Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 19th, 2018, 02:11 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Boston 1975
PostPosted: Mon September 17th, 2018, 02:02 GMT 

How likely is it that the whole Boston show was filmed? We have Tangled Up in Blue from that night, and that's some of the best concert footage from one of his best years, if not the best. I'm assuming a whole concert had to be filmed at some point during that tour, and Boston is one of the best shows from the first leg. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Boston 1975
PostPosted: Mon September 17th, 2018, 02:47 GMT 

Quote:
Tangled Up in Blue from that night, and that's some of the best concert footage

I guess the footage is good for one camera aimed at his face for the entire song. But that gets old. The video would be much better with at least one other angle. If the whole thing was filmed, I hope it was with more than one camera.

PostPosted: Mon September 17th, 2018, 03:18 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
Quote:
Tangled Up in Blue from that night, and that's some of the best concert footage

I guess the footage is good for one camera aimed at his face for the entire song. But that gets old. The video would be much better with at least one other angle. If the whole thing was filmed, I hope it was with more than one camera.

If it has been filmed, i hope they at least pulled back a bit. They must’ve right? Especially when the band is on stage, or when he’s doing songs like Isis.

I think panning in for Tangled makes some sense, it at least looked cool/dramatic. Plus, I imagine by the Boston gig they realized the concerts on that tour were just amazing. Isn’t there footage of Hurricane from MSG? It was at on of the archive shows I think.

It’d be a crime if there wasn’t any more footage than what’s already been seen.

PostPosted: Mon September 17th, 2018, 04:12 GMT 

When I watch a lot of the '65, '66, and '75, '76 live footage I'm amazed at how bad it is. Bad camera angles, lousy shots and lousy edits. All three movies have songs that are chopped up and nothing makes sense. It's amazing to see him doing his thing but it could have been so much better.

PostPosted: Mon September 17th, 2018, 05:33 GMT 

I really only watched clips of the 60s performances, I should get around to actually watching the movies.

When it comes to ‘75, though, I’ll take whatever’s available. I normally don’t care if there’s footage of artists, but he makes it all look so effortless in ‘75. I mean, look at “It Takes A Lot to Laugh...” from Quebec. It’s insanse how great a performance it is, but also how easy he makes it look. Just fantastic.

A whole show from ‘75? That’s like the holy grail, in terms of Dylan’s work.

PostPosted: Mon September 17th, 2018, 09:49 GMT 

ShotofMercy wrote:
I really only watched clips of the 60s performances, I should get around to actually watching the movies.

When it comes to ‘75, though, I’ll take whatever’s available. I normally don’t care if there’s footage of artists, but he makes it all look so effortless in ‘75. I mean, look at “It Takes A Lot to Laugh...” from Quebec. It’s insanse how great a performance it is, but also how easy he makes it look. Just fantastic.

A whole show from ‘75? That’s like the holy grail, in terms of Dylan’s work.

Pennebaker was making a rockumentary not a concert show. As such it was light years ahead of what anyone else had attempted at the time. Thank goodness he did because Don't Look Back and the Newport films are pretty much all there is from the 63-65 era. And we luckily are left with a good record of that era in concert performance.

Hard Rain--- is that such a bad production? I think it's a good film, anyway far better than the Clearwater film, that really was a poor effort even though there are some priceless moments -- Baez 'Yeah I remember rehearsing this in 1965 once.' when Bob messes around on the start of St Augustine.

I agree what's really missing is 1975. A concert DVD from Boston or Montreal would be fantastic.

Sorry, I guess this is really a response to Winter Lude's post.

PostPosted: Mon September 17th, 2018, 10:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

There's about 45 minutes of circulating footage from RTR 75 from Renaldo & Clara, as well as another 45 minutes of the Hard Rain TV special, along with another hour of Clearwater. We also know there's more 76 stuff, as Tangled from Colorado was screened by the Dylan archive. There's clearly more than enough footage for Sony to release something. Would make a great bonus for the next BS!