Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon June 18th, 2018, 15:54 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 09:17 GMT 

1974-01-06 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Both Shows

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 04:17 GMT 

Chicago January 3, the opening night of the tour, was also memorable. It marked Dylan's return to touring after several years, included the debut of several songs that would soon appear on Planet Waves, and was essentially a folk concert with Dylan remaining onstage and playing guitar during the Band's sets. There's a good audience tape in circulation. I have a reel-to-reel dub off the master which omits the Band's sets, made by the taper. The setlist:

Hero Blues
Lay Lady Lay
Tough Mama
It Ain't Me, Babe
Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
All Along The Watchtower
Ballad Of A Thin Man
I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
The Times They Are A-Changin'
Song To Woody
The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
Nobody 'Cept You
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
Forever Young
Something There Is About You
Like A Rolling Stone
Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)

I got Chicago January 4 from the same taper. Need to transfer these reels to disc and online. There is a second source, an audience stereo tape, which circulates and has been pressed to a discs a couple of times.

I agree that the matinee and evening concerts at Philadelphia on January 6 are memorable. These were the shows recorded by MK of Brooklyn, then of San Diego CA area. The cassettes are old and brittle and need to be transferred to digital if they haven't been already.

Philadelphia January 7 is also a good show. The Band has tightened up with Levon Helm asserting himself as the leader on drums.

Toronto January 9 and 10 are two of the best concerts of the tour. Dylan is awesome.

Montreal January 11 is the last great show of the tour. After that, Levon Helm will pound Dylan's electric sets into dust through February. The only thing to distinguish the rest of the tour will be Dylan's acoustic sets, which were always intense immediate and spontaneous.

But it is a shame that the first week of concerts aren't better known.

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 11:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

Richard--W wrote:
But it is a shame that the first week of concerts aren't better known.

Good points. And apparently Planet Waves was supposed to have been released at the start of the tour and was delayed by the title change. I wonder if Ceremonies of the Horsemen had come out prior to, if they would’ve played anything off it? I haven’t closely studied the 74 set lists. Apparently they pulled back on the new stuff as the tour went on?

Thanks for sharing the above list & your thoughts Richard.
A fine set list on paper. Looks worth seeking out.

PostPosted: Wed February 14th, 2018, 16:20 GMT 

Another grey area album on Amazon...

This title will be released on March 30, 2018. 

Description

For Dylan s first proper tour since 1966, he was joined by his longstanding colleagues The Band. Expectations for both acts ran high, with huge venues swiftly selling out and immense media interest. It was no nostalgia act, though: whilst Dylan performed old material, he did so with considerable attack, as well as showcasing songs from his new Planet Waves LP. The Band also played alone, showing themselves to be arguably the finest group of their sort in the world. This release offers two historic shows from the early part of the tour, both originally broadcast on FM radio. They are presented here together with background notes and images.DISC ONE Bob Dylan & The Band, Boston Garden, MA. January 14th 1974 (WBCN-FM) Bob Dylan: 1. Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35 2. Lay Lady Lay 3. Just Like Tom Thumb s Blues 4. It Ain t Me Babe 5. I Don t Believe You 6. Ballad Of A Thin Man The Band: 7. Stage Fright 8. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down 9. King Harvest Bob Dylan & The Band: 10. This Wheel s On Fire Bob Dylan: 11. I Shall Be Released The Band: 12. Up On Cripple Creek Bob Dylan: 13. All Along The Watchtower 14. Ballad Of Hollis Brown 15. Knockin On Heaven s Door 16. The Times They Are A-Changin 17. Don t Think Twice, It s All Right 18. Gates Of Eden 19. Just Like A Woman 20. It s Alright, Ma DISC TWO Bob Dylan & The Band, Madison Square Garden, NY, January 31st 1974 (WNEW-FM) Bob Dylan: 1. Most Likely You Go Your Way and I ll Go Mine 2. Lay Lady Lay 3. Just Like Tom Thumb s Blues 4. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 5. It Ain t Me, Babe 6. Ballad Of A Thin Man The Band: 7. Stage Fright 8. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down 9. King Harvest (Has Surely Come) 10. When You Awake 11. Up On Cripple Creek Bob Dylan & The Band: 12. All Along The Watchtower 13. Ballad Of Hollis Brown 14. Knockin On Heaven s Door DISC THREE Bob Dylan & The Band, Madison Square Garden, NY, January 31st 1974 (WNEW-FM) Bob Dylan (Acoustic): 1. The Times They Are A-Changin 2. Don t Think Twice, It s All Right 3. Gates Of Eden 4. Just Like A Woman 5. It s Alright, Ma (I m Only Bleeding) The Band: 6. Rag Mama Rag 7. This Wheel s On Fire 8. The Shape I m In 9. The Weight Bob Dylan & The Band: 10. Forever Young 11. Highway 61 Revisited 12. Like A Rolling Stone Encores: Bob Dylan & The Band: 13. Most Likely You Go Your Way And I ll Go Mine 14. Blowin In The Wind

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180214/0ea334b7e5aac6b572e01b0ed65ab162.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 01:24 GMT 

One from early tour:
Maple Leaf Gardens
Toronto, January 10 (As I Went Out One Evening)

And from late:
Alameda County Coliseum
Oakland, February 11, evening (Oakland Flood)

My favourite tour, by far, and I think is the most "well accepted" for non fans of Dylan. Wonder why is generally not rated by Dylan fans.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 13:28 GMT 

Its got to be one of the early shows I would love both shows from Toronto (9th and 10th jan)
The 10th while including the only performance of As I went Out This Morning also has in my opinion the finest
live Ballad Of A Thin Man.Bobs in great voice really expressive.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 13:32 GMT 

I would pick Chicago January 3 with "Hero Blues" and "Song to Woody" and Toronto January 10 with "As I Went Out One Morning."

But I'd really like a box-set of the first 9 concerts of the tour.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 13:45 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Another grey area album on Amazon...

This title will be released on March 30, 2018. 

Description

For Dylan s first proper tour since 1966, he was joined by his longstanding colleagues The Band. Expectations for both acts ran high, with huge venues swiftly selling out and immense media interest. It was no nostalgia act, though: whilst Dylan performed old material, he did so with considerable attack, as well as showcasing songs from his new Planet Waves LP. The Band also played alone, showing themselves to be arguably the finest group of their sort in the world. This release offers two historic shows from the early part of the tour, both originally broadcast on FM radio. They are presented here together with background notes and images.DISC ONE Bob Dylan & The Band, Boston Garden, MA. January 14th 1974 (WBCN-FM) Bob Dylan: 1. Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35 2. Lay Lady Lay 3. Just Like Tom Thumb s Blues 4. It Ain t Me Babe 5. I Don t Believe You 6. Ballad Of A Thin Man The Band: 7. Stage Fright 8. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down 9. King Harvest Bob Dylan & The Band: 10. This Wheel s On Fire Bob Dylan: 11. I Shall Be Released The Band: 12. Up On Cripple Creek Bob Dylan: 13. All Along The Watchtower 14. Ballad Of Hollis Brown 15. Knockin On Heaven s Door 16. The Times They Are A-Changin 17. Don t Think Twice, It s All Right 18. Gates Of Eden 19. Just Like A Woman 20. It s Alright, Ma DISC TWO Bob Dylan & The Band, Madison Square Garden, NY, January 31st 1974 (WNEW-FM) Bob Dylan: 1. Most Likely You Go Your Way and I ll Go Mine 2. Lay Lady Lay 3. Just Like Tom Thumb s Blues 4. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 5. It Ain t Me, Babe 6. Ballad Of A Thin Man The Band: 7. Stage Fright 8. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down 9. King Harvest (Has Surely Come) 10. When You Awake 11. Up On Cripple Creek Bob Dylan & The Band: 12. All Along The Watchtower 13. Ballad Of Hollis Brown 14. Knockin On Heaven s Door DISC THREE Bob Dylan & The Band, Madison Square Garden, NY, January 31st 1974 (WNEW-FM) Bob Dylan (Acoustic): 1. The Times They Are A-Changin 2. Don t Think Twice, It s All Right 3. Gates Of Eden 4. Just Like A Woman 5. It s Alright, Ma (I m Only Bleeding) The Band: 6. Rag Mama Rag 7. This Wheel s On Fire 8. The Shape I m In 9. The Weight Bob Dylan & The Band: 10. Forever Young 11. Highway 61 Revisited 12. Like A Rolling Stone Encores: Bob Dylan & The Band: 13. Most Likely You Go Your Way And I ll Go Mine 14. Blowin In The Wind

Thanks for the heads-up on this release.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 17:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

Richard--W wrote:
I would pick Chicago January 3 with "Hero Blues" and "Song to Woody" and Toronto January 10 with "As I Went Out One Morning."

But I'd really like a box-set of the first 9 concerts of the tour.

I'll take any of those options.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 18:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think the most likely option is a '66 style compete box.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 23:30 GMT 

BEFORE THE FLOOD suffices in my book. I've listened to the bootlegged stuff and eh. If they did a 1974 BS entry before a BLOOD ON THE TRACKS one I would cry. I don't even think that's hyperbole. I would break down in tears and stop eating. I might die again. I already died once when they released the Gospel stuff ahead of BLOOD ON THE TRACKS box.

However, I would be cool with a 1974/Blood kind of box! Just don't think 1974 deserves a Bootleg Series entry on its own. I'm a Debbie Downer, I know.

PostPosted: Thu February 15th, 2018, 23:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

^I disagree. I'd much rather see a standalone '74 Tour release than trying to lump it in with the Blood on the Tracks material, which is superior in every way and wouldn't really gel with the '74 live stuff.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 00:15 GMT 

I love the 74 tour. The problem with Before the Flood is that it's missing so many great songs that he was doing on the tour. I want a bootleg release containing one of every song, best performance and sound quality.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 00:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

Before The Flood’s other problem is that most of the songs on it were taken from dates late in the tour when his singing was much worse than the earlier dates.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 01:31 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
^I disagree. I'd much rather see a standalone '74 Tour release than trying to lump it in with the Blood on the Tracks material, which is superior in every way and wouldn't really gel with the '74 live stuff.

Just listened to ‘74 and ‘75 live shows today. RTR is vastly superior and even though it already had its own Bootleg entry it deserves more attention. I like Before the Flood and some other stuff from that tour, but would rather see that explored down the line.

Bunching everything together would be weird, but I wouldn’t be totally opposed. It would just be a bit much, I heard at one point they were considering doing a ‘74-‘78 set.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 04:40 GMT 

they should all have the own bootleg series

vol.14 blood on the tracks complete
vol.15 rolling thunder (praying for a better if you see her say hello)
vol.16 1974 tour

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 04:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

^Agreed. Or in a mega-box like the Live '66 stuff with every date over a certain tour included.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 11:23 GMT 

^Agreed. Or in a mega-box like the Live '66 stuff with every date over a certain tour included.

interesting to see how they will do the 74 tour as, the 66 set was mostly soundboard where as 74 has a fair bit more audience recordings?

as for the rolling thunder i feel if there was soundboard recordings at various times both in 75 & 76, why wouldn't most of the tour been recorded, i dont know just a gut feeling

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 18:49 GMT 

Fair, fair. If we're not combining them -- and you're probably right that we shouldn't -- then I don't think 1974 really deserves a BS entry in the near future. Down the road, perhaps.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 19:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'd be interested in a release of more 1974 live material I'll just say that. Don't know enough about the tour or the individual shows to make any suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 20:11 GMT 

I want the Dylan organization to finish the 1960s before moving on the 1970s.

LIVE 1965, a low-grade mp3 download given to purchasers of THE CUTTING EDGE 1965-66 big blue box, should be revised for a hard media release as soon as possible. So many creative breakthroughs and brilliant performances that year. 1965 was a year of experimentation and growth and the chronology of concerts documents the progress of the artist and the arc of his art. Dylan's concerts this year did more to usher in social change than the previous tours or the later tours. More than THE LIVE 1966 RECORDINGS did. I don't care if they release LIVE 1965 as part of The Bootleg Series or Columbia Legacy Series or simply on its own, it's time to drop the other shoe.

The Bootleg Series could issue a collection of Dylan's home recordings, a collection of his night club concerts, a collection of his radio and television appearances. There is an abundance of material from the early 1960s. The Bootleg Series could do an entire box-set on 1963 alone. Let's hope they fill in the gaps in the 1960s recordings, when Dylan changed the world, before moving on to his later years.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 20:18 GMT 

The Dylan people need to get on the stick and release EVERYTHING right now. The '74 shows were 44 years ago. Dylan fans are dying left and right. If they stretch this out too long, most of us won't be alive to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 20:23 GMT 

theres a great 10 disc SB set here.... looks like it contains the Amozon release shows...
http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/bob-dylan-1974-soundboard-collection-10cd-wonderland-records-480041.html
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5749/20902119640_7d0afbbd8d.jpg
the links are still live as far as I can see.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri February 16th, 2018, 20:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

Enough of the 60's material, let's get to the good stuff in that Planet Waves to Street-Legal period.

PostPosted: Sat February 17th, 2018, 11:53 GMT 

Anyone know where I can hear that version of "Tough Mama" from the first night? I love that song and would like to hear as many live versions as possible... maybe I should start a thread.