Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 22nd, 2018, 07:34 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed July 25th, 2018, 20:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'll be picking this mofo up.

PostPosted: Thu July 26th, 2018, 08:44 GMT 

Mine just arrived from Japan. Very nicely put together little package, 2 booklets and a poster! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri July 27th, 2018, 11:27 GMT 

The Bard wrote:
Mine just arrived from Japan. Very nicely put together little package, 2 booklets and a poster! :shock:

And an extra track !

PostPosted: Fri July 27th, 2018, 12:06 GMT 

It's available on Spotify and Apple Music in many places.

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2018, 03:05 GMT 

eddiethecat wrote:
The Bard wrote:

And an extra track !

Not a particularly rare one though ;)

I'm really enjoying this listen.
A great curated trawl back through that amazing period!

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2018, 13:30 GMT 

Just picked this up for £7.99 from HMV, that's cracking value for a new release 2cd set, but puts into perspective how overpriced even the standard 2 disc editions of The Bootleg Series are (not that that will stop me from purchasing the full bells-and-whistles version of BS14 though).

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2018, 13:56 GMT 

johnh wrote:
Laura wrote:
All the songs on this CD, except the 1966 recordings, have also been included in those Anniversary Collections, which have been released for the years 62-65 so far to keep the recordings from entering the public domain in Europe. They were all issued in either very few copies (62-64), or to people who pre-ordered the Cutting Edge Collectors Edition from the BD website (65).

I actually regularly play songs from the Anniversary Collection on my radio show, Definitely Dylan. In the last episode I played the second ever live performance of Just like Tom Thumbs Blues, from the 65 Anniversary Collection, which is a fascinating performance.
I also did an entire episode dedicated to rare early 60s recordings with material from the collections.

You can check out the show here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/definitelydylan/

sorry to derail the thread, which episode deals with the rare early 60s recordings? Listening to the most recent just now, cheers
john

The episode dedicated to rare early 60s recordings (almost all from the Anniversary/Copyright Collection) is this one from the 22 April: [url]no attempts to shovel the glimpse
Into the ditch of what each one means[/url]

But I've played a number of other tracks from those compilations throughout the show, including the first ever performance of Mr. Tambourine Man (10 June).

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2018, 15:23 GMT 

A worthwhile release but I'd rather have had more from the 1962-1965 collections than from the widely available 1966 material.

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2018, 16:12 GMT 

HardTimes wrote:
It's available on Spotify and Apple Music in many places.
The full album was on Spotify last night when i listened to it,only 6 songs on there now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2018, 21:47 GMT 

smiley wrote:
A worthwhile release but I'd rather have had more from the 1962-1965 collections than from the widely available 1966 material.

YES!
Me too; I find this both great at times (the sound quality of the 1963 NYC tracks for example), and very frustrating. It's got great stuff obviously but it feels like a tease (compared to what could be released), and yes, why the 1966 material again?

Disappointed.
It's better than nothing I guess. And it was cheap at least.

PostPosted: Sat July 28th, 2018, 23:08 GMT 

Laura wrote:
johnh wrote:
sorry to derail the thread, which episode deals with the rare early 60s recordings? Listening to the most recent just now, cheers
john

The episode dedicated to rare early 60s recordings (almost all from the Anniversary/Copyright Collection) is this one from the 22 April: https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan-22nd-april-2018/

But I've played a number of other tracks from those compilations throughout the show, including the first ever performance of Mr. Tambourine Man (10 June).

Dang, sorry to post here again. Just had to fix the link in my previous post and couldn't find an option to edit. So the correct link is now here.

PostPosted: Sun July 29th, 2018, 01:59 GMT 

It would have been nice if the date and place information in the booklet were legible. Small type in dark blue on black is not a good design.

PostPosted: Sun July 29th, 2018, 07:50 GMT 

Jim B. wrote:
smiley wrote:

YES!
Me too; I find this both great at times (the sound quality of the 1963 NYC tracks for example), and very frustrating. It's got great stuff obviously but it feels like a tease (compared to what could be released), and yes, why the 1966 material again?

Disappointed.
Yeah, this. I've bought it, but - given that I've also just bought the 1966 box - it's 'one for the shelf', for the next time I do the full chronological run-through.

PostPosted: Sun July 29th, 2018, 09:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Jim B. wrote:
smiley wrote:

YES!

Disappointed.

Everything from 1962 to 1966 HAS been released. Go hunt down the complete copyright boxset.

I like this collection as it's easier to listen to than wading through the masses of stuff in the copyright box sets.

PostPosted: Sun July 29th, 2018, 09:17 GMT 

It's nice to have, and cheap enough. I'd like to have all the 1965 concerts released in similar manner to the 1966 stuff as well as physical releases for the Carnegie and Festival Hall gig, this will have to do until then. A shame that the BBC gig seems to exist only in the quality heard here, as it's a brilliant gig. Even at the peak of his sixtie's performing powers you still shouldn't have Boots...and Girl...too close together on the tracklist! The general 'meh' attitude towards this release also shows how spoiled we've become with the Bootleg Series. This would have been a major release once.

PostPosted: Sun July 29th, 2018, 09:22 GMT 

The full album has now disappeared from Spotify

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun July 29th, 2018, 18:39 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
It's nice to have, and cheap enough. I'd like to have all the 1965 concerts released in similar manner to the 1966 stuff as well as physical releases for the Carnegie and Festival Hall gig, this will have to do until then. A shame that the BBC gig seems to exist only in the quality heard here, as it's a brilliant gig. Even at the peak of his sixtie's performing powers you still shouldn't have Boots...and Girl...too close together on the tracklist! The general 'meh' attitude towards this release also shows how spoiled we've become with the Bootleg Series. This would have been a major release once.

It is a major release - just one not aimed at gnarled collectors. Same goes for all the Copyright Collections, getting an original was/is quite hard but hearing them is not. The only BBC recordings are the off-air ones in circulation. Some have been tweaked but the sources are the same. Blame Carleton-Greene.

My teeth are shaking in anticipation of BS 14 and even though I have got all its likely contents it will still be a major release.

PostPosted: Sun July 29th, 2018, 23:14 GMT 

Nice enough CD, but I agree with the above comments. Too much 1966. I am enjoying it all the same.

I live in Japan but noticed it was half the price to order it from America. (Japanese translations of the lyrics/titles/liner notes apparently double costs!) I ordered the American version and then was a bit annoyed I didn't get the "bonus" track, but seeing as I have it on the 1966 box set, No Direction Home album and the "Albert Hall" Bootleg series. I can get over the disappointment!

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2018, 08:33 GMT 

onlysmiledonce wrote:
bobfan wrote:

It is a major release - just one not aimed at gnarled collectors. Same goes for all the Copyright Collections, getting an original was/is quite hard but hearing them is not. The only BBC recordings are the off-air ones in circulation. Some have been tweaked but the sources are the same. Blame Carleton-Greene.

My teeth are shaking in anticipation of BS 14 and even though I have got all its likely contents it will still be a major release.

I have copies of all the Copyright Collections; I was just stating that I'd like to have them officially released and in CD format. I'm old fashioned like that!

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2018, 09:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

bobfan wrote:

Who'd have thought we'd ever complain about getting 'too much '66' :lol:

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2018, 12:43 GMT 

I can´t find no info about the bonus track on the Japan release.

Which song is it ???

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2018, 13:16 GMT 

"Like A Rolling Stone" from Manchester...

PostPosted: Mon July 30th, 2018, 16:14 GMT 

smiley wrote:
"Like A Rolling Stone" from Manchester...
As someone suggested upthread, this would once have been the Holy Grail, the one to sell your children to get your hands on. Now, everybody and his dog already has it.

PostPosted: Tue July 31st, 2018, 01:26 GMT 

I think it's fair to say there is too much 1966. Some of us have almost the entire tour on CD now.

It seems the marketing strategy is entire concerts on the BS series for the fanatics and "Best of" 2CD set culled from a certain period for the more casual fan. I guess there's always going to overlap for the fanatic, when purchasing this kind of album. I liked how it showed the development of Bob in those years, but then I realised "Didn't the NDH BS installment already do that (with maybe more of a studio emphasis?)"

Anyway, I'm always happy with any new discs to spin, despite my complaining.

PostPosted: Tue July 31st, 2018, 13:54 GMT 

So I lifted LARS from Manchester 17 May 66 and added it to the end of Disc 2, thus creating my own custom "Japanese Exclusive Edition" at a fraction of the cost. Plays seamlessly but could someone with an original JEE compare the tracks and say whether they are identical or whether the new CD features an edit (i.e. no National Anthem fx)?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next