Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon August 20th, 2018, 12:26 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 23:19 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Since we are all just guessing, I will make my guess that Bob is not going to release a live NET album from 2017.

It just doesn’t feel like what Bob is about now. There hasn’t been a NET live album yet and I don’t see why Tour 2017 would change that.

Does Bob have another original album in him? I lean toward a gospel type album in some kind of traditional type of groove.

As long as Bob is breathing I think he will be creating some kind of music.

I'd agree with that. Dylan at 76 is not much interested in anything else. Women are not a priority for him any more. It's twenty years since he declared he couldn't tell a real blonde from a fake! So, that narrows it down. What else is there?

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 23:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

Mickvet wrote:
Dylan at 76 is not much interested in anything else. Women are not a priority for him any more.

Doubtful.

PostPosted: Sun January 28th, 2018, 23:54 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Mickvet wrote:
Dylan at 76 is not much interested in anything else. Women are not a priority for him any more.

Doubtful.

The most likely reason that he can't tell a real blonde from a fake is that he doesn't investigate such regions any more. When was the last time we heard even a ghost of a rumour about Dylan and a woman? He's good at keeping things under wraps, but I don't think there's enough going on to provide classic romantic material for an album. At Dylan's age, the most alluring line he might be able to conjure could be 'Honey, would you like to change my diaper'.

On the other hand, he's been singing directly and indirectly about his God for about forty years. Now that he's increasingly likely to be about to meet him, I'd say it's good odds that he's going to continue in that vein.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 01:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Mickvet wrote:
At Dylan's age, the most alluring line he might be able to conjure could be 'Honey, would you like to change my diaper'.

I think you’re not even close to the right ballpark on that one.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 02:05 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Mickvet wrote:
At Dylan's age, the most alluring line he might be able to conjure could be 'Honey, would you like to change my diaper'.

I think you’re not even close to the right ballpark on that one.

We're talking about a man in his seventy-seventh year. And you still think he spends a lot of his time hookin' up with women? And I'm not even close..? Right...

Let's ignore the fact that most of his contemporaries, even many of those a good bit younger, are dead or in nursing homes or otherwise enfeebled, Bob is immortal?

This is a bit like those who wish that he make albums like he did back in the sixties. Bob Dylan is a very old man. He may not live much longer-I hope he does, but he may not. The last concert I'd seen him at, in Dublin last May, I thought there was a big physical decline since my previous one in 2014. He hardly moved from the same spot all night.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 02:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Everyone’s different and ages in different ways. Who knows about this subject. Certainly not any of us here.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 03:42 GMT 

Geezerfreak wrote:
Todd1973 wrote:
Don Was was interviewed for the WTF podcast today. It is a really cool interview with some good stuff about his upbringing in Detroit... and he shares how he thinks he x up producing Dylan.

He also mysteriously says he recently worked with Dylan on something but can't talk about it.

here is the link to the podcast: http://www.wtfpod.com/

'Tis true, before the fall tour started.

My first thought that comes to mind is an article published last Fall about Dylan holding a secret 4-day rehearsal in Riverside (~October 24):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pe.com ... ew-it/amp/

Hoping a new studio album of originals is in the works, this - along with Geezerfreak's reputable statement - make a significant pair of information considering the songs of Tempest were rehearsed during the 2011 tour.

Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 09:11 GMT 

I suspect the Riverside time really was just for rehearsals since the Fall tour featured the biggest overhaul of arrangements in years.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 13:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

Mickvet: With all due respect, in my humble opinion, your talk about diaper changes & nursing homes seems baseless beyond the fact that, yes, people do age. I tire when folks dwell on Dylan is finished. It’s been going on for decades.

I saw our boy a few times this past year and
he looked great and put on an amazing show.
That’s a fact.

It’s almost like people want to emphasize he’s over
so when the time comes they can say I told you so.

Anyways, back to the thread.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 14:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

According to legend old people like sex, too. It just isn't in the same quantity and the thought of it makes young people say "ewww".

Not sure what that had to do with the topic at hand, though.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 14:15 GMT 

smoke wrote:
According to legend old people like sex, too. It just isn't in the same quantity and the thought of it makes young people say "ewww".

Not sure what that had to do with the topic at hand, though.

In the US, the highest new rates of sexually transmitted diseases are in nursing homes due to all the random unprotected sex that the old folks are having.

Anyway...back to the thread.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 16:07 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Yes, back to the thread topic everyone, please.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 16:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

So we spent 2017 guessing at an album with Lanois.

Now we will spend 2018 talking about a Was album. Come on Bob, give us something!!

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 17:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

... and a few years back, anticipating an album produced by Zappa. Or one recorded with Ron Wood - I'm surprised the bootleg-series hasn't made people realize "Hey, this guy doesn't release everything he records".

'Working on a project I can't discuss' does not equate to 'new studio album of original material coming soon, produced by Don Was'

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 17:28 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
... and a few years back, anticipating an album produced by Zappa. Or one recorded with Ron Wood - I'm surprised the bootleg-series hasn't made people realize "Hey, this guy doesn't release everything he records".

'Working on a project I can't discuss' does not equate to 'new studio album of original material coming soon, produced by Don Was'

Do you have to be such a downer? We want to believe it's happening, NOW.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 17:40 GMT 

Maybe Don Was has been working on a new Super Bowl commercial with Bob.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 18:17 GMT 

Apple hired Bob again to appear in yet another commercial. They are relaunching Apple Maps for use on Apple products only, so that your iPhone can give you directions to the nearest bathroom at the airport in Bob Dylan mode (he'll guide you with his voice). It is to be premiered during SuperBowl LII. Bob is rumoured to play the bathroom butler and is handing out towels to airport patrons. The most fascinating part of the commercial is where Bob is standing. He is next to a sign that says Wahine.

Last edited by dylanswife on Mon January 29th, 2018, 18:21 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 18:19 GMT 
Mercury Member

savemenow wrote:
slimtimslide wrote:

Do you have to be such a downer? We want to believe it's happening, NOW.

:wink: Sorry; I know something is happening, but I don't know what it is.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 19:40 GMT 

Lots of classical composers have gone on composing good music into their 70s and 80s e.g Richard Strauss. Can't think of singer-songwriters that have composed at that age, but that it is kind of uncharted territory?

All depends on health and given that Dylan is healthy enough to tour around the world still, can sit at a piano, singing for up fo 2 hours in front if 1,000s, arrange, rehearse, plan tours etc. And his Band very much give the impression that Dylan is the boss. So I think he is very much in command of the Tour, as he should be! With helpers of course.

So I don't think that his current health status would hinder him writing songs at all. I bet he writes all the time. There are may even be a few songs gathering dust in his notebooks or tapes like Blind Willie McTell. Someday we will hear more original music written by him, I am sure.

I suppose it's fun to speculate. Thank you for the chronologic list Barefoot. 8)

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 19:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Lots of classical composers have gone on composing good music into their 70s and 80s e.g Richard Strauss. Can't think of singer-songwriters that have composed at that age, but that it is kind of uncharted territory?

All depends on health and given that Dylan is healthy enough to tour around the world still, can sit at a piano, singing for up fo 2 hours in front if 1,000s, arrange, rehearse, plan tours etc. And his Band very much give the impression that Dylan is the boss. So I think he is very much in command of the Tour, as he should be! With helpers of course.

So I don't think that his current health status would hinder him writing songs at all. I bet he writes all the time. There are may even be a few songs gathering dust in his notebooks or tapes like Blind Willie McTell. Someday we will hear more original music written by him, I am sure.

I suppose it's fun to speculate. Thank you for the chronologic list Barefoot. 8)

Frank Lloyd Wright, America's most celebrated architect, had his most productive period after he turned 80, and watched his last design, the Guggenheim Museum in New York City, being finished when died at the age of 92. Wright had a lot of similarities to Bob Dylan. He once said his head was full of designs and he "couldn't get them out fast enough".

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 21:21 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
The last concert I'd seen him at, in Dublin last May, I thought there was a big physical decline since my previous one in 2014. He hardly moved from the same spot all night.

I was at that Dublin 2017 concert, was sitting his side of the auditorium, binoculours at hand. I thought he looked pretty agile when he moved about. He darted over to a 'black box' front right stage after the first song, couldn't see what he was doing at the 'box', but he was moving about pretty fast. Not moving in a debilitated way at all. I could not say that I saw much difference to the Cork 2011 concert.

Sure his body is changing. But I don't think that would stop him being creative. Lets hope he has an excellent team of Doctors (no quacks) taking care of him.

After the Nobel prize award I did think now that'll be pressure from all directions to come up with a new album. That could destroy creativity. Hope that's not the case.

PostPosted: Mon January 29th, 2018, 23:26 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Mickvet wrote:
The last concert I'd seen him at, in Dublin last May, I thought there was a big physical decline since my previous one in 2014. He hardly moved from the same spot all night.

I was at that Dublin 2017 concert, was sitting his side of the auditorium, binoculours at hand. I thought he looked pretty agile when he moved about. He darted over to a 'black box' front right stage after the first song, couldn't see what he was doing at the 'box', but he was moving about pretty fast. Not moving in a debilitated way at all. I could not say that I saw much difference to the Cork 2011 concert.

Sure his body is changing. But I don't think that would stop him being creative. Lets hope he has an excellent team of Doctors (no quacks) taking care of him.

After the Nobel prize award I did think now that'll be pressure from all directions to come up with a new album. That could destroy creativity. Hope that's not the case.

I think his team and Colombia would respect whatever creative decisions he chooses to make/not make. Sure, they might milk the Nobel prize in certain releases, but I doubt they'd push for a new album at this point. Whenever they pushed for something on an album of Dylan's it wound up hurting the final product (Empire Burlesque comes to mind). I think they realize he's a 76 year old man who has other things on his mind, even if a new album is up there somewhere. That's not to say that because he's old he's frail or something (as you noted in your post), but he's already done so much for his record company that even if they wanted to sell something, they can just dip into the archives or recent shows.

Leonard Cohen was creative to the very end, as was Bowie. People like that, I believe, can turn on the switch whenever they want to if they focus on it. We'll see I guess!

PostPosted: Tue January 30th, 2018, 02:53 GMT 

Expect the worst and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue January 30th, 2018, 10:05 GMT 

Take a quick look at his performance of LARS in the desert, energy to burn.

PostPosted: Tue January 30th, 2018, 13:50 GMT 

Huck27 wrote:
Take a quick look at his performance of LARS in the desert, energy to burn.

How many shows has he not worn a shirt under his jacket like that?

Don't Google Rab C Nesbitt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next