Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun September 23rd, 2018, 13:54 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 00:18 GMT 

Some of the sweetest folk music I've ever heard is the young Bob Dylan trying out different voices and guitar arrangements as he explores traditional ballads on home-made tapes between 1958 and 1961. The kid obviously loves music and needs it to survive. His performances are passionate, committed, discerning. The material is right for him, and he is right for it. At times he seems driven by something larger than himself. There is method in his madness and immense talent in his playing and singing on these early tapes.

There's the John Bucklen tapes, the Kangas tape, the Eve and Mac MacKenzie tapes, the Bonnie Beecher tapes, the Ralph Gleason tape, Karen Wallace's tapes, David Whitaker's tapes, and others. What's become of these early tapes? I know they've been booted in various degrees of bad quality and incompleteness, but what about the original tapes? Have the master tapes been secured somewhere? by somebody? will they ever be officially released in the best possible quality?

I mean, after more than a half century has passed, it's time for the Dylan organization to come to terms with the his old friends and ex-friends who recorded these performances in their living rooms and kitchens. Everybody, make peace with the tapes. There's no reason to hide 'em away anymore. If I were Dylan, I would be immensely proud of them. It's all good, wonderful music.

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 05:03 GMT 

Hopefully one day, Richard.

Covering his early years and arrival in the Greenwich Village coffeehouse scene is an important Bootleg Series release that needs to be done, for both aesthetic and historical reasons.

I hope all the master tapes you listed still exist in good quality and are accessible to Dylan's team for future release. I'm not sure whether anyone here would know the answer to your questions in relation to this, but there are many here that are more resourceful than I when it comes to these matters.

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 09:46 GMT 
Mercury Member

Unless there is more recent news, the last anyone heard of Karen Wallace she was asking more than Sony were willing to pay, and said she would rather burn the tapes that lower the price. Some people blame the 'armpit' recorders for her hardline stance, as she definitely felt ripped off by their actions. Is she still alive?

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 10:32 GMT 

Remember me when the candle lights are gleaming
remember me at the close of a long long day..............

shame he didn't put that on the first album, would have leavened the mix a bit.

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 14:57 GMT 

except for the one dubbed 'the armpit tape' (I forget which one that is)....go to sugarmegs-link below...

scroll the bobdylan (starting with letter B) and you will find most if not all that you are looking for....and if not there...figure out how to find on youtube (using any of Dylan's aliases throughout the years)

bottom line...if you look you will find...enjoy!

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/alpha/b.html

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 15:04 GMT 

my bad....not sure if the ones on sugarmegs are upgrades....

btw - as you will discover....decent amount of live shows up there

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 18:28 GMT 

The Karen Wallace Armpit tape stinks. :mrgreen:

It's a teaser of something that should be preserved. Whoever has control over it should put it up for auction. Hopefully the tapes are in good condition. If they were stored where it's warm and moist, then they are probably ruined. That's what happened to bunch of my old reel-to-reel tapes.

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 21:27 GMT 

I would love to hear the complete Karen Wallace tape. The sample tape made by Karen Wallace indicates just how great the recording is. I truly hope the Dylan organization will come to an agreement with Karen Wallace (if they haven't already) and the tape will be released. Would be cool to have as a vinyl-only Record Store Day type of release.

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 22:09 GMT 

For those who don't know, the MacKenzie masters are excellent quality recordings, with Dylan performing in the room to a microphone to a reel-to-reel.

What we hear is a copy cassette, recorded on a cheap Sony cassette recorder with a built-in condenser mic (a toy, essentially) hidden under the coat of a spy-groupie sitting in the MacKenzie's living room listening to the reels being played over the stereo system. It's not funny when somebody pulls these stunts and then brags about it afterward. It destroys trust and good will, and makes the owners of the tapes feel as if the relationship they had with Bob Dylan is being trivialized.

The exact same circumstances apply to the Karen Wallace tape. Only she was lied to by the groupie-spy who met with her under promise that he had come to verify the authenticity of her tapes on behalf of Dylan himself who wanted to buy them. Again, her master tapes have excellent sound, recorded with Dylan's participation, microphone to a reel-to-reel.

I was in a group of concert-goers who crossed trails with the spy-groupie about 35 years ago. He showed us the Sony cassette recorder with the built-in condenser mic, showed the actual cassettes, and bragged about how he did it a couple of years before. He said that if Wallace had brought the actual master reels instead of a sampler she'd made he would have taken it by force. He thought Dylan was a profit, but was freaking out over Dylan's conversion to Christianity. I was glad to get rid of him.

Last edited by Richard--W on Tue February 13th, 2018, 22:31 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue February 13th, 2018, 22:27 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
The Karen Wallace Armpit tape stinks. :mrgreen:

It's a teaser of something that should be preserved. Whoever has control over it should put it up for auction. Hopefully the tapes are in good condition. If they were stored where it's warm and moist, then they are probably ruined. That's what happened to bunch of my old reel-to-reel tapes.

yes yes if whoever has control of these tapes and if you’re reading this...please do not store them in your armpit...:: Thank you