Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu April 25th, 2019, 10:28 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon November 26th, 2018, 20:30 GMT 

It seems like there´s not a proper thread about this.
This is of course an absolute treat. A full, professionally recorded meeting with Dylan and the press when he was at his peak.
I´ve seen it several times, like most of you I guess. It´s so hilarious... Not sure what´s more amusing, if Dylan´s priceless answers to the bizarre (sometimes stupid) questions journalists throw at him, or the extremely high state of nerves of the journalists. They all look like kids, totally intimidated by the great man, scratching the back of their heads nervously and self-consciously as they ask their questions. :lol:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMp8x4SYREI
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWOfviwpGl8
Transcript of the interview: http://dylanstubs.com/extras/1965.pdf

So many gems here:

What do you think of people who analyze your songs?
I welcome them – with open arms.

I thought the motorcycle was an image in your songwriting. You seem to like that.
Oh, we all like motorcycles to some degree.

If you were going to sell out to a commercial interest, which one would you choose?
Ladies garments.

Mr. Dylan, I know you dislike labels and probably rightfully so, but for those of us well over thirty, could you label yourself and perhaps tell us what your role is?
Well, I’d sort of label myself as “well under thirty.” And my role is to just, y’know, to just stay here as long as I can.

PostPosted: Tue November 27th, 2018, 13:51 GMT 

Could the line about ladies garments be seen as a preview of that Victoria's Secret ad?

You're right, this press conference is definetly worth watching again and again. Bob at the top of his game. The coolest person on the planet, and he knows it.

PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2018, 08:55 GMT 

I've thought about it a great deal.

PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2018, 11:15 GMT 

hjh wrote:

That guy is creepy, even if we do all like motorcycles to some degree.

PostPosted: Wed November 28th, 2018, 15:17 GMT 

Sluggy wrote:
hjh wrote:

That guy is creepy, even if we do all like motorcycles to some degree.

That guy's name was Eric Weill, and he has a hell of a story.

First there's the fact that, at one point, he was a suspect in the Zodiac killings.

Quote:
In the early morning hours of October 22, 1969, the Oakland police department received a phone call from a man claiming to be the Zodiac. The caller said he wanted famous Boston attorney F. Lee Bailey to appear on a local television talk show, but told the operator that he would settle for San Francisco lawyer Melvin Belli in the event Bailey was unable to appear.

Hours later, Belli was the guest on the show with host Jim Dunbar. A man called the KGO television station several times, and, in conversation with Belli, claimed he was the Zodiac and that his name was "Sam." One exchange revealed that Sam had been interested in Belli for some time.... At [another] point during the exchange, the caller threatened, "I’m gonna kill those kids!" Belli persuaded Sam to meet with him in person, but, due to the media circus surrounding the secret meeting, no one was surprised when Sam failed to appear at the agreed upon location.

[...]

On January 14, 1970, SFPD Inspector William Armstrong contacted the FBI to report that someone claiming to be the Zodiac had called the home of Melvin Belli and asked to speak with the famous lawyer. The report read:

1 14 70 RE: SAN FRANCISCO AIRTEL DECEMBER TWENTY NINE LAST. On instant date Insp. (name redacted), Homicide Detail, San Francisco Police Department, confidentially advised that UNSUB, who identified himself as 'Zodiac,' telephonically contacted attorney Melvin Belli's residence in effort to contact Belli. UNSUB was advised Belli was in Europe and stated, "I can't wait. Today's my birthday."

This report was marked "URGENT" and directed to the "Identification Bureau."

[...]

The "birthday" call inspired police to set up a trace on Belli’s home phone in the hopes that future calls from "The Zodiac" would lead to his location and identity. On February 18, 1970, Inspector Armstrong contacted the FBI to report that the individual who had been calling Belli at the television station had been identified and located. The calls had been placed from a mental institution, and the caller, who had used the names "Sam" and "The Zodiac," was actually a patient named Eric Weil.

An amateur photographer, Eric Weil lived in the Bay Area during the 1960s. "By all accounts, Eric was just one of those guys who showed up everywhere with a camera," wrote a former acquaintance. "My efforts to track down Eric were unsuccessful. One person I interviewed was pretty sure Eric ended up doing time in prison not long afterwards."

On December 3, 1965, songwriter and rock legend Bob Dylan appeared at a press conference held in the studio of San Francisco television station KQED and hosted by the music lover, Ralph J. Gleason. Eric Weil attended the conference and took photographs with a Polaroid camera throughout the event. As the conference began, Weil had an odd question for Dylan.

GLEASON: Who's first? Come on.

WEIL: I’d like to know about the cover of your, of your forthcoming, or your, uh, uh, album - the one with Subterranean Homesick Blues in it. I’d like to know about the, the meaning of the photograph with you and the wearing of the "Triumph" tee-shirt.

DYLAN: What did you want to know about it?

WEIL: [i]Well, that, you know, that, that’s an equivalent photograph, it means something, it’s got a philosophy in it –
(audience laughs; Dylan is amused) – and I’d like to know visually what it represents to you, because you’re a part of that.

DYLAN: (searching for an answer) I haven’t really looked at it that much, I don’t really –

WEIL: (emphatically) I’ve thought about it a great deal.

DYLAN: All right, it was just taken one day when I was sitting on the steps, you know. I don’t, uh, I don’t really remember, really, uh, too much about it.

WEIL: What about the motorcycle as an image in your, in your songwriting? You seem to like that.

DYLAN: Oh, well, we all like motorcycles, to some degree.

WEIL: (quietly) I do.

Weil's fascination with celebrity was evident during the 1965 press conference and during his 1969 telephone conversation with Melvin Belli on KGO television. Speaking as "Sam," Weil admitted to TV host Jim Dunbar that he had previously attempted to call the television station during Belli's appearance on the program several weeks earlier. Weil's behavior indicated that he had become fixated with Belli, and that the calls to Belli's home were part of his ongoing efforts to establish contact with the publicity-loving lawyer.

In his 1971 summary of the Zodiac case, reporter Paul Avery wrote that Eric Weil had been identified after calls to Belli’s home were traced to the mental hospital. In his 1975 book, GREAT CRIMES OF SAN FRANCISCO, San Francisco Chronicle reporter Duffy Jennings stated that police had been able to locate "Sam" after calls to Melvin Belli’s home were traced to the hospital in Oakland. Jennings wrote that police believed the imposter had been responsible for the calls to the television station as well as call to the Oakland police department in October. San Francisco investigators cleared Eric Weil as a Zodiac suspect.

http://www.zodiackillerfacts.com/belli.htm

(Note: The author misspells his surname throughout. It's actually Weill.)

Then there's this...

In 2016, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Beatles final concert, at Candlestick Park, a big-time Beatles fan named Dave Seabury put together an exhibition of never been seen photos from the show. He'd had the photos blown up from a contact sheet he found at a garage sale in the 1980s. He'd never been able to identify the photographer. At the closing party for the exhibition, a friend of a friend said he recognized one of the shots of Lennon; he thought he might have a copy at home. A weeks later, the guy was going through some drawers when the photo fell out. When he flipped it over, there on the back was a stamp that read, "Photo: Eric Weill."

He told Seabury and Seabury and his friends dutifully began to try to track down Weill. They discovered that he had a twin sister, a folk singer named Rita Weill, who passed away in 2013. Finally they learned that Eric, sadly, suffered from bipolar disorder and committed suicide in 2006. Though Eric Weill left no heirs, his sister Rita and her husband, Michael Byxbe, had a son named Ethan, who is his sole surviving relative. Seabury tracked down Ethan Byxbe and he gave the show his blessing.

It's a wild story. You can read the whole thing here: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articl ... es-photos/

PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2018, 01:45 GMT 

I don't recall checking this out before so thanks wormington.

PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2018, 16:44 GMT 

Honestly I'll never actually get around to watching this interview but appreciate the link regardless.

PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2018, 17:48 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
Could the line about ladies garments be seen as a preview of that Victoria's Secret ad?

You're right, this press conference is definetly worth watching again and again. Bob at the top of his game. The coolest person on the planet, and he knows it.

Agreed. The coolness that pours out of him, particularly at the beginning when he approaches, takes a seat and looks around for an ashtray is equal to none. The only one who comes close in that aspect is Keith.

And about this guy Eric Weill, yes, he's creepy as hell. I only recently heard about all that weird stuff about Zodiac killer.

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2018, 18:50 GMT 

A couple other very different interviews from the same period

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvHq5UTRldo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB2hmVDErAg

The first one is with some DJ called Bob Fass apparently. Never heard of him, but him and Bob clearly know each other and get along fine. It sounds like it´s just a couple of pals misbehaving and having a laugh together.

As for the second, again don´t know this Allen Stone DJ guy, but he clearly gets what Bob is doing on his new stage and really appreciates it. He is very respectful and builds an intelligent chat. Really nice to hear.

PostPosted: Sat December 29th, 2018, 09:54 GMT 

Here´s another one, seems to be from a bit earlier than the ones above it seems, judging by the tone of the interview and his voice.
A few months later interviews would get a lot edgier and creapier. This one´s quite relaxed.

A few more great answers:

"What´s your main message?"
"Eat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCgU8t34JKE&t=55s