Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed August 22nd, 2018, 07:26 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 02:00 GMT 

Early in The Beatles' Get Back (aka: Let It Be) sessions, on January 6th, 1969, George Harrison did an impromptu wah-wah accompanied performance of a tune called "Maureen". He said it was a Bob Dylan song. Now, George did several off-the-cuff Dylan songs in January 1969 at these Beatles' sessions (such as 'I Threw It All Away' and 'I Shall Be Released' among others) and he'd just been in the USA visiting Dylan before Christmas '68, so it's certainly possible, or even likely, that it was a Bob composition.

On the other hand, it's been raised by more than one writer that it could have been a Harrison-song. George says on the tapes that the song could be good for Ringo to do, presumably because Maureen Cox was Ringo's wife. Now, about 4 years after this, George and Maureen had an illicit tryst -- which Ringo and Pattie Boyd found out about --, which might suggest that George had had a thing for Maureen even way back in 1968/69. Hence the supposition that he could have written the tune himself. In addition, as far as I know, there is no evidence from the Dylan-side of him ever having written such a song (which doesn't mean he didn't, and the song does sound of a piece with Bob's stuff in that period, at least to me).

It's easy to find the George run-through on YouTube. Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lizb37tRW6s

Anyone know any more about this?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 07:19 GMT 

He mentions Dylan at the beginning of the clip, and at some point he says something like "sing it for Bob", or possibly "thinking for Bob". My guess is that he'd played it TO Dylan at their previous meeting. It certainly sounds like a George song, rather than a Dylan one.

PostPosted: Mon April 30th, 2018, 08:22 GMT 

Then again, in the song "Married to my Hack" (as resurrected on "The New Basement Tapes"), Dylan did write the lyric "Maureen and Billy, they're a little silly", so who knows?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 1st, 2018, 22:29 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
He mentions Dylan at the beginning of the clip, and at some point he says something like "sing it for Bob", or possibly "thinking for Bob".

I thought so, too, but two different "Beatle-experts" I've seen in print wrote that George claimed it was a Bob Dylan song. Maybe he says so just before or just after the clip as available on YouTube?
mjmooney wrote:
My guess is that he'd played it TO Dylan at their previous meeting. It certainly sounds like a George song, rather than a Dylan one.

I thought the opposite. It reminds me of 'Wallflower' or something like that. Then again, George was writing almost entirely Band/Dylan-inspired songs in 1969-70 so the authorship could easily be confused.

PostPosted: Wed May 2nd, 2018, 06:33 GMT 

It would certainly have made a good Travelling Wilburys number.

PostPosted: Thu May 3rd, 2018, 05:09 GMT 

It sounds like he says at the beginning "There's one Dylan wrote, and it goes like this."

I always wondered if it was a bit of a joke. Like, "hey, I wrote a song about Ringo's wife... let me pretend Bob Dylan wrote it so he won't get suspicious."