Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue June 19th, 2018, 06:43 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: BBC FOUR Arena Bob Dylan
PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2018, 13:27 GMT 

BBC Four are showing Bob Dylan Trouble No More tonight at 10pm, followed by Sings Dylan II
Johnny Cash on before that

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/schedules/bbcfour

moab

Last edited by man on a bridge on Fri March 30th, 2018, 13:50 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2018, 13:34 GMT 

Thank you MOAB. Setting up to record!

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2018, 13:57 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Thank you MOAB. Setting up to record!

:D Me too.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2018, 15:26 GMT 

The Easter weekend might yet be saved! It's been raining all day here and I've got West Ham v Southampton tomorrow where tension will really be tight. Loads of events around here have been cancelled due to the weather so at least there is something to look forward to!

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2018, 22:52 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I don't know why but it was great to see it "live" as it was broadcast, maybe it was the thrill of knowing it was being seen simultaneously in thousands of other homes. Pity the continuity announcer talked over Every Grain of Sand at the end though - she was urging us to press the red button to see Def Leppard....

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2018, 22:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

I caught it on some premium channel here in the states about a month ago and boy those Michael Shannon parts are tough to get through.

PostPosted: Fri March 30th, 2018, 23:25 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
I don't know why but it was great to see it "live" as it was broadcast, maybe it was the thrill of knowing it was being seen simultaneously in thousands of other homes. Pity the continuity announcer talked over Every Grain of Sand at the end though - she was urging us to press the red button to see Def Leppard....

That's a lucky leppard.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 00:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

charlesdarwin wrote:

I wondered if that might enhance the experience. I managed to get hold of the DVD a few weeks ago, having had the audio of the box even as many people were complaining about the delay in delivery. I confess that I've watched about 15 minutes so far. I know there are two or three wonderful performances on it but for some reason wading through the rest fills me with inertia. I rather wish I'd turned the telly on now!

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 01:10 GMT 

Watching it now. Bob could quite certainly hold a note in those gospel years, some excellent singing here.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 06:30 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
I caught it on some premium channel here in the states about a month ago and boy those Michael Shannon parts are tough to get through.

Certainly were, luckily there was a Johnny Cash doc before Trouble No More with a film of Dylan and Cash in the studio playing One Too Many Mornings. The singing and playing on Trouble No More were fine but I found myself becoming detached from the programme during the messages from the pulpit.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 08:40 GMT 

The DVD has a menu option whereby you can watch music only, skipping the sermons. But in a strange way, I kinda enjoy them, mainly because I like Shannon's delivery. Apropos of nothing, I've just read James Ellroy's "Blood's a Rover", and in my head I had mentally cast Michael Shannon as Wayne Tedrow Jr.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 08:42 GMT 

I know what you mean, but I guess it's still much easier to get through it now, knowing that it was just a phase, then sitting there in 1980, thinking that's what it's gonna be from here on out.

At the same time I'm not surprised by the accolades for "Trouble No More" and the reappraisal of the Gospel years. Tons of powerful stuff there.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 10:22 GMT 

Handsomeinthefog wrote:

Tons of powerful stuff there.

Just goes to show that tastes vary. I'm not familiar with Saved, and I thought that stuff was pretty feeble in content. Where are the good tunes? I did like When He returns, Abraham, Martin and John and the verse of Every Grain which was annoyingly talked over. But frenetic hot gospel, no.

Who was he singing with on Abraham, Martin and John? ANSWER Clydie King---marvellous.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 14:02 GMT 

tyke wrote:
Handsomeinthefog wrote:

Tons of powerful stuff there.

Just goes to show that tastes vary. I'm not familiar with Saved, and I thought that stuff was pretty feeble in content. Where are the good tunes? I did like When He returns, Abraham, Martin and John and the verse of Every Grain which was annoyingly talked over. But frenetic hot gospel, no.

Who was he singing with on Abraham, Martin and John? ANSWER Clydie King---marvellous.

To clarify, I meant powerful compared to what he's been offering since and especially today. As for "frenetic hot gospel" - I wouldn't have expected that from a white multi-millionaire in his 40s, so maybe I approached it with a different set of expectations.

I agree with you that his message sometimes seemed more important to him than the tunes in that era.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 14:48 GMT 

Watching the opening fragment of 'Jesus Met the Women at the Well' prompted this thought: I've never seen Bob play the bass before

I love this doc.
The sermons.
All of it.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 14:54 GMT 

I watched five minutes then switched over to Silence Of The Lambs. Far less horrific.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 15:10 GMT 

Of course I watched the film some months ago for the first time. Yesterday I tried it again in the tv.
Again I must say: I never understood that some people found the gospel shows very powerful.
"Trouble No More" - the film - seems to verify my opinion.
One or two performances may be called engaged and maybe powerful (for me the slower songs are the more better ones), the rest seems to be half-hearted or moderate to me
Bob delivers his best song and the best performance at the end singing Abraham, Martin and John, which is no gospel at all.

The sermons in TNM are uninspired, boring and unimportant - not even something to be annoyed about.
I would have preferred to watch and listen to Bob's original talk, although I would have been again furious about his opinions I think.
Of course I - as most of us here - know what he said in those times. I didn't like his sermons at all. But better the real thing than pale imitations.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 20:51 GMT 

I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I wasn't expecting to enjoy the Michael Shannon parts, but I thought he did a great job and the sermons complimented the songs nicely. I was glad that all the band got prominently credited at the end too, they were fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 21:07 GMT 

Drake wrote:
Watching the opening fragment of 'Jesus Met the Women at the Well' prompted this thought: I've never seen Bob play the bass before .

You didn't see him play it there, either.

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 21:28 GMT 

Looks like a bass to me :shock:

moab

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 21:49 GMT 

man on a bridge wrote:
Looks like a bass to me :shock:

moab
It was. But he wasn't exactly playing it!

PostPosted: Sat March 31st, 2018, 21:50 GMT 

.... :lol: