Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon September 24th, 2018, 21:02 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 17:12 GMT 

wormington wrote:
slimtimslide wrote:
I also think Forever Young is an abominably twee and obvious song - I can see its appeal, but it may as well have been written for a Hallmark card and come with a box of chocolates.

As much as I love the song, and therefor it hurts a bit to say this, I agree with you. Not his most complex piece of work.
And the fast version of it should have been left out of the record.
Yep, I get the same reaction. Only one PW track made it onto my personal Best of Dylan compilation, and that's Something There is About You.

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 17:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Been listening to this on repeat for the last 4 hours. Some great songs and the overall mood is kind of smooth and sad.

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 18:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Forever Young succeeds for it's simplicity, it is what is and fortunately doesn't strain for any affectation.

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 20:26 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Forever Young succeeds for it's simplicity, it is what is and fortunately doesn't strain for any affectation.

Yes that's my feeling. I don't think there's a superfluous line in there
or one 'for-the-sake-of-rhyme' phrase.
I always find the last verse powerful, especially as a wish from a
parent to a child. None of the wishes after the second line in verse 1
are circumstantial in nature, but every one centres around our response
to circumstances, whatever they may be.
May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 22:29 GMT 

This thread pushed me to listen to Planet Waves again. It had been too long. "Tough Mama" is incredible. The interplay between guitar, voice, organ is just over the top. Anyway. It's a great record. I was surprised to see that it was released in January 1974. Blood on the tracks - January 1975. Desire - January 1976. Damn, that's an interesting three years.

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 23:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

shipcomesin wrote:
I was charmed and dismayed by On a Night Like This, Forever Young and Dirge.

I wonder why Dylan, Inc., doesn’t list the lyrics to “On a Night Like This” on their bobdylan.com site?

Is it because they can’t get over the fact that even though A.F. Beddoe taught Bob to
“don't use no green or rotten wood” only a few years earlier, when he covered “Copper Kettle,”
that Bob still insists on throwing not-fully-dried-out logs on his fire so he can “listen to it hiss”?

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 09:26 GMT 

good album its got some great melodies and great singing.The recording sound a little rushed at times. Forever Young could have done with some band harmonies on the chorus for example.It was a shame that Nobody cept you was left off it should have replaced the fast version of forever young.

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 13:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
I wonder why Dylan, Inc., doesn’t list the lyrics to “On a Night Like This” on their bobdylan.com site?

Thank you to the Dylan, Inc. representative who noticed this and
loaded the “On a Night Like This” lyrics recently!

Good to know you're hERe!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 16:44 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:

Cheers!

That's so funny. Shows that people that are on the bobdylan.com site
are fans, which is the way it should be. Or of course, Bob saw it himself
& passed on the tip :)

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 18:06 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
That's so funny. Shows that people that are on the bobdylan.com site
are fans, which is the way it should be. Or of course, Bob saw it himself
& passed on the tip :)

Let's make a test...

Hello bobdylan.com! Do you know who Sam Shepard is?

Hello bobdylan.com!
:shock: :arrow: https://instaud.io/10BW

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 18:35 GMT 

:D An album with many fans, I posted a 'lukewarm' review a couple of year's back.

I had to go into hiding for a couple of months.

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 18:52 GMT 

Cheers![/quote]

Someone may have known who to contact. ;)

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 19:55 GMT 

Leonard wrote:
:D An album with many fans, I posted a 'lukewarm' review a couple of year's back.

Is there a link to your review? I’d be interested in reading it.

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 23:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

Cheers!

PSB wrote:
Someone may have known who to contact. ;)

Good point. It’s excellent if they did.
I probably should’ve said thanks to the representative
and/or the representative of the representative.

PostPosted: Sun February 18th, 2018, 16:40 GMT 

ShotofMercy wrote:
Leonard wrote:

Is there a link to your review? I’d be interested in reading it.

:oops:

Apologies SOM, I was guilty of pretension. It was less of a review and more of a few comments.

Basically I was saying that it's a decent enough album, but one that goes over pretty quickly, and is not often on my CD player.

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 22:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

Here’s a somewhat related article from Rolling Stone archives from around that time zone.

Bob Dylan Goes Back to Columbia Records
Elektra/Asylum/Atlantic cochairman David Geffen is less than pleased with the deal

By Judith Sims - September 12, 1974
LOS ANGELES — David Geffen, cochairman of Electra/Asylum/Atlantic, who signed Bob Dylan for two albums this year (Planet Waves and the live tour album, Before the Flood) summed up Dylan's return to Columbia Records: "Bob Dylan has made a decision to bet on his past. I was more interested in his future.

"The tour I put together sold a huge amount of records for him. Every time he did a concert he sold his catalog. He has a lot of stuff in the vault that's about to come out, but with this deal, ownership of his masters reverts to him at the end of five years. Also, he gets a retroactive raise on his past records. What I did was make it possible for him to get back his masters from Columbia. He should thank me. At the time he went with me, they weren't that interested in him."

Geffen's statement reflected one current of thought in the industry on why Dylan had returned to Columbia – his label for 11 years: to protect his old tapes. Dylan himself was unavailable, and Irwin Segelstein, Columbia Records president who announced the signing early in August, refused to comment, saying, "The nature of our arrangements is a confidential matter."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... s-19740912

PostPosted: Fri February 23rd, 2018, 00:33 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Here’s a somewhat related article from Rolling Stone archives from around that time zone.

Elektra/Asylum/Atlantic cochairman David Geffen is less than pleased with the deal

LOS ANGELES — David Geffen, cochairman of Electra/Asylum/Atlantic, who signed Bob Dylan for two albums this year (Planet Waves and the live tour album, Before the Flood) summed up Dylan's return to Columbia Records: "Bob Dylan has made a decision to bet on his past. I was more interested in his future.

"The tour I put together sold a huge amount of records for him. Every time he did a concert he sold his catalog. He has a lot of stuff in the vault that's about to come out, but with this deal, ownership of his masters reverts to him at the end of five years. Also, he gets a retroactive raise on his past records. What I did was make it possible for him to get back his masters from Columbia. He should thank me. At the time he went with me, they weren't that interested in him."

Geffen's statement reflected one current of thought in the industry on why Dylan had returned to Columbia – his label for 11 years: to protect his old tapes. Dylan himself was unavailable, and Irwin Segelstein, Columbia Records president who announced the signing early in August, refused to comment, saying, "The nature of our arrangements is a confidential matter."

Rolling Stone never lets me down. It's always crap.
Basically, Geffen contacts Wenner because Geffen needs a place in the media to publically bitch about Bob Dylan. "He should thank me", says Geffen. Geffen claims he is more interested than Dylan in Dylan's future.

PostPosted: Fri February 23rd, 2018, 01:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Geffen was a piece of work.
Probably still is.

PostPosted: Fri February 23rd, 2018, 15:47 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

He made a bet on his past. Good decision in this case. We can't speculate as to what the
impact on his career would have been had he left. May have been considerable, maybe not.

I love these old articles. Recently I read one from RS with oodles of buzz about BOTT several
months before it came out. (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... k-19741121)

PostPosted: Fri February 23rd, 2018, 16:52 GMT 

My Dylan acquisitions started in January 1971 with:
New Morning
Greatest Hits II Jan 72
Self Portrait Feb 73
Pat Garrett Bill the Kid ST July 73
Planet Waves March 74 ?
Before the Flood Jul 74
and all the other albums over the years.

This list is MY Dylan, and I think that it is a listing of some of Dylan's disliked recordings. For me, it represents his best work, and embodies the idea that Bobby Neuwirth conveyed in NO DIRECTION HOME- Bob Dylan made his audience come to him. He did not go to them. Self Portrait represents the future of music - Dylan made all of those standards and country songs and sounds cool, not at first, but they sank in. New Morning celebrated family and the pursuit of happiness. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is The West.

Planet Waves is technically awesome. One of the overlooked aspects of PW is the second faster version of Forever Young. These versions show how performance can alter the mood of lyrics. Something there is about you - "Walking the Hills of old Duluth...." is a great line filled with nostalgia.

Like a Rolling Stone on Before the Flood is the best and angriest version of them all.