Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon June 25th, 2018, 11:18 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2018, 07:51 GMT 

Just a few questions on this specific version of Desire:

1. Just how different is it compared to CD/vinyl copies?
2. Is it a cleaner sound similar to Slow Train Coming or more of an “in the studio” sound?
3. The reverb on the vocals, is that completely stripped away? (I don’t really have an issue with this at all, but I would be interested to hear the difference.)
4. Do I need specific equipment to listen to Quadrophonic records/music?

I figured it be best to ask the ER community about this, rather than try to figure it out on my own. As the last question might show, I know very little about specific recording/remastering techniques.

Thank you in advance, and if anyone has any experiences with this version of the album I’d be thrilled to hear about them.

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2018, 08:25 GMT 

http://searchingforagem.com/1970s/1976.htm

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2018, 11:45 GMT 

ShotofMercy wrote:
Just a few questions on this specific version of Desire:

1. Just how different is it compared to CD/vinyl copies?
2. Is it a cleaner sound similar to Slow Train Coming or more of an “in the studio” sound?
3. The reverb on the vocals, is that completely stripped away? (I don’t really have an issue with this at all, but I would be interested to hear the difference.)
4. Do I need specific equipment to listen to Quadrophonic records/music?

I figured it be best to ask the ER community about this, rather than try to figure it out on my own. As the last question might show, I know very little about specific recording/remastering techniques.

Thank you in advance, and if anyone has any experiences with this version of the album I’d be thrilled to hear about them.

1. They made a separate mix for the quadraphonic version of Desire. The differences to the stereo version are quite noticeable.
2. I would not call it cleaner, it's just different in that different elements stand out when compared to the stereo version.
3. Only a little bit, I would say.
4. If you want to hear true quadraphonic sound, you need to have a quadraphonic system: four speakers and specially designed decoders and amplifiers. Technically you can play quadraphonic LPs on a regular stereo system. The quadraphonic mix will be "folded down" to stereo (2 channels) and you will still hear if the mix is different.

There are also quadraphonic versions of Nashville Skyline and Planet Waves, but in those cases the mixes are not that different from the regular stereo versions.

In general I think that quadraphonic sound or its follow-up 4.0 sound or 5.1 sound are gimmicky and unnecessary in rock music and actually distract from the immediate impact rock music is supposed to have. Setting up a stereo system is enough of a hassle, quadraphonic systems are a pain in the a**.

If you are interested in different mixes you should check out the mono versions of Dylan's (and other artists') 1960s LPs as they are all superior to their stereo counterparts. Mono was the main format until the late 1960s, the main goal at the time was to create a great mono mix, stereo was an afterthought for a niche market. More info here: http://www.electricdylan.net/MonoStereo/MonoStereo.htm

PostPosted: Sat March 10th, 2018, 12:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

In answer to 1. Yes, it is very different and well worth hearing. Having bought 'Abandoned Desire' I later found that quite a bit of it is actually the quad mix - it is still often the version I go to.

https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Dylan-Aband ... se/3313882

Copies turn up on e-bay fairly often, or one can search the blogosphere for a download, which naturally I cannot recommend, honest.