Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed September 19th, 2018, 06:56 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 02:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

No fair mentioning shows that took place on another continent when you were 3 years old.

I mean the shows where you were like "eh, I saw him last year" or "my boy/girlfriend will be mad if I spend this money I don't have" or even "my band had a gig in a shitty bar that night, which I knew would be miserable and lead us to nothing and I was right" which is why I missed my pick:

from boblinks:

Chicago, Illinois
United Center
October 27, 2001

1.Wait For The Light To Shine (acoustic) (Larry on mandolin) (song by Fred Rose)
2.The Times They Are A-Changin' (acoustic) (Bob on harp)
3.It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (acoustic)
4.Searching For A Soldier's Grave (acoustic) (Larry on mandolin)
(song by Johnnie Wright, Jim Anglin and Jack Anglin)
5.Gotta Serve Somebody
6.Mississippi
7.Tell Me That It Isn't True (Larry on pedal steel)
8.High Water (Larry on banjo)
9.Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (acoustic) (Bob on harp)
10.Visions Of Johanna (acoustic)
11.Masters Of War (acoustic)
12.Summer Days (Tony on standup bass)
13.Sugar Baby (Tony on standup bass)
14.Cold Irons Bound
15.Cat's In The Well
(1st encore)

16.Love Sick
17.Like A Rolling Stone
18.Forever Young (acoustic)
19.Honest With Me
20.Blowin' In The Wind (acoustic)
(2nd encore)

21.All Along The Watchtower
22.Knockin' On Heaven's Door (acoustic)
23.Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 (Larry on steel guitar)

This is said by many to be an astonishing show, and based on the boots and my own experiences with Dylan in the fall (why is that?) I don't doubt it a bit. I've avoided hearing the recording to this day. It still makes me angry.

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 03:31 GMT 

Okay, I was three, but it wasn't on another continent. It was just down the street and across the river, at the Austin Municipal Auditorium. I think that counts. It was September 24, 1965, Dylan's first show with the Hawks--including Levon. I explained to my parents that this was my chance to see history in the making, and that Austin crowds were mellow and hip, so they didn't need to worry about a riot, like in Forest Hills the month before. And they explained to me that my bedtime was 8 o'clock, so forget it, kid. How square can you get? I'm still kicking myself.

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 08:22 GMT 

This intimate club show at The Tivoli in Brisbane. It may not look exciting but in 2014 the second half of this setlist was a huge breath of fresh air. It was a surprise show announced after Dylan had already begun his tour of Australia and I just couldn't justify spending the money on a second Dylan gig within the same week. All reviews and recordings prove it to be one of the standouts of the year. A damn shame I didn't go.

Fortitude Valley, Australia
The Tivoli
August 27, 2014

1. Things Have Changed
2. She Belongs To Me
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
4. Workingman's Blues #2
5. Waiting For You
6. Duquesne Whistle
7. Pay In Blood
8. Tangled Up In Blue
9. Love Sick
(Intermission)
10. High Water (For Charley Patton)
11. Girl From The North Country
12. Cry A While
13. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
14. Lonesome Day Blues
15. Tryin' To Get To Heaven
16. Thunder On The Mountain
17. Ballad Of A Thin Man

(encore)
18. All Along The Watchtower
19. Blowin' In The Wind

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 08:51 GMT 

I would have liked to have attended the London shows in 2003, but lack of finances at the time, plus limited access to ticket sales meant these were a no-no.

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 11:38 GMT 

Probably the Portsmouth '00 shows.
Id been at Rotterdam, Paris and Wembley. Money was tight. Time was tighter. Didn't make the effort ... sigh.

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 11:59 GMT 

My real big miss was going to see him at the Royal Albert Hall in 1966. I was only 16 at the time and didn't really get into him until JWH but I do regret not seeing him perform the wild mercury music!
I went to one of the shows at Wembley in 2000 but regret not going to one of the Portsmouth shows that year. I have the C/C sets of both shows and they are something else. However I did see him in Bournemouth a couple of years later where he gave us an incredible show.
I did the Wembley show in 2003 but missed out on the three club shows as my wife was in hospital having an op.

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 12:49 GMT 

Barcelona 1993 & Escalarre 1998

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 12:59 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
I've missed the fall '13 shows. That's something to regret, I believe.

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 13:09 GMT 

Portsmouth, UK, 2000. The show that features a couple of tracks on 'Live 1961-2000'....

I had only been into Dylan for about three years and had never seen him live. I had a ticket for my first show, the Portsmouth show, figured it would be the only chance I'd have to see him live as he was getting on a bit (haha!)

My girlfriend and I had recently broken up. We got back together just before the gig and she wanted to go away with me on the same date as the Dylan show. To show my commitment to the relationship I missed the Dylan show and went away to Spain with the girlfriend.

A few months later we broke up for good.... I vowed if I ever got a chance to see Dylan again, I wouldn't pass it up for anybody!

I've seen him about 20 times since. Just to make sure.

And one of those shows was the 'Romance In Durango' show at Hammersmith Apollo in 2003, so I don't mind so much that I missed Portsmouth. :D :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 13:22 GMT 

Madison Square Garden, Sept 30 1978.

I was 14 and my friend was 15. He thought it would be a good idea to drop by the liquor store before boarding the train. So we waited outside the liquor store asking grown ups if they would get us some beer. No dice.. so we got to the train station empty handed to find that we missed our train. I was so pissed at my friend... By the time we got into NYC, and to our seats, we had missed the first half hour of the show. I wanted to kill that guy.. I didn't care about drinking before the show, it was his dumb idea.

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 15:12 GMT 

I knocked back a ticket for stirling castle and i was offered a ticket for the barra's that looked fake which i didnt take, i later found out the ticket was genuine. I have seen bob 10 times but still both times not going to them are sickening.

Also just seen the bob site has Stirling castle as being in england, bastards lol

http://bobdylan.com/date/2001-07-13-stirling-castle/

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 15:19 GMT 

RFK 1995 JUNE 25th second night...opening for the Grateful Dead...

I was there the night before & it was glorious...
I could see Jerry Watching Bob from stage left...
Kind of felt like I attended a Bob show with Jerry...

But the second night Jerry came on and played with Dylan during the encore...
and then about a month later Jerry Died...

I was 13 years old and my dad took me & two of my friends...
it just wasn't in the cards to do both nights...i was lucky to be at one....

The next day someone got struck by lightning & Bob & Jerry took a trip with a Phantom Engineer....

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 15:56 GMT 

In 1981 I was 16 and in London with a couple of friends. It was a long time before internet, so I had no information about tours and concerts. And suddenly we saw there were tickets available for the Dylan concert that evening. I was thrilled to go, and was willing to pay the ticket (which was very very expensive for me at that time). My friends said I shouldn't do it, and stupid me, I listened to them. Listening to the Gospel years still remind me of the stupid choice I made.

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 17:58 GMT 

Can I go slightly off the menu for this one? Shortly after I arrived in Columbia, MO for school, I saw a signed poster for a Johnny Cash show from the year before (probably '96). Like the previous poster, this was before I was on the internet, so I didn't know about the show, but I would have gladly made the 3 hour trek to see Johnny. (Just as I had to see Bob a year or so earlier at Stephens College.) I've been a lifelong fan of Johnny, but I never saw him live.

PostPosted: Tue February 27th, 2018, 19:25 GMT 

the_hurricane wrote:
I knocked back a ticket for stirling castle and i was offered a ticket for the barra's that looked fake which i didnt take, i later found out the ticket was genuine. I have seen bob 10 times but still both times not going to them are sickening.

Also just seen the bob site has Stirling castle as being in england, bastards lol

http://bobdylan.com/date/2001-07-13-stirling-castle/

the last bit.... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 16:45 GMT 

I saw the first three shows in London in 1987 and loved them

The fourth night I was outside trying to bluff the touts as they were selling tickets at what seemed crazy prices then (face value was £15 they wanted £25). One guy and me were having a stare off, the ticket was in my hand at one point as I tried to wear him down to save a fiver. I could see he was wilting, the beads of sweat were on his forehead and I tried to hide my desperation, my poker face was winning. I was nearly there.Suddenly a taxi pulled up. A female wrapped in furs jumped out of the taxi. 'do you need a ticket' he said. 'Yes' she replied. '£30' he said. The money changed hands before I could blink. Suddenly the crowd dispersed, the sounds of 'American Girl' by the Heartbreakers leaked from the Arena and I was alone without a tout in sight.
By the time Bob hit the stage I was on the District Line heading home.

....And now how much am I paying to sit in the 6th row in Madrid in a couple of weeks!

PostPosted: Wed February 28th, 2018, 17:12 GMT 

When i was 13 years old in 1965, I didn´t like the music they played in the danish radio, it was danish popmusic,
and i started my personal quest to find MY music, and it was difficult, until one day in July 1966, i was listening to
radio Luxembourg and THAT voice and THOSE word came out in the air, and it knocked me right off of my feets.
I soon found out that he had played in Copenhagen in the first day off May ´66 - I would have loved to have that one
under my belt.
(dare i say it, okay, the song i heard that day was Rainy Day Women no. 12 & 35)

PostPosted: Fri March 2nd, 2018, 15:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

That song must have stood out, to say the least.

stevieblooz wrote:
I saw the first three shows in London in 1987 and loved them

The fourth night I was outside trying to bluff the touts as they were selling tickets at what seemed crazy prices then (face value was £15 they wanted £25). One guy and me were having a stare off, the ticket was in my hand at one point as I tried to wear him down to save a fiver. I could see he was wilting, the beads of sweat were on his forehead and I tried to hide my desperation, my poker face was winning. I was nearly there.Suddenly a taxi pulled up. A female wrapped in furs jumped out of the taxi. 'do you need a ticket' he said. 'Yes' she replied. '£30' he said. The money changed hands before I could blink. Suddenly the crowd dispersed, the sounds of 'American Girl' by the Heartbreakers leaked from the Arena and I was alone without a tout in sight.
By the time Bob hit the stage I was on the District Line heading home.

....And now how much am I paying to sit in the 6th row in Madrid in a couple of weeks!

Great story, amazing what we do, or don't do, over amounts of money that seem insignificant later on.

PostPosted: Fri March 2nd, 2018, 18:35 GMT 

The Earls Court Shows 1981 .I was stupidly put off by the press reviews of Dylans religious Albums at the time. Such a shame as I now see 1981 as the last great Tour where Bob was on his A game vocally