Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed August 15th, 2018, 14:32 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 22:13 GMT 

Leonard wrote:
Union Sundown....

I'll be cremated with union card in my pocket, so back off Bob.

I've always interpreted this song as a lament, not a wish nor celebration, of the decline of the Union, which can be taken as referring to that of the 'trade' kind or the Union of those States of America, or both together.

PostPosted: Fri March 23rd, 2018, 22:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

"Sure was a good idea 'till greed got in the way..."

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 02:15 GMT 

JOEY!

They Killed Him - a distant 2nd.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 02:38 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
JOEY!

They Killed Him - a distant 2nd.

JOOOOOOOEY!

I love it, it’s just so bloody silly.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 02:40 GMT 

Yep.

But he's so earnest!

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 02:43 GMT 

Joey, followed by Rainy Day Women.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 07:59 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Since it's well known and popular, I'll choose Hurricane.
Miss Patty Valentine just nodded her head

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 08:01 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
JOEY!
This will help
https://youtu.be/HUu0HVjOc9c

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 08:15 GMT 

Nice to see everyone being so open and honest but there are some choices I really don't believe. Forever Young? Make You Feel My Love? Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat? Wow!

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 12:37 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Nice to see everyone being so open and honest but there are some choices I really don't believe. Forever Young? Make You Feel My Love? Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat? Wow!

I think Forever Young and Make You Feel My Love tread a thin line between overly sentimental mush and beautiful and heartfelt. I think they they fall into the latter category but I can understand why some people don't.

Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat though, how anyone couldn't love that song I have no idea. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 13:53 GMT 

foxy wrote:
dvdunplugged wrote:

I think Forever Young and Make You Feel My Love tread a thin line between overly sentimental mush and beautiful and heartfelt. I think they they fall into the latter category but I can understand why some people don't.

Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat though, how anyone couldn't love that song I have no idea. :lol:

I understand your reasoning but that could apply to load of Dylan songs - Knockin' On Heavens Door, Lay Lady Lay? They are still great songs though!

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 13:58 GMT 

Gotta Serve Somebody, yes, it is.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 14:07 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
I understand your reasoning but that could apply to load of Dylan songs - Knockin' On Heavens Door, Lay Lady Lay? They are still great songs though!

Nah, I agree with you, just my suspicion for other peoples reasoning. Some songs are definitely more sentimental than others too. Lay Lady Lay I have never thought of as sentimental though, more lustful than anything!

I'm not with the camp (even if it just consists of Jeremy Paxman) who would cast aside the poetry of Rabbie Burns as "sentimental doggerel", in fact I vehemently disagree and I think people who vomit at the merest hint of sentiment are emotionally moribund. Same goes for Dylan.

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 14:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

There is hardly anything I will skip when I put the whole catalog on shuffle (which I frequently do) - but the one that comes to mind is "Ballad in Plain D."

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 20:13 GMT 

- "Gates of Eden"
- "Forever Young" (the slow one especially)
- "I Believe in You"
- "Make You Feel My Love"
- "Floater (Too Much to Ask)"

PostPosted: Sat March 24th, 2018, 20:36 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
summerteeth wrote:
JOEY!
This will help
https://youtu.be/HUu0HVjOc9c

Help? I don't know.
If Thunders had written it, this acoustic punk performance might be an amusing curiosity.
Nothing else.

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 00:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

Silvio is the only one i've found tempted to skip

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 02:07 GMT 

"gates of Eden" is mine.

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 04:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

What are the complaints against Gates of Eden? I’ve never understood the disdain for it.

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 08:31 GMT 

A Merry Llama wrote:
Silvio is the only one i've found tempted to skip

I find it the one thing that saves Down In The Groove from being permanently stored in it's case!

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 09:02 GMT 

To Make You Feel My Love.

The beginning of the end.
From then, it was mostly crooning.
Some songs are even worse - Moonlight, Beyond The Horizon... - but it all started with To Make You Feel My Love.

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 09:23 GMT 

Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:

Some songs are even worse - Moonlight, Beyond The Horizon... - but it all started with To Make You Feel My Love.

Can't agree I'm afraid, if their was a 'beginning of the end' I'd put it around the Modern Times era, Nettie Moore, Workingman Blues #2 and Beyond The Horizon were where it all kicked off but there was a respite in the form of Tempest. I think people treat Make You Feel My Love with a bit of distain because an artist like Adele had a massive hit with it and it was featured in shows like the X Factor. It's still a good song though.

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 09:34 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:

Can't agree I'm afraid, if their was a 'beginning of the end' I'd put it around the Modern Times era, Nettie Moore, Workingman Blues #2 and Beyond The Horizon were where it all kicked off but there was a respite in the form of Tempest. I think people treat Make You Feel My Love with a bit of distain because an artist like Adele had a massive hit with it and it was featured in shows like the X Factor. It's still a good song though.

With the maximum respect for your opinion - and I agree with some points you make, too - I must say I think it's exactly the other way around.
Make You Feel has a halo of respectabilty and greatness because it's been frequently covered by lots of very good artists.
Other than that, it's just a schmaltzy and cheesy song, unworthy of Rolling Stones and Visions Of Joahnna.
Incredible, to me, it's the same person who penned them.

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 10:43 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:

Yeah! I'm flummoxed by these choices too.

My 89 year old Mum came to Lisbon for the first time last week, to meet me 'cos I was here for the Dylan gig. She hasn't listened to him since Blowing in the wind came out I suspect. Not joking there. She is more of an opera fan, and anything Classical she likes, Gregorian chant, traditional ballads too. She goes to a fair few Classical concerts every year. When we were growing up she would tell Dad to stop strumming his Guitar. Said it was a 'racket'.

I played exactly those two songs for her the night before the show. Forever Young and Make you feel my love. I thought she might tell me to turn off the racket. Well she was so taken with Forever young. She asked for it a few times. She kept saying she never knew he was so good :lol:

She sent me a text after we parted. Said thanks for telling her all about 'That Bob Dillon, what an amazing artist'. He's got a NEW fan. She is planning her 90th Birthday and want's us to play Forever young. She thinks 76 years of age is nothing!! :lol:

Rainy day women is my current skip it tune. But that changes depending on mood.

PostPosted: Sun March 25th, 2018, 11:04 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
dvdunplugged wrote:

Yeah! I'm flummoxed by these choices too.

My 89 year old Mum came to Lisbon for the first time last week, to meet me 'cos I was here for the Dylan gig. She hasn't listened to him since Blowing in the wind came out I suspect. Not joking there. She is more of an opera fan, and anything Classical she likes, Gregorian chant, traditional ballads too. She goes to a fair few Classical concerts every year. When we were growing up she would tell Dad to stop strumming his Guitar. Said it was a 'racket'.

I played exactly those two songs for her the night before the show. Forever Young and Make you feel my love. I thought she might tell me to turn off the racket. Well she was so taken with Forever young. She asked for it a few times. She kept saying she never knew he was so good :lol:

She sent me a text after we parted. Said thanks for telling her all about 'That Bob Dillon, what an amazing artist'. He's got a NEW fan. She is planning her 90th Birthday and want's us to play Forever young. She thinks 76 years of age is nothing!! :lol:

Rainy day women is my current skip it tune. But that changes depending on mood.

Your mother's no Rainy Day Woman, that's for sure. She sounds a wonderful lady. She was bound to like Dylan, when she got a decent opportunity to hear him-she has great taste in music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next