Expecting Rain
https://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/

The best Dylan single released in 1965?
https://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=93197
Page 1 of 1

Author:  dvdunplugged [ Wed February 28th, 2018, 16:28 GMT ]
Post subject:  The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Can't believe he had six singles out in a year, which is your favourite? Take in consideration the 'B' side when making your choice. PS Had to cut short Honey, Just Allow Me One More Chance as it overran the permitted line length.

Author:  Senyor Timbaler [ Wed February 28th, 2018, 16:37 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

LARS. No matter the b side. Also with a blank b side.

Author:  dvdunplugged [ Wed February 28th, 2018, 18:37 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

I'm torn between two and can't make up my mind.

Author:  Ain't Talkin' [ Wed February 28th, 2018, 18:59 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Senyor Timbaler wrote:
LARS. No matter the b side. Also with a blank b side.


Wasn't there a LARS that was split over two sides - Pt. 1 and Pt . 2 ?

Author:  wormington [ Wed February 28th, 2018, 19:06 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Anybody that doesn´t vote for LARS should be... erm... dunno what. But we should be doing something to these people. And should be harsh and humiliating

Author:  bloodblondehighwayhome [ Wed February 28th, 2018, 19:32 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Everything on that list is extraordinary, but given that one of them is the greatest single ever recorded by anyone, well... LARS, of course.

Author:  TheBoiledGutsofBirds [ Wed February 28th, 2018, 23:39 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

LARS is the best single released by anyone, ever.

Author:  WrittenInMySoul [ Thu March 1st, 2018, 06:52 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

LARS is not only the best single released by Dylan in 1965, it is the best single dylan ever released, the best single of 1965 and of course the best single ever.

Apart from that, I'm torn between Pos.4th Street and the SBH/She belongs to me combo.

I just checked wikipedia: there was a promo single released to DJs which a split version of LARS on both sides. The regular single is the one with Gatesof Eden on the flipside.

Author:  Ain't Talkin' [ Thu March 1st, 2018, 19:10 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

I like that P4S / FAB6 single, wish I had it. But you can't deny the mighty LARS, even if GoE is the flip.

Author:  wormington [ Thu March 1st, 2018, 19:16 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
I like that P4S / FAB6 single, wish I had it. But you can't deny the mighty LARS, even if GoE is the flip.

*sigh*
You´ve just made your first reasonable post since I don´t know when on the other poll, and here you are now immediately ruining it by dissing the enormous Gates of Eden.
I don´t know why I keep wasting my energy trying to put you on the right track. You sir are hopeless

Author:  Ain't Talkin' [ Thu March 1st, 2018, 19:24 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

I enjoy GoE actually, it's just not the best choice from other better songs that might have gone there. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues on the B-side, would have made a cracking single.

Author:  wormington [ Thu March 1st, 2018, 19:29 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
I enjoy GoE actually, it's just not the best choice from other better songs that might have gone there. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues on the B-side, would have made a cracking single.

Alright, I think you only just saved it there. I guess it´s an odd choice for a b-side to LARS, as it doesn´t quite work with it sound wise, plus it´s too good and unique a song to be a bloody b-side in the first place.
And yes, Tom Thumb or Queen Jane would have been a better match.

Author:  4litre [ Tue March 13th, 2018, 13:25 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

wormington wrote:
Ain't Talkin' wrote:
I enjoy GoE actually, it's just not the best choice from other better songs that might have gone there. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues on the B-side, would have made a cracking single.

Alright, I think you only just saved it there. I guess it´s an odd choice for a b-side to LARS, as it doesn´t quite work with it sound wise, plus it´s too good and unique a song to be a bloody b-side in the first place.
And yes, Tom Thumb or Queen Jane would have been a better match.


. . . though neither Tom Thumb nor Queen Jane had been recorded when LARS was released as a single. I'd have gone for Sitting On A Barbed Wire Fence (the take that was on BS1-3), for which a mono mix was evidently made (and later bootlegged). Dylan evidently thought it was a throwaway ("We recorded that song, but I haven't got any words for it, man"); but what better place than a B-side for such a great-sounding throwaway? Maybe he was afraid radio stations might play the B-side in preference to LARS; well, they certainly weren't likely to play Gates Of Eden.

Author:  arlo [ Sun March 18th, 2018, 13:46 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

I am not a contrarian and think LARS is amazing - but I have always marginally preferred Positively 4 street . I believe it to be a sister song in many ways.

It's a close call for me and in time I might flip. IMO 4th street is his most underrated song.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sun March 18th, 2018, 14:29 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

At first I just couldn’t vote, because it felt like voting for:
- Free Bird on a Skynyrd site
- Stairway on a Zeppelin site
- Won’t Get Fooled Again on a Who site
- Inna Gadda De Vida on an Iron Butterfly site
- Smoke on the Water on a Deep Purple site
- American Pie on a Don McLean site
- Iron Man on Sabbath site
- Whipping Post on an Allmans site
- Aqualung on a Tull site
- Precious on a Pretenders site
- Because the Night on a Patty Smith site
- Roundabout on a Yes site
- Walk on the Wild Side on a Lou site
- Foxy Lady on a Hendrix site
- Muleskinner Blues on a Bill Monroe site
- Bob Marley’s greatest hits, etc.

Then I realized, “Wait! 6 kickass singles within ONE year?”
There's the amazing difference!
Who else has done that? Maybe the Beatles?

So I got myself out of the “Greatest Played-Out Hits” mindframe
and lo & behold, with Gates of Eden on the B-side, LARS,
of course, is a shoe-in!

I mean, try & time-transport yourself to what was happening
in music that year at the time. Dylan blew us away!
Imagine hearing LARS for the first time amongst it all!
Dylan rewrote the scene. Period.

Author:  Ain't Talkin' [ Sun March 18th, 2018, 19:50 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Most of the content of the 6 "kick ass" singles is pulled from LP's and the first is from 1963. Beatles recorded and issued singles seperately from albums. I also wonder how much input Dylan had over what was issued as a single. He must have had some, but Columbia kind of did what they wanted anyway.

Author:  arlo [ Sun March 18th, 2018, 20:56 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
At first I just couldn’t vote, because it felt like voting for:
- Free Bird on a Skynyrd site
- Stairway on a Zeppelin site
- Won’t Get Fooled Again on a Who site
- Inna Gadda De Vida on an Iron Butterfly site
- Smoke on the Water on a Deep Purple site
- American Pie on a Don McLean site
- Iron Man on Sabbath site
- Whipping Post on an Allmans site
- Aqualung on a Tull site
- Precious on a Pretenders site
- Because the Night on a Patty Smith site
- Roundabout on a Yes site
- Walk on the Wild Side on a Lou site
- Foxy Lady on a Hendrix site
- Muleskinner Blues on a Bill Monroe site
- Bob Marley’s greatest hits, etc.

Then I realized, “Wait! 6 kickass singles within ONE year?”
There's the amazing difference!
Who else has done that? Maybe the Beatles?

So I got myself out of the “Greatest Played-Out Hits” mindframe
and lo & behold, with Gates of Eden on the B-side, LARS,
of course, is a shoe-in!

I mean, try & time-transport yourself to what was happening
in music that year at the time. Dylan blew us away!
Imagine hearing LARS for the first time amongst it all!
Dylan rewrote the scene. Period.



Beatles 1968 was pretty amazing . Hey Jude a side and Revolution B is pretty incredible for starters .

it really was a golden age ,

Author:  Ghost Of Lectricity [ Mon March 19th, 2018, 05:38 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
I enjoy GoE actually, it's just not the best choice

There are no truths outside the Gates Of Eden.
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
At first I just couldn’t vote, because it felt like voting for:
- Free Bird on a Skynyrd site
- Stairway on a Zeppelin site
- Won’t Get Fooled Again on a Who site
- Inna Gadda De Vida on an Iron Butterfly site
- Smoke on the Water on a Deep Purple site
- American Pie on a Don McLean site
- Iron Man on Sabbath site
- Whipping Post on an Allmans site
- Aqualung on a Tull site
- Precious on a Pretenders site
- Because the Night on a Patty Smith site
- Roundabout on a Yes site
- Walk on the Wild Side on a Lou site
- Foxy Lady on a Hendrix site
- Muleskinner Blues on a Bill Monroe site
- Bob Marley’s greatest hits, etc.

Afternoon Delight on a Starland Vocal Band site

Author:  Handsomeinthefog [ Mon March 19th, 2018, 10:52 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

Then I realized, “Wait! 6 kickass singles within ONE year?”
There's the amazing difference!
Who else has done that? Maybe the Beatles?


Well, I don't want to debate the quality of Dylan's 1965 output, but I wouldn't use the singles as a moajor case in point. The fact that the "Highway 61 Revisited" album was released merely four months and one week after "Bringing It All back Home" (and in fact all of these songs were recorded in the space of six months) - THAT's the big selling point for me.

As for the singles: "Times" was an old song by then, lifted off the already released album of the same name. "Subterrean Homesick Blues" was released a week before the "Bringing It All Back Home" album, so by the time it hit the charts, people/fans already had the album. "Maggie's" in turn was only released way after the album was out. Again, not talking about quality here, just about impact. "Gates" was NOT a b-side. It was lifted off the already released "Bringing It All Back Home" album as its third single. In fact, on my (French pressing) of the single, there is no a or b side indicated at all and both songs appear side by side in the same font on both the front and the fact cover. It'd consider it a double a-side (remember those?).

"Like A Rolling Stone" and "Positively 4th Street" are arguably the two best Dylan songs ever and it's amazing that they came out so close to each other. But to be totally honest, "Crawl" must have felt like a let down - isn't that essentially the third song in a row using the same template? I for one am not surprised that it has been kind of forgotten about outside the diehard fanbase.

As for the Beatles comparison: Dylan's singles mostly were lifted off his albums. The only non-album classics I can think of are "Positively 4th Street" and "Things Have Changed" (and maybe, just maybe "Watching The River Flow")

The Beatles however, had about a dozen hit singles not featured on their regular UK albums (The US versions were put together by their label without their input), mostly with equally stunning non-album b-sides. Same goes for the Rolling Stones. "Satisfaction", "Ruby Tuesday", Jumpin' Jack Flash", Honky Tonk Women" - you name it, all non-album singles (in the UK).

Again, not trying to downplay the quality of Dylan's output, but him being a pop artist per se, Columbia took a different approach with the single releases and I assume they had less impact than the Beatles or Stones singles.

Author:  dvdunplugged [ Mon March 19th, 2018, 17:03 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
As for the Beatles comparison: Dylan's singles mostly were lifted off his albums. The only non-album classics I can think of are "Positively 4th Street" and "Things Have Changed" (and maybe, just maybe "Watching The River Flow")

It's 2018, perhaps now we shouldn't be expecting a whole album of originals but maybe another classic single!

Author:  Handsomeinthefog [ Mon March 19th, 2018, 17:39 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

dvdunplugged wrote:
Handsomeinthefog wrote:
As for the Beatles comparison: Dylan's singles mostly were lifted off his albums. The only non-album classics I can think of are "Positively 4th Street" and "Things Have Changed" (and maybe, just maybe "Watching The River Flow")


It's 2018, perhaps now we shouldn't be expecting a whole album of originals but maybe another classic single!


Seeing that he only does classic non-album singles every 35 years, the next one might be a while away yet? Also, people don't really do singles anymore, they "drop" tracks on Spotify. Not sure if that would really work for the Dylan fanbase.

Author:  smoke [ Tue March 20th, 2018, 00:45 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

Putting Gates of Eden as the flip of Like a Rolling Stone was a brilliant idea. I can't fathom the impact it must have had on thousands of young minds. No wonder he had crazy people following him around the rest of his damn life.

Author:  Ghost Of Lectricity [ Tue March 20th, 2018, 01:29 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: The best Dylan single released in 1965?

smoke wrote:
Putting Gates of Eden as the flip of Like a Rolling Stone was a brilliant idea. I can't fathom the impact it must have had on thousands of young minds. No wonder he had crazy people following him around the rest of his damn life.

Indeed.

The imagery in that song is quite striking.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/