It is currently Wed September 19th, 2018, 13:37 GMT

All times are UTC

New Morning v Street Legal v Infidels
New Morning 22%  22%  [ 15 ]
Street Legal 54%  54%  [ 36 ]
Infidels 24%  24%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 67
PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 09:29 GMT 

Now that's what I call a difficult one to call! All of them have highs and lows but which gets your vote and why?

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 09:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Street-Legal for sure. The hot, frenetic energy and simmering paranoia are ever present in both the vocals and lyrics. By Where Are You Tonight it reaches a climax that he’d been working towards since Blood On The Tracks, creating his best trilogy of albums in the process.

Infidels could put up a decent fight if the better songs that didn’t make the official album were swapped out for the weak tracks.

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 09:54 GMT 

Very tough choice between Street Legal and Infidels (New Morning isn't as worthy of praise as the two others in my opinion).
Street Legal is a marvelous album filled with some of my favorites Dylan tunes and with only one average song (New Pony). The sound Bob created is in some way similar to the Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup (Drug and booze infused with a groovy beat that encapsulates a good part of the 70's rock scene). Sure the production is muddy, but with the recent remaster I think it is still enjoyable. And the live versions are just perfect (almost all the concerts from July to December 1978 are excellent, with my favorite being the one in Columbia, SC). A prelude to the Gospel fever without the overtly christian themes and sermons.

On the other hand, Infidels has better writing and offered us some true masterpieces like Jokerman, Sweetheart Like You, License To Kill, I And I, Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight). Also we have the sessions: Blind Willie McTell, Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart, Foot Of Pride). And the songs evolved much more during the following years with the NET. Definitely a classic.
However that's also a downside. If only Mark Knopfler stayed a little longer for the production of the album, there will be no contest. But, with the inclusion of Neighborhood Bully and Union Sundown (two songs that leave me cold if not flustered by the very average lyrics) instead of Blind Willie McTell and Foot Of Pride, it is disappointing to listen to this album thinking of the greatness it could have become (perhaps his best album since BOTT and better than TOOM).

So I'll have to go with Street Legal, since it is a more cohesive album. Maybe it would be interesting to compare them when they are released as bootleg series in a (hopefully) not so distant future.

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 09:57 GMT 

Infidels, easily.

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 10:48 GMT 

As noted, we can construct a better Infidels, using the outtakes. Same goes for New Morning (with the Another Self Portrait tracks). If something similar could be done for Street-Legal, I'd be very happy. The best tracks from Infidels and S-L ought to swing it, but I have a nostalgic love for New Morning.

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 11:44 GMT 

New Morning knows it is a slight album in his overall canon, but it is a thing of beauty.

Infidels and Street Legal have pretensions of something loftier but both fall short.

New Morning > Infidels > Street Legal for me.

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 12:35 GMT 

Street Legal easy for me. It is uneven for sure but its highs are way higher ...

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 14:38 GMT 

I went for Street Legal but i do love new morning

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 15:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

had to vote Street legal because of Señor
but do love Infidels

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 20:32 GMT 

ditto what the_hurricane posted!

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 20:50 GMT 

Wow a very tough one, but not because of Infidels.

Street-Legal and New Morning are two of my very faves.

PostPosted: Thu March 1st, 2018, 01:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

This would come down to choosing between Infidels and Street Legal. I go with the latter 'cause it has Changing of the Guards which I think I like better than anything on the (as released) Infidels, though Jokerman almost tips it back the other way.

PostPosted: Fri March 2nd, 2018, 10:19 GMT 

Very tough one here, the toughest out of all the polls for me, but decided to go for the understated nature of New Morning but perhaps it would have been a different story had the likes of Blind Willie McTell, Foot Of Pride and Lord Protect My Child had made the final Infidels album.