Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 15th, 2018, 10:59 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon March 19th, 2018, 13:21 GMT 

Laura wrote:
McG wrote:
Do one about Dylan & Death please.

That is one I'm already thinking about! There's definitely a LOT of material for that! :)

Here's yesterday's episode on other people's songs Dylan has covered throughout the years!
The fun fact that I was trying to squeeze in at the end when I got cut off was that in his book on Dylan's Recording Sessions, Clinton Heylin lists 289 (!) covers that were attempted by Dylan in the studio up to 1994! That's not even counting all the covers he has played live in concert, or the ones he's recorded in the past 28 years! As I said, I'm really fascinated with Dylan covering other people's songs, and I'd love to do a part 2 for this topic sometime so i can play the songs I didn't have time for here. What's your favourite cover Dylan has done?
https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan-18th-march-2018/

Great, sounds like you have everything covered! ;-)

Thanks folks, I'm here all week.

PostPosted: Mon March 19th, 2018, 16:18 GMT 
Mercury Member

HopE wrote:
GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Except for Odetta singing Dylan songs. Her version of Don't think twice is a better listen than his for me.

No need to argue.A great singer without any doubt, and of course a wonderful singer of Dylan songs too.
Odetta impressed very much even alone because of her appearance and her attitudes as a young woman and as an older woman. Her powerful voice made her unique. Unfortunately she's gone and unfortunately I hadn't had the chance to see her perform live.

Some years ago she performed in London, at the Barbican I think, and did the most incredible version of 'Tomorrow is a long time'. I know it is on film because I've seen it, but it doesn't seem to be on you tube. I don't know where one can find it now, but a friend of mine was there and confirmed that she was the highlight, and that was her highlight... the place fell silent and spellbound until it burst in tumultuous, and well deserved, applause. Wish I could find the footage again!

PostPosted: Wed April 18th, 2018, 23:36 GMT 

Still listening, Laura. I love hearing the new episode every week.

I notice that you seem to be shifting towards more analysis and less music. I think your early episodes had a great balance of music and discussion. I love your analysis of Dylan's songs, but some of the more recent episodes seemed to have more discussion than music. I still love hearing your thoughts about Dylan's work, but I feel the music is important for the "pace" of the episode. When the episode is less than 50% music, it kinda breaks up the flow.

Just a bit of criticism. Overall, I still love the show and look forward to future episodes.

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2018, 14:14 GMT 

I liked this week's radio show very much!
Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon April 23rd, 2018, 16:05 GMT 

The Reasoner wrote:
Still listening, Laura. I love hearing the new episode every week.

I notice that you seem to be shifting towards more analysis and less music. I think your early episodes had a great balance of music and discussion. I love your analysis of Dylan's songs, but some of the more recent episodes seemed to have more discussion than music. I still love hearing your thoughts about Dylan's work, but I feel the music is important for the "pace" of the episode. When the episode is less than 50% music, it kinda breaks up the flow.

Just a bit of criticism. Overall, I still love the show and look forward to future episodes.

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to hear how people perceive the show. I usually let the theme of the week dictate how much analysis or discussion I include, some weeks it ends up being more, and sometimes less (like last week's episode, for example).

HopE wrote:
I liked this week's radio show very much!
Thank you!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I had fun putting it together! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 14th, 2018, 18:08 GMT 

Just thought I’d let you know that the latest episode on the album Shot Of Love is now up on mixcloud!
You can listen to it here: https://mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan/
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed May 23rd, 2018, 08:20 GMT 

Really happy to say that my show has entered the Folk Charts on mixcloud this week!

If you haven't listened to the latest episode on Judas yet, head over here and check it out. If you could favourite it and repost it, that would be fantastic and seems to have the biggest impact on the charts!

https://www.mixcloud.com/definitelydylan/

PostPosted: Wed May 23rd, 2018, 10:05 GMT 

Is there any plans to release these as a podcast?

PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 11:02 GMT 

the_hurricane wrote:

I would love to, but it's tricky to get the licensing rights to play music on a podcast.

In the meantime, if you download the mixcloud app, you can listen to all the shows on your phone, which makes it a lot easier, I find.

Here's the link to the latest episode, a birthday special dedicated to the zodiac sign of the Gemini: we're talking twins, duality, and the divided self:
https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan-27th-may-2018/

PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 11:06 GMT 

Laura wrote:
the_hurricane wrote:

I would love to, but it's tricky to get the licensing rights to play music on a podcast.

In the meantime, if you download the mixcloud app, you can listen to all the shows on your phone, which makes it a lot easier, I find.

Here's the link to the latest episode, a birthday special dedicated to the zodiac sign of the Gemini: we're talking twins, duality, and the divided self:
https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan-27th-may-2018/

thanks, i'll check it out

PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 11:37 GMT 

Very much fun to listen to that radio show.
Interesting infos, thoughts and themes.
Thank you for airing. Previsiouly heard the "Shot of Love" topic.
Now, try to play Every Grain Of Sand, beautiful the change from D to C
at the end of every verse, like that point much.

PostPosted: Mon May 28th, 2018, 11:58 GMT 

michael curtius wrote:
Very much fun to listen to that radio show.
Interesting infos, thoughts and themes.
Thank you for airing. Previsiouly heard the "Shot of Love" topic.
Now, try to play Every Grain Of Sand, beautiful the change from D to C
at the end of every verse, like that point much.

Ah, I'm glad you enjoy it! The Shot of Love one was a lot of fun to put together - in fact, I've really enjoyed all the recent episodes, the one on Judas, and yesterday's too! It's a shame that apparently fewer and fewer people are listening at the moment.. maybe it's the nice weather? But if you enjoy the show, please tell others about it, hit repost and favourite on mixcloud, and share the link - it's a big help!

PostPosted: Wed May 30th, 2018, 08:39 GMT 

The latin word Gemini sounds better for me as the German word for that part of the zodiac.
Think the way to do some phenomenology of the themes in Bob Dylan songs works well , while quoting
the original song lines , f.ex. of Wedding Song . Of course , it is perhaps the only way to work with the songs.
But Laura Tenschert finds just the interesting parts. And it is at all a very difficult job to do some good
phenomenology . It is this one of the thoughts which hits you, and hits you deeper - your lover is the
missing part, that makes you a whole, is some sort of a twin.
This live version of Simple Twist is wonderful. Very beautiful to get some new versions never heard before in
this radio show at mixcloud. Planet Waves is always appreciated by me. A lot of songs with a special beautiness.

PostPosted: Wed June 13th, 2018, 21:38 GMT 

michael curtius wrote:
The latin word Gemini sounds better for me as the German word for that part of the zodiac.
Think the way to do some phenomenology of the themes in Bob Dylan songs works well , while quoting
the original song lines , f.ex. of Wedding Song . Of course , it is perhaps the only way to work with the songs.
But Laura Tenschert finds just the interesting parts. And it is at all a very difficult job to do some good
phenomenology . It is this one of the thoughts which hits you, and hits you deeper - your lover is the
missing part, that makes you a whole, is some sort of a twin.
This live version of Simple Twist is wonderful. Very beautiful to get some new versions never heard before in
this radio show at mixcloud. Planet Waves is always appreciated by me. A lot of songs with a special beautiness.

Thank you Michael for your kind review - I'm so glad you're enjoying it! If you're on facebook/twitter/etc, please do find the show there and stay in touch and up to date with future episodes!

The latest episode is now up, and it's about the Dancing Spell in Dylan's music - We hear songs in which dance plays a crucial role, and I talk about Dylan's rhymes and the significance of things said in between the lines. I also offer an analysis of Man In The long Black Coat, and play the first ever performance of Mr. Tambourine Man. It's a good one!

you can listen here: https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan-10th-june-2018/

PostPosted: Tue June 19th, 2018, 04:52 GMT 

Laura wrote:
Just thought I’d let you know that the latest episode on the album Shot Of Love is now up on mixcloud!
You can listen to it here: https://mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan/
Enjoy!

Hi, Laura! I really enjoyed this program. I can tell that you are in your element. Hope you have success doing what you love. Your accent is intriguing - both German and Brittish? Forgive my American ears if not, please! :)

PostPosted: Tue June 19th, 2018, 09:55 GMT 

Peggy Night wrote:
Hi, Laura! I really enjoyed this program. I can tell that you are in your element. Hope you have success doing what you love. Your accent is intriguing - both German and Brittish? Forgive my American ears if not, please! :)

Haha, you're actually spot on Peggy Night! I'm German but have lived in the UK for eleven years now, so my accent is all over the place I'm sure!
Very glad you're enjoying the programme - I'm so pleased that fellow Dylan fans are liking it, I've always set out to just make a show that I myself would enjoy listening to. It's a lot of work, but also very rewarding.

The latest episode is now up on mixcloud, and it features my first ever guest on the show, American singer songwriter Robert Chaney, a massive Dylan fan, and also my favourite person. Together we're playing a game of Desert Island Dylan!
You can listen to it here: https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan-17-june-2018/

PostPosted: Thu June 28th, 2018, 20:16 GMT 

Hi friends!

The latest episode of my radio show is now available for listen. This one's about Dylan the Ghostwriter, and I play and talk about songs that Dylan wrote but that he didn't release, or that other people recorded first or more successfully.

It's full of great music, as always! You can listen here: https://www.mixcloud.com/Resonance/definitely-dylan-24th-june-2018/

PostPosted: Wed July 18th, 2018, 18:34 GMT 

Laura wrote:
It's a shame that apparently fewer and fewer people are listening at the moment.. maybe it's the nice weather? But if you enjoy the show, please tell others about it, hit repost and favourite on mixcloud, and share the link - it's a big help!
Unfortunately, there are always some people that drop off. But there are also late-comers... like me. :)

Just listened to the first episode, it was great!
On the one hand, it digs deep enough that I "learn" something new (the Born In Time lyric variation comes to mind), on the other hand, it feels accessible to people new to Dylan (although I haven't tested that theory yet... time to invite some friends under false pretenses).
The way you structured the episode around a theme worked also very nicely.
I'll listen to the rest eventually... but I still have other stuff in my backlog (for example, half of the Theme Time Radio Hours).

Laura wrote:
It's just a shame that I'm only allowed to play officially released material, so no bootlegs :(
I was a bit disappointed, when I read this, to be honest.
But then you pulled out the live recording from What Can I Do For You? (I forgot about the Bootleg Series for a moment) and all was good. 8)

PostPosted: Wed July 18th, 2018, 18:44 GMT 

Thank you! I'm glad to hear your precious time wasn't wasted listening to my show :lol:

I think the episodes have steadily gotten better, so if you have the time to listen to more, I would recommend some recent ones like the one on Judas, the one on Gemini, or the one on the Dancing Spell!

Hope you enjoy it!

PostPosted: Mon September 17th, 2018, 09:44 GMT 

Hi friends!

Definitely Dylan is back after its summer break, and the latest episode is a heavy one - it's about Bob Dylan and the Truth.
You can listen to it on the brand new beautiful website, https://www.definitelydylan.com/!

As always, the episode features some great Dylan songs and in-depth analysis of his lyrics and their cultural relevance.
Give it a listen!