Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun December 16th, 2018, 12:24 GMT

All times are UTC

If you could only watch one, which one would it be?
1 Hard Rain Tv Special 82%  82%  [ 64 ]
2 Hard to Handle Dvd 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 78
PostPosted: Wed February 7th, 2018, 12:30 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Hard to Handle by a knockout in the first.

Based on the interest/willingness to listen to them. A couple of times a year (maybe) and Hard Rain will satisfy the interest. Hard to Handle I could probably watch every month and can't seem to get enough.

The same for me. And that It's all right ma is one of the 3 or 5 videos of Dylan I would bring to Mars.

PostPosted: Wed February 7th, 2018, 14:52 GMT 

Dylan In The Heart wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

Based on the interest/willingness to listen to them. A couple of times a year (maybe) and Hard Rain will satisfy the interest. Hard to Handle I could probably watch every month and can't seem to get enough.

The same for me. And that It's all right ma is one of the 3 or 5 videos of Dylan I would bring to Mars.

I don't want to watch or listen neither to HARD RAIN or to HARD TO HANDLE every month.
So I don't know, what I would say, if I had the time and the wish to watch the videos again and again.
Watching them very seldom HARD RAIN was and is without any doubt the much more interesting thing for me
(and btw. Bob as a person appears much more interesting in HARD RAIN. To tell the truth: I don't like neither his outfit nor how the optic of most of his performances in HARD TO HANDLE.
But these impressions are of course a matter of one's personal taste).

PostPosted: Wed February 7th, 2018, 18:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Rolling Thunder Bob vs Mid 80's Bob.

It's not even a contest, and I think you can guess which side of the fence I'm on.

PostPosted: Thu February 8th, 2018, 06:47 GMT 

As I am getting older, I thought I should in all fairness give "Hard to Handle" a fresh hearing (it's been a while).

Hard Rain still wins.

I guess this is the age old problem of Bob fans. At 18 years old in 1995, I heard the Freewheelin' and was blown away. Other fans heard "Jokerman" or "Wiggle Wiggle" and found Bob that way. I am guessing a lot of people have happy memories of the "Hard to Handle" tour/concert and that's also fair enough.

PostPosted: Thu February 8th, 2018, 07:25 GMT 

Hard Rain was the first Bob Dylan album I bought after reading Shelton's No Direction Home - still feels so raw and fresh in my memory and each time I hear it. Seeing the film years later only enhanced my love for that tour. There's something mythical and mysterious about the RTR, Dylan at the absolute zenith of his powers.

On the other hand, Hard to Handle has leather trousers, sleeveless shirts, dangly earrings and 10 years toll on the voice.

Such a tough choice.

PostPosted: Thu February 8th, 2018, 21:51 GMT 

I've never actually seen all of Hard Rain, although I've heard the record many times, and I've certainly seen clips. I'll agree that it's better, and it's certainly more interesting. In other words, the arrangements are totally unique to its time, place, band, etc.

HOWEVER, "Hard to Handle" is pretty great. I'm a big Heartbreakers fan, and we had that show on VHS when I was a kid. It was on heavy rotation, and I can sit down now and watch it anytime. The Heartbreakers are/were (I hate that I have to include the past tense) such a versatile band that they could pretty much nail any of Bob's songs from any era in a solid, straightforward fashion. Like the Beatles, they weren't a jam band, and they weren't improvisers. They were a precise machine that could lay down a tight, studio-level performance on a dime. That's a rare talent, and we shouldn't overlook it. They play the hell out of "In the Garden" and "When the Night Comes Falling."

PostPosted: Thu February 8th, 2018, 22:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

holliswatson wrote:
I've never actually seen all of Hard Rain, although I've heard the record many times, and I've certainly seen clips. I'll agree that it's better, and it's certainly more interesting. In other words, the arrangements are totally unique to its time, place, band, etc.

HOWEVER, "Hard to Handle" is pretty great. I'm a big Heartbreakers fan, and we had that show on VHS when I was a kid. It was on heavy rotation, and I can sit down now and watch it anytime. The Heartbreakers are/were (I hate that I have to include the past tense) such a versatile band that they could pretty much nail any of Bob's songs from any era in a solid, straightforward fashion. Like the Beatles, they weren't a jam band, and they weren't improvisers. They were a precise machine that could lay down a tight, studio-level performance on a dime. That's a rare talent, and we shouldn't overlook it. They play the hell out of "In the Garden" and "When the Night Comes Falling."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUyY27s5L0A&t=2145s

PostPosted: Fri February 9th, 2018, 09:58 GMT 

There are some very good things in Hard to Handle not yet mentioned. Is there a better performance of Heaven's Door? And Lenny Bruce with B Tench hammering on the keyboards.

Obviously as a film Hard Rain takes it by a mile. Something is happening here..... But doesn't it's reputation depend on the performances of Shelter from the Storm and Idiot Wind? For me the quality of the performance as a whole on the Clearwater tape is superior. Consider for example the Dylan/Baez songs, Isis, LARS, Tambourine Man, Times Changing. It's a shame the Clearwater video was not better.

PostPosted: Fri February 9th, 2018, 12:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

tyke wrote:
Obviously as a film Hard Rain takes it by a mile. Something is happening here..... But doesn't it's reputation depend on the performances of Shelter from the Storm and Idiot Wind?

Maybe. The “Hard Rain” show just gets better & better as it goes.
Hard to beat those Shelter & Idiot takes, yes, huge piece of the rep.
And One Too Many. Pity the Poor Immigrant is a nice highlight too.
And the shouting Mozambique, just because.
Enjoyable acoustic duet of the overplayed Blowin too.

Hard Rain by a mile, yes.
Both specials are great and almost incomparable to one another.
Besides the common thread, Bob.
Another reason to love him!

PostPosted: Fri February 9th, 2018, 18:34 GMT 

Hard Rain, like Live 66, represents the creative peak - certainly in terms of live performance - of a stage in his career; the peak was so high he had no choice but to retreat from performance after it in both instances. (Although sobering up in both instances was necessary for his survival, in all likelihood.)

The ten-year pattern would not be repeated, however. Hard To Handle is creative drudgery, part of the long slide into insignificance that continued with that damn film with 'Fiona' and the Dead tour and another one with Petty and...oh god it was awful. Dylan was drinking brandy for breakfast. It must have hurt.

PostPosted: Fri February 9th, 2018, 19:14 GMT 

Dylan In The Heart wrote:
Untrodden Path wrote:

I'm not sure how the Martians would feel about that. They'd be polite, of course--you know how Martians are--but I can't see Bob Dylan videos as quite their cup of tea.

PostPosted: Fri February 9th, 2018, 19:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Martians are more into Donovan, I hear.