Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 15th, 2018, 15:34 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 07:46 GMT 

Hi guys,

I'm currently reading "Cohen on Cohen", a collection of interviews with said songwriter. It's a beautiful and well edited book and well worth the price. And it looks like editor Jeff Burger is now also about to release a collection of interviews with Bob Dylan:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dylan-Intervie ... n+on+dylan
http://www.chicagoreviewpress.com/dylan ... page_id=21

Quote:
A history of this notoriously elusive artist and recent Nobel Prize winner, in his own words
In a 1969 conversation with Rolling Stone editor Jann Wenner, Dylan proclaims, "I don't give interviews." But in truth, Dylan has given numerous press conferences, spoken at length with print publications large and small and with broadcast media around the world and even answered listeners' questions on call-in radio shows. Dylan can be as evasive and abstruse as he is witty; he can be cranky and sarcastic. But in the right moments, he offers candid, revealing commentary about his groundbreaking music and creative process. Those conversations reveal glimpses into the mind of one of the most important performers and songwriters of the last hundred years. Dylan on Dylan is an authoritative, chronologically arranged anthology of interviews, speeches and press conferences, as well as excerpts from nearly a hundred additional Q&As spanning Dylan's entire career—from 1961 through 2016. The majority have not been previously available in print. The material comes from renowned publications like Rolling Stone and from obscure periodicals like Minnesota Daily, a student newspaper at Dylan's alma mater. Interviewers include some of the top writers of our time, such as Jonathan Lethem, Douglas Brinkley, and Mikal Gilmore, as well as musicians like Pete Seeger and Happy Traum. Introductions put each piece in context and, in many cases, include the interviewer's reminiscences about the encounter.

If the Cohen book is anything to go by, this will be another interesting collection. I already own "Bob Dylan: The Essential Interviews" by Jonathan Scott (not the 2017 edition, an older one) and have no idea whether Burger's book will include much 'new' stuff that hasn't been widely published before. But I surely hope so!

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 13:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bob certainly has the JD Salinger approach to interviews. While not giving much away, he tends to reveal much more. Salinger famously phoned up a reporter one rainy night and said he only had five minutes, only to talk to the guy for over an hour.

It reminds me of when he sought out AARP for Shadows in the Night.