It is currently Sun June 24th, 2018, 20:25 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: New record?
PostPosted: Mon February 19th, 2018, 17:38 GMT 

Any fresh genuine rumours of a new record? Not Frank :D

Post subject: Re: New record?
PostPosted: Mon February 19th, 2018, 18:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Not that I know of, but maybe you want to check any of the other 8,496 already existing new album rumor threads to see if there's any news.

PostPosted: Mon February 19th, 2018, 19:29 GMT 

Haven't seen anything new lately.

User 'Geezerfreak', who based on their posts seems to have a contact in the know, has confirmed Don Was worked with Dylan on something before the 2017 Fall tour. This would have been on par with what Dylan told Mavis Staples, while on tour in 2016, about recording an album "next year" (i.e. 2017) - Mavis said Dylan had given her a song to learn.

I was hoping we would hear some news come down the line either this month or next, anticipating a Spring release.

Has anyone heard anything they can share (e.g. an indication that something new is coming)? Geezerfreak? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon February 19th, 2018, 19:40 GMT 

Aylong1 wrote:
Any fresh genuine rumours of a new record? Not Frank :D

Bob's new album is called 'Right said Frank' :lol:

moab

PostPosted: Mon February 19th, 2018, 21:49 GMT 

Things have been a little too quiet... perhaps a new album is in the works? Calling all insiders, throw us a bone!

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 06:57 GMT 

It's quiet. TOO quiet. Could be a trap...

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 08:16 GMT 

I'd like to think one more offering could be dished up! Time will tell...

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 11:04 GMT 

There's been a lot of rumours and speculation over the past year or so: the eventually deleted twitter post referencing the state bird of Minnesota and Lanois in the same breath, the interviews with Mavis Staples, the filming with John Hillcoat in Dublin, and the most recent Don Was recordings confirmed by the man himself and people close to Dylan's camp, etc.

None of this exactly points to a new album of originals, but it's clear something other than the inevitable '74-'76 Bootleg Series release is on the horizon.

I personally believe something will be announced and released before the next end of year Bootleg Series release.

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 12:12 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Not that I know of, but maybe you want to check any of the other 8,496 already existing new album rumor threads to see if there's any news.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 12:21 GMT 

Though it seems to get missed by lots of people Bob himself said in an interview with Bill Flanaghan when Triplicate was released that this phase was finished with so even if there is another album of covers recorded I think it will be a move away from the last three records. The fact that Mavis said Bob had asked her to learn a song well of course you might think its a cover but the thing is Mavis would probably know most of the traditional music or roots music Bob seems to have a wealth of knowledge about.

I always suspected that the quote from Bob when Triplicate came out " I am finding these great songs to be a tremendous source of inspiration that has led me to one of my most satisfying periods in the studio. I've hit upon new ways to uncover and interpret these songs that are right in line with the best recordings of my own songs, and my band and I really seemed to hit our stride on every level with Triplicate" didnt just relate to recording covers and that maybe it had inspired his own writing, so thats always been why I suspected he had explored these old songs.

Take away any negativity you have towards the last three albums, if you saw Bob on his last European tour did he not seem more inspired? I have to say last years shows that I caught at the London Palladium and Bournemouth were two of my favourites and really strong shows and vocally Bob seemed very engaged, I suspected after those shows that the same engagement might be in his creative process when hes off the road.

If there is a new record its got to be out before the next Bootleg series so theres got to be something announced in the next few months.

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 16:14 GMT 

hopefully been resting that voice too

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 17:33 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
Though it seems to get missed by lots of people Bob himself said in an interview with Bill Flanaghan when Triplicate was released that this phase was finished with so even if there is another album of covers recorded I think it will be a move away from the last three records. The fact that Mavis said Bob had asked her to learn a song well of course you might think its a cover but the thing is Mavis would probably know most of the traditional music or roots music Bob seems to have a wealth of knowledge about.

I always suspected that the quote from Bob when Triplicate came out " I am finding these great songs to be a tremendous source of inspiration that has led me to one of my most satisfying periods in the studio. I've hit upon new ways to uncover and interpret these songs that are right in line with the best recordings of my own songs, and my band and I really seemed to hit our stride on every level with Triplicate" didnt just relate to recording covers and that maybe it had inspired his own writing, so thats always been why I suspected he had explored these old songs.

Take away any negativity you have towards the last three albums, if you saw Bob on his last European tour did he not seem more inspired? I have to say last years shows that I caught at the London Palladium and Bournemouth were two of my favourites and really strong shows and vocally Bob seemed very engaged, I suspected after those shows that the same engagement might be in his creative process when hes off the road.

If there is a new record its got to be out before the next Bootleg series so theres got to be something announced in the next few months.

Thanks for those points. And then there's the Regina McCrary story. She got together with Dylan in the fall and worked on a new song entitled 'Don't Make Her Cry' which according to Regina at the time had not yet been recorded.

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 18:08 GMT 

Re: New record? I sincerely hope so, but quite Frankly if it was another edition of stuff from the Great American Songbook, I'd say bring BS 14 forward whatever it is? I wonder if Sony will ever tie up with the makers of Theme Time Radio Hour and get some of the best bits, INCLUDING BOB'S INTROS, ETC, released on CD. If anyone filmed him in action in the studio that would also make good viewing.
I've seen lots of compilations of the records he played but although they have Dylan's photo on the cover none of his commentary is included. That's a shame!

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 18:19 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:

I was at the shows you mentioned last year + Paris and Wembley. I did enjoy the shows but I'm afraid that by the time of Wembley (which started off pretty strongly) I'd really had enough of the songbook stuff. OK, the songs may have inspired him but personally I prefer to see those songs performed by Tony Bennett or the like. I enjoyed Shadows, it was a lovely tribute to Sinatra, but enough is enough. If he could still produce something as good and original as Tempest surely there's more to come - especially after a six year drought.

PostPosted: Tue February 20th, 2018, 20:53 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Re: New record? I sincerely hope so, but quite Frankly if it was another edition of stuff from the Great American Songbook, I'd say bring BS 14 forward whatever it is? I wonder if Sony will ever tie up with the makers of Theme Time Radio Hour and get some of the best bits, INCLUDING BOB'S INTROS, ETC, released on CD. If anyone filmed him in action in the studio that would also make good viewing.
I've seen lots of compilations of the records he played but although they have Dylan's photo on the cover none of his commentary is included. That's a shame!

They're all available online, and downloadable, at:

http://www.themetimeradio.com/

And there was no 'studio'. He recorded his links wherever he happened to be (at home, in hotels, etc.), and the producers assembled it all, with the songs, later.

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 04:42 GMT 

I'll never understand why people want Bootleg Series releases or otherwise official releases of material we already have in great quality.

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 04:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

gerardv wrote:
Desolation Row wrote:

Thanks for those points. And then there's the Regina McCrary story. She got together with Dylan in the fall and worked on a new song entitled 'Don't Make Her Cry' which according to Regina at the time had not yet been recorded.

So will it be a duets album, but maybe one with an unusual cast of characters compared to the usual rock icon lineup? Frankly, the concept of a duets album makes me shiver with horror (just because they are usually a sign of exhausted creativity and/or a desperate need for sales) but the idea of Dylan writing songs with specific singers in mind is an intriguing one, even or especially if they're conceived from the start with sections he would sing.

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 09:02 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Desolation Row wrote:

I was at the shows you mentioned last year + Paris and Wembley. I did enjoy the shows but I'm afraid that by the time of Wembley (which started off pretty strongly) I'd really had enough of the songbook stuff. OK, the songs may have inspired him but personally I prefer to see those songs performed by Tony Bennett or the like. I enjoyed Shadows, it was a lovely tribute to Sinatra, but enough is enough. If he could still produce something as good and original as Tempest surely there's more to come - especially after a six year drought.

My point wasnt about Shadows or any of the American Songbook because thats always going to divide people ... my point was I felt that his performance of his own songs was a huge step upwards that looking at other peoples songs had refreshed his performance of his own.

If we go back to Modern Times he then followed it up with Together Through Life which is for me probably the worse of all the records since Time out of Mind for me, but TTL is still better than Under the red sky IMO. At that stage of his career well he could have recorded two or three albums of a standard of Together Through Life rather than hitting us with Tempest.

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 09:07 GMT 

So will it be a duets album, but maybe one with an unusual cast of characters compared to the usual rock icon lineup? Frankly, the concept of a duets album makes me shiver with horror (just because they are usually a sign of exhausted creativity and/or a desperate need for sales) but the idea of Dylan writing songs with specific singers in mind is an intriguing one, even or especially if they're conceived from the start with sections he would sing.[/quote]

Id have to agree with you that a duets album does hint at creative exhaustion, but people said that of him reaching for the American Songbook and I felt that he did something different and took risks doing it too, to go from a songwriter to interpreting other peoples songs was always going to challenge your fanbase. There was the same reaction to the two acoustic albums.

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 23:04 GMT 

mystic garden wrote:
There's been a lot of rumours and speculation over the past year or so: the eventually deleted twitter post referencing the state bird of Minnesota and Lanois in the same breath, the interviews with Mavis Staples, the filming with John Hillcoat in Dublin, and the most recent Don Was recordings confirmed by the man himself and people close to Dylan's camp, etc.

None of this exactly points to a new album of originals, but it's clear something other than the inevitable '74-'76 Bootleg Series release is on the horizon.

I personally believe something will be announced and released before the next end of year Bootleg Series release.

As far as I know there is no confirmation that Dylan and Don Was did record anything last year. Don Was said he did "something" with Dylan. That's why I still believe that a 2017 live album might be released in the spring of this year and that Don Was' "something" means that he mixed the record (he also mixed the successful "Unplugged" album). In that case the Dublin filming sessions would have taken place to generate visual material for promotion of the live album.

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 23:18 GMT 

smoke wrote:
So will it be a duets album, but maybe one with an unusual cast of characters compared to the usual rock icon lineup? Frankly, the concept of a duets album makes me shiver with horror (just because they are usually a sign of exhausted creativity and/or a desperate need for sales) but the idea of Dylan writing songs with specific singers in mind is an intriguing one, even or especially if they're conceived from the start with sections he would sing.

A duets album like Jerry Lee Lewis' "Last Man Standing" (2006) and "Mean Old Man" (2010) would truly be "the horror" [in fairness to the Killer, Jerry Lee Lewis' "Rock & Roll Time" from 2014, a regular studio album, is a masterpiece], but a Dylan gospel album with additional singers like Mavis Staples and Regina McCrary in a role similar to that of Clydie King or Madelyn Quebec in the past would be most welcome. But so far there is no confirmation that any new studio album has been recorded.

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 23:34 GMT 

I see the following possibilities:

A) no release in the spring, BS 14 (1975/76) in the fall
B) gospel album in the spring, BS 14 (1975/76) in the fall
C) live album in the spring, BS 14 (1975/76) in the fall
D) studio album of new originals in the fall, BS 14 (1975/76) in 2019

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 23:42 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:

I largely agree, but New Originals & Gospel are not mutually exclusive.
From what McCrary as well as Staples have recently intimated, it seems that
their recent songs with Dylan were originals. Very possibly the album could
be a combination of originals & some traditional stuff.

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 23:48 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:

Pure conjecture, but I like it!

PostPosted: Thu February 22nd, 2018, 00:51 GMT 

The McCrary Sisters are incredible! I had the pleasure of working with them once.
If you are on Facebook, you can follow them here: https://www.facebook.com/mccrarysisters/