Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 15th, 2018, 22:34 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 05:03 GMT 

Shadows in the Night is unfairly grouped with the following two (four?) albums, when it really shouldn’t be. I’ll agree wholeheartedly that Dylan spent a ton of time in this “period” of his career, maybe too much time depending on who you ask. But I don’t think it should be lost on people how good of an album Shadows in the Night is. It doesn’t feel like a compilation (like Fallen Angels) or excessive (like Triplicate). It’s a truly great album, a beautiful, moody piece of work. The following two records have their moments, but neither feel as complete as Shadows in the Night. It was a fantastic experiment and he nailed it on the first try.

Would I place it next to his best original work? No, but that’s not why he did it anyway.

Would I want an album of originals? It’d be great if he wrote more songs, of course.

But Shadows in the Night really is great.

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 05:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

Agreed. Shadows was a great, moody album that worked well as a cohesive piece. The two releases that followed had neither the atmosphere nor the gravitas that Shadows established.

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 06:10 GMT 

Shadows is much better than Angels. But, for me, not as good as disc 1 of Triplicate, which I still play fairly obsessively (probably only behind TTS in frequency).

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 06:18 GMT 

Shadows in the Night is great for a frisbee

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 08:13 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:
Shadows is much better than Angels. But, for me, not as good as disc 1 of Triplicate, which I still play fairly obsessively (probably only behind TTS in frequency).

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 11:41 GMT 

Shadows is certainly a beautiful album, and Angels a fun one, but Triplicate is the jewel in this series for me. As with World Gone Wrong, he has shaped a collection of non-originals into a wholly original album. Alternate titles for the three discs: 1) Early One Morning, 2) I Seen a Lot of Women, 3) Now I'm Going on Back Again

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 15:22 GMT 

Shadows is indeed a thing of beauty. Triplicate disc one is a fine effort too but as a whole, triplicate is bloated by comparison and can’t hold a candle to the little slice of heaven that Shadows is.

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 15:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

The general consensus on ER, was that SITN was an interesting and worthy effort.

But thus encouraged, his Bobness, got stuck in the groove for the next 4 albums worth of material.

:|

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 15:50 GMT 

I think Shadows is a great album and very cohesive, Fallen Angels seems to be more thrown together, and Triplcate is great however not nearly as cohesive as Shadows but it still makes for a great listen

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 15:57 GMT 

I prefer Fallen Angels, ... so far anyways. It's the one I've listened to the most. ... With that, I really haven't delved into any of em wholeheartedly.

Made a mix disc of the most upbeat songs that plays really well (if interested I put the songs on the "standards playlist" thread) as a whole and play it often in my car whenever i have company. ... It's like an unspoken compromise.... Playing Dylan, but not really kinda deal. ... Go figure that most folks can't handle hearing some random Bob boot from like 2008 or something... Lol, mostly just done with people bitchin' about it and questioning how I can listen to it and answer questions about why or how (settled with the black liquorice analogy years ago as the standby answer). ... Point being is that as of now that's the place the 3 albums have had in my own life. ... And solving the, playing Dylan when I want to hear it and others are around, problem is a great one to have solved.

With Shadows, I believe it contains the best song of the lot - Stay With Me. Love the recording of the debut performance as well. ... That song alone makes Bob's venture into those songs worth the while for myself. ... Thing is with all of Bob's music is that in the long run it all finds a place eventually and am thankful for its existence. .... The last song of it all Why Was I Born is truly beautiful in its own right & other than Stay With Me, only other one I've obsessed over. .... Don't get this wrong.... am glad the phase of standards has seemingly wound down live or otherwise, but wish he'd perform that one if only as a one-off show closer.

Whenever the time comes when the standards call for me I'm most definitely going to start with Shadows. Not just because it's the start, but mostly because when I read this site it seems to be the one that moved folks the most .... especially as a whole album. Appreciate all the comments on it. .... well, the positive ones at least.

http://www.notdarkyet.org/141026staywithme.mp3 - Stay With Me live debut .... Great performance and crowd reaction.

PostPosted: Thu August 23rd, 2018, 16:32 GMT 

Agree with this, and a good reminder. I think Shadows would have a sterling reputation if he'd left it at that. Personally, I adored it at the time, but now roll my eyes a little at how he's overdone the Sinatra stuff. This inevitably makes Shadows go down in my estimation - and it shouldn't. That album was a gem, and can't be blamed for the mixed-bag copycat albums that came after.

Last year I ranked all the individual songs on all five albums. When I averaged them, I got:
#1: Shadows in the Night
#2: Triplicate Disc 1: ‘Til the Sun Goes Down
#3: Triplicate Disc 3: Comin’ Home Late
#4: Triplicate Disc 2: Devil Dolls
#5: Fallen Angels

PS. Here's the full song-by-sing ranking, if anyone is interested in that: http://www.covermesongs.com/2017/04/we- ... overs.html

PostPosted: Thu August 23rd, 2018, 23:39 GMT 

Thank you kind sir for posting the link, and also for the time & efforts putting it together.

Really enjoyed going through it all. Especially the songs with write-ups.

PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2018, 02:53 GMT 

Yes it is

PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2018, 06:38 GMT 

I totally agree with this, Shadows In The Night still gets plenty of play in my den. Fallen Angels has it's moments but only Melancholy Mood gets the same attention. I still don't have the Triplicate set as I thought thirty more songs in the same groove was a bit excessive and I don't like some of the songs anyway.