 he doesnt really need to do anything. I really enjoyed the detour studiowise anyway.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 07:18 GMT 

jokerman61 wrote:
Bob is a very sick man. The only way to get him to do something his fans would appreciate would be by using triple reverse double psychology + 1.

Bob is the master of sick, twisted unbelievable shit that his poor band mates and Record Company have to put up with. He’s a very childish boy who suffers from aspbergers.

Whatever you want him to do, he’ll do the opposite of and then continue it beyond belief.

So how do we get him to finish his book, maybe write another (like a James Bond spy novel) or put out some new songs or even play the harmonica again?

Bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 08:01 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
It would be nice to get an album of new Bob songs but at 77 he doesnt really need to do anything. I really enjoyed the detour studiowise anyway.

I agree with this. A new album would be more than welcome, but at this point I wouldn't blame Bob if he just wanted to spend his time off the road catching up with family and things like that. At this stage everything he does is a bonus.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 08:48 GMT 

Expectations are extremely high winning the Nobel price and all. He doesn’t need to prove anything to anyone cept’ maybe himself. And I doubt that his that desperate. Sure we are all in desperate need for a batch of new songs. But imagine the critics dissecting new songs now that he is a Nobel price winner in literature... no matter what he puts out, to them it simply won’t be good enough. So I guess in his mind he would be saying why bother.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 09:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Kiko wrote:
Expectations are extremely high winning the Nobel price and all. He doesn’t need to prove anything to anyone cept’ maybe himself. And I doubt that his that desperate. Sure we are all in desperate need for a batch of new songs. But imagine the critics dissecting new songs now that he is a Nobel price winner in literature... no matter what he puts out, to them it simply won’t be good enough. So I guess in his mind he would be saying why bother.

Ya, but that’s the thought process of a quitter.
Bob is not a quitter.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 10:06 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Kiko wrote:

Ya, but that’s the thought process of a quitter.
Bob is not a quitter.

Your right bobs no quitter! And I had no intention in portraying him as one. But can you imagine the pressure on bob. Even if he doesn’t release a batch of new songs ever, I wouldn’t call him quitter.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 10:53 GMT 

I think the pressure on Bob due to the Nobel is negligible. The whole
Nobel thing didn’t take him to Stockholm for the ceremony, and neither
did it move him to submit an essay of much substance. I doubt if
many people would look differently at a new Dylan album just because
he happened to win the prize in ‘16. He’s only been going for 47 years.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 11:57 GMT 

gerardv wrote:

Indeed, and this could be just the moment that Dylan decides a sequel to Under The Red Sky, including Wiggle Wiggle Part Two, is opportune.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 12:09 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
gerardv wrote:

Indeed, and this could be just the moment that Dylan decides a sequel to Under The Red Sky, including Wiggle Wiggle Part Two, is opportune.

That would be worth waiting for :wink:

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 13:31 GMT 

"I can't wait
Wait for you to change your mind
It's late
I'm tryin' to walk the line
Well, it's way past midnight
And there's some people all around
Some on their way up
Some on their way down
The air burns and I'm tryin to think straight
And I don't know how much longer I can wait
I'm your man
I've tried to recover the sweet love that we knew
You understand
That my heart can't go on beating without you
Well your loveliness has wounded me
I'm reeling from the blow
I wish I knew what it was that keeps me loving you so
I'm breathin' hard standin' at the gate
Oh, but I don't know how much longer I can wait
Skies are gray
I'm looking for anything that will bring a happy glow
Night or day
It doesn't matter where I go anymore I just go
If I ever saw you comin' I don't know what I might do
I'd like to think I could control myself
But it isn't true
That's how it is
When things disintegrate
And I don't know how much longer I can wait
I'm doomed to love you
I been rollin' through stormy weather
I'm thinkin' of you
And all the places we could roam together
It's mighty funny
The end of time has just begun
Oh honey, after all these years you're still the one
Well I'm strollin' through the lonely graveyard of my mind
I left my life with you
Somewhere back there along the line
I thought somehow that I would be spared this day
I don't know how much longer I can wait"

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 13:52 GMT 

No, couldn't really care less if he never puts out another new recording. Bring on the BOTT/RTR boxset and leave me alone.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 14:12 GMT 

McG wrote:
No, couldn't really care less if he never puts out another new recording. Bring on the BOTT/RTR boxset and leave me alone.

I'm looking forward to that as well, but as far as I'm concerned that would be a 'bonus' or the icing on the cake if a new album of originals was released. I'm pretty sure something will be forthcoming, I'm positive he wouldn't want to leave the fans with three volumes of Sinatra covers as a lasting memory. He's known for being original and has confounded people in the past when they thought he was all washed up, I'm pretty sure he'll come up with the goods again.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 16:20 GMT 

jokerman61 wrote:

Speaking for everyone here, we'd all take Bob's sickness over your wellness everyday.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 17:56 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
I'm looking forward to that as well, but as far as I'm concerned that would be a 'bonus' or the icing on the cake if a new album of originals was released. I'm pretty sure something will be forthcoming, I'm positive he wouldn't want to leave the fans with three volumes of Sinatra covers as a lasting memory. He's known for being original and has confounded people in the past when they thought he was all washed up, I'm pretty sure he'll come up with the goods again.

^^I would be very surprised if this were not the case.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 18:48 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
dvdunplugged wrote:

^^I would be very surprised if this were not the case.

He wouldnt have recorded three volumes of "Sinatra covers" if he didnt want them to be part of his lasting legacy, he deliberately made those records. I feel that he did do something original with those songs and it confounded people because it wasnt a safe option really. Bob has put out more embarassing records than the last three.

If fate decrees things Id take Triplicate as the last album Bob released over things like Under the red sky or Knocked out loaded.

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 19:01 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I suspect it's all or mostly recorded as well. But, yes, I am getting desperate for hard news (or even substantial gossip).

I don't think there's a new album wholly or even partly recorded unfortunately. I still think there will be one at some stage subject to health and mortality constraints. Fingers crossed....

PostPosted: Wed June 20th, 2018, 19:02 GMT 

He wouldnt have recorded three volumes of "Sinatra covers" if he didnt want them to be part of his lasting legacy, he deliberately made those records. I feel that he did do something original with those songs and it confounded people because it wasnt a safe option really. Bob has put out more embarassing records than the last three.

If fate decrees things Id take Triplicate as the last album Bob released over things like Under the red sky or Knocked out loaded.[/quote]

My guess on Triplicate and the rest, is Bob hears that he's a genius but can't sing. So he is trying to prove he can sing. Considering I have no interest in "singers," it doesn't do anything for me.