i'd pick one of those:

is your love in vain?
tell me that it isn't true
let it be me
shooting star

runner-up:

vomit express

PostPosted: Mon January 22nd, 2018, 18:35 GMT 

Dylan makes better divorce music. Useful if things don't work out.

PostPosted: Mon January 22nd, 2018, 19:15 GMT 

If Not For You, the piano and violin version from Another Self Portrait

PostPosted: Tue January 23rd, 2018, 00:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

BuilderofRainbows wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
The ‘86 outtake? Interesting.
Maybe you could top it off later in the reception with
Til I Fell In Love With You!
Congrats!

That's the one. We've thought about "Love Minus Zero", as well - it's my favorite love song, and she likes it a lot, but it doesn't seem like it'd work as a "First Dance" song, regardless of the version.

It could be adapted to a line dance for two, and then that negates any lovey-dovey smooching and other potentially unsavory mischief out there on the dance floor.

https://youtu.be/I8vnpJD2VT4

PostPosted: Tue January 23rd, 2018, 05:22 GMT 

In my own while waiting for my bride to walk down the aisle I had a couple of the instrumentals of Pat Garrett playing among other instrumentals by The Beach Boys, Dennis Wilson and a couple others. My wife walked down the aisle to a live rendition of "Make You Feel My Love", which I initially heard as a Garth Brooks tune. Then as we were pronounced husband and wife we had "Emotionally Yours" by the O'Jays from the 30th Anniversary Concert kick in. I'm sure no one in the church had ever heard 3/4 of the songs but it put me at ease.

As far as first dance songs go, I would never suggest "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go". However, there are probably some appropriate one's in the canon somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed January 24th, 2018, 00:07 GMT 

No. No. No. You've all got it wrong!

Give the wedding guests something to talk about for years.

Wilbury Twist
Wiggle Wiggle

Confuse them with...

God Knows
Cold Irons Bound - One of the stop start versions played over the years.

PostPosted: Wed January 24th, 2018, 00:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Winter Lude wrote:
Dylan makes better divorce music.

This

PostPosted: Wed January 24th, 2018, 01:28 GMT 

I would like to see the people's faces if you choose It ain't me babe.

PostPosted: Thu January 25th, 2018, 03:44 GMT 

You Belong To Me
When the Deal Goes Down

PostPosted: Thu January 25th, 2018, 05:36 GMT 

I asked this same question a few years ago, but it was for a Father/Daughter dance.
Here's the link:

http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18939

They're still married 10 years later.

PostPosted: Thu January 25th, 2018, 16:15 GMT 

I seem to remember that, when this came up a decade or so ago, we decided that the correct answer was When The Deal Goes Down.

PostPosted: Thu January 25th, 2018, 19:04 GMT 

I played an outdoor ceremony where they asked for Girl From the North Country for walk-in music. I had to sit there and finger pick the song for about 10 minutes while a violin player soloed. I'm sure I got fumble fingered a couple of times.

PostPosted: Thu January 25th, 2018, 23:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

I wanted to keep my wedding audience in suspense about when Dylan would be played, so my wife and I opened to a song by the Band. I did Shenandoah for my dance with my mom. And we closed the night with tell tale signs disc 2 version of Mississippi; hardly anybody was around to notice though! Which actually made it kind of nice: instead of spending the closing hours of the venue saying goodbye to people, my wife and I got to dance with Bob.

Heartfelt congrats to you sir!

PostPosted: Fri January 26th, 2018, 08:55 GMT 

Thanks for all the replies folks :D

PostPosted: Fri January 26th, 2018, 10:55 GMT 

hurling wrote:

Sorry for the late reply Hurling. But I have been thinking about possible ideas for a Dylan themed wedding. With a bit of a Gaelic Athletics Association (GAA) angle in there. Apologies for all the Cliches in advance.

So, assuming that you are the Groom and that your Bride is completely in on this Dylan themed thing.......

Cowboy and cowgirl outfits only.

Lots and lots and lots of Bridemaids....introduce/thank them each at the speeches for being your former girlfriend, your current girlfriend, your future girlfriend, your current mistress and of course your current wife, the Bride, and whoever might turn out to be your future wife.

Somebody has to wear a brand new Leopard skin pill box hat.....the priest (vicar/rabbi)?

Provide nice little gift bags for the lady guests containing ampetamines and pearls (don't bother with real pearls, the bargain immitation Argos one will do).

The men (old style hairy GAA men I presume? with not a metrosexual in sight) should each get a pair of boxing gloves. All the best weddings have at least one good fight. Provide a roped off boxing ring for the GAA men to practice their punch-ups. Strictly GAA rules, i.e. punch your opponent only when the ref is not looking i.e. off the ball.

Only soup for dinner, you don't want to feel heavy after the wedding breakfast. To hell with the guests, let them drink alcohol.

Lights turned right down all day.

Make sure the photographer captures everything on film, you could eventually name your wedding footage 'Hurling and Clara'.

Speed off at the end of the night on a motorbike with your bride snuggling behind you, taking care over those cavernous County Meath potholes. To your sumptious bridal chamber, prepared with lines of cocaine and various scantily clad gorgeous ladies on hand, just in case the night gets a bit tedious.

If your Bride agrees to all this and enjoys herself then she really is Keeper. Or maybe it would be best to drop the Dylan theme idea and just stick with those lovely song suggestions?

Jokes aside now, congratulations on your engagement and hope you have a wonderful day. My favorite Wedding song is 'You Ain't Going Nowhere'. Even an old style hairy GAA Man (Dublin V Kerry circa 1976) will get up and dance with a lady to that song.

PostPosted: Fri January 26th, 2018, 19:14 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
hurling wrote:

Sorry for the late reply Hurling. But I have been thinking about possible ideas for a Dylan themed wedding. With a bit of a Gaelic Athletics Association (GAA) angle in there. Apologies for all the Cliches in advance.

So, assuming that you are the Groom and that your Bride is completely in on this Dylan themed thing.......

Cowboy and cowgirl outfits only.

Lots and lots and lots of Bridemaids....introduce/thank them each at the speeches for being your former girlfriend, your current girlfriend, your future girlfriend, your current mistress and of course your current wife, the Bride, and whoever might turn out to be your future wife.

Somebody has to wear a brand new Leopard skin pill box hat.....the priest (vicar/rabbi)?

Provide nice little gift bags for the lady guests containing ampetamines and pearls (don't bother with real pearls, the bargain immitation Argos one will do).

The men (old style hairy GAA men I presume? with not a metrosexual in sight) should each get a pair of boxing gloves. All the best weddings have at least one good fight. Provide a roped off boxing ring for the GAA men to practice their punch-ups. Strictly GAA rules, i.e. punch your opponent only when the ref is not looking i.e. off the ball.

Only soup for dinner, you don't want to feel heavy after the wedding breakfast. To hell with the guests, let them drink alcohol.

Lights turned right down all day.

Make sure the photographer captures everything on film, you could eventually name your wedding footage 'Hurling and Clara'.

Speed off at the end of the night on a motorbike with your bride snuggling behind you, taking care over those cavernous County Meath potholes. To your sumptious bridal chamber, prepared with lines of cocaine and various scantily clad gorgeous ladies on hand, just in case the night gets a bit tedious.

If your Bride agrees to all this and enjoys herself then she really is Keeper. Or maybe it would be best to drop the Dylan theme idea and just stick with those lovely song suggestions?

Jokes aside now, congratulations on your engagement and hope you have a wonderful day. My favorite Wedding song is 'You Ain't Going Nowhere'. Even an old style hairy GAA Man (Dublin V Kerry circa 1976) will get up and dance with a lady to that song.

Thanks for reply.........will take all suggestions onboard :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: