Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri August 17th, 2018, 05:06 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: "He's Funny That Way"
PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 05:18 GMT 

Bob sings "She's Funny That Way" as "He's Funny That Way" for new compilation EP!

Here's the Pitchfork article with an embed from Spotify:

https://pitchfork.com/news/bob-dylan-si ... on-listen/

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 05:21 GMT 

I'm glad I'm here before everyone gets triggered but I am loving it. What a treat to have an unexpected new Bob song. Would anyone have believed that Bob would sing a gay song yesterday? I am so happy thank you Bob. Sounds like they got a full orchestra too. I can't think of another song with this type of backing.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 07:35 GMT 

Here is the song https://www.qnews.com.au/listen-bob-dyl ... love-song/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xVKqq4EO5TU

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 07:53 GMT 

That's lovely, great to hear Bob with an orchestra!

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 07:57 GMT 

So good! And yes, backing like we haven't heard before exactly. Very nice strings.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 08:19 GMT 

He could have just given them "Ballad of a Thin Man".

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 08:19 GMT 

I was praying that his Great Satanic Songbook phase would end, but not like this.

Queen Larry, he's my friend
Yes, I believe I’ll go see him again
Nobody has to guess
That Baby can’t be blessed
Till he sees finally that he’s like all the rest
With his fog, his amphetamine and his pearls

He takes just like a woman, yes
He makes love just like a woman, yes, he does
And he aches just like a woman
But he breaks just like a little girl

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 08:47 GMT 

I can't say that I am the biggest fan of the 'songbook' era - but I think this is really cool! It is not something I would have expected from Bob, but maybe even better for that.

Guess I know what my wedding song is going to be...

:)

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 09:11 GMT 

Pretty cool. Didn't his daughter get married to a woman a few years ago? Maybe he did this as a tribute to her?

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 09:14 GMT 

This is nice. Good one Bob!

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 09:49 GMT 

Good, glad he did this. I am generally capable of not judging an artist on their social and political beliefs but the fire and brimstone anti-gay bullshit he came out with in the 80s did piss me off.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 10:01 GMT 

I bet Tony's blushing.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 10:05 GMT 

Nice, but I think I prefer the standards done with the usual band, pedal steel guitar and all

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 10:19 GMT 

Just had a listen, I really like the arrangement and I think his singing is excellent here.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 11:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

thisisjohn wrote:
Pretty cool. Didn't his daughter get married to a woman a few years ago? Maybe he did this as a tribute to her?

Probably, though it's nice to think he's non-judgemental on love. Funny how his wedding songs tend to be kinda unhappy. Anyway, can't say that as a song I'm enjoying this more than the other Sinatra stuff, but I appreciate the sentiment.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 11:27 GMT 

Is that really a gay love song meant for weddings? I just think he expresses his feelings towards his audiences. He cannot digest those hippies who came to his kitchen and wanted to discuss organic farming in 60-ies...

Yes, I can see it can be a gay love song, too. But for weddings it seems a little bit doubtful in its statement.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 11:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yet another lullaby.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 11:32 GMT 

On the first listen, im not hearing anything that i like in this. Hes doing what he wants and thats got to be good, i just dont get it.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 12:44 GMT 

I think it's amusing and a huge sign of the times that this it touted as a 'gay love song'... of course that its relevance to the album its being released on...

but artists often used to perform songs written for the other gender without changing the lyrics. IT was just a case of performing the song. No-one would have batted an eyelid.

I suspect that's what Dylan did here. Performed the song and then it's been retro-fitted to find a place on an album supporting gay marriage.

I really like the song and I really like Mr. Dylan's interpretation of it. It's actually interesting to hear him do it with more of a big band, after hearing so much material done with his group on the last three albums, much as I love them.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 12:57 GMT 

Rimshottbob wrote:
I think it's amusing and a huge sign of the times that this it touted as a 'gay love song'... of course that its relevance to the album its being released on...

but artists often used to perform songs written for the other gender without changing the lyrics. IT was just a case of performing the song. No-one would have batted an eyelid.

I suspect that's what Dylan did here. Performed the song and then it's been retro-fitted to find a place on an album supporting gay marriage.

I really like the song and I really like Mr. Dylan's interpretation of it. It's actually interesting to hear him do it with more of a big band, after hearing so much material done with his group on the last three albums, much as I love them.

Um, but why didn't he sing the actual 'she' words then?

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 13:07 GMT 

McG wrote:
Rimshottbob wrote:

Um, but why didn't he sing the actual 'she' words then?

:) quite. As if he had the fully orchestrated song lying around as sung about a guy.
Somewhat less than likely.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 14:23 GMT 

Mr. Kaplan said that when he contacted Mr. Dylan, he got a very quick yes. “And it wasn’t just ‘yes, I’ll do this,’” he said. “It was ‘hey, I have an idea for a song.’”
--from the NY Times.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 14:26 GMT 

Loose Fur wrote:
Bob sings "She's Funny That Way" as "He's Funny That Way" for new compilation EP!

Here's the Pitchfork article with an embed from Spotify:

https://pitchfork.com/news/bob-dylan-si ... on-listen/

Thank you for posting this Loose Fur. Interesting in a few ways. His voice sounds really really great on this! It is the voice of a much older man but he manages the higher notes very well and puts really great feeling into the sentiment of the words. The orchestral backing is a gentler accompaniment than the electric sound of his current band. I know that sounds daft but the need for amplification of the drums and guitars means his voice does get drowned out live.

I think the strings really allow us to hear the nuances he is putting into the phrasing and his expression of words. Makes me think I'd love to hear him do something acoustic with his current band e.g. Tony on double bass and an acoustic guitar or violin, with Bob singing, maybe piano too. Sure would add a fresh sound, and would let us hear Bob's voice better. Maybe that would be hard to do live especially night after night. But would love to hear a stipped down version of the current band on a few songs.

With his current band, their range of instruments and talent, they could make any combination and sound wonderful with Bob's voice like this.

Just doesn't matter an iota whether it was written for a he or she and now sung for a he or she. Or that he made some anti-gay statements decades ago. We are all living in a different World now. He has moved away from that. Where I live, if we kept looking back to what people said in the 70's there would be hatred and bitterness everywhere. Best to embrace the progess people have made and not dwell on looking back.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 14:27 GMT 

I love it, it's beautiful and I'm glad he did it.

PostPosted: Thu April 5th, 2018, 14:33 GMT 

restless wrote:
I love it, it's beautiful and I'm glad he did it.

^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next