Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri September 21st, 2018, 14:43 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 18:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 5212
Location: New Hampshire
Suggestions?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 18:23 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 18:34 GMT
Posts: 361
Location: I followed you beneath the stars
LARS in 1966, period.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 18:29 GMT 

Joined: Sat March 12th, 2005, 13:29 GMT
Posts: 3206
Location: East Coast liberal enclave
bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
LARS in 1966, period.


Correct.
That was a short thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 18:32 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 23rd, 2017, 18:34 GMT
Posts: 361
Location: I followed you beneath the stars
Drake wrote:
bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
LARS in 1966, period.


Correct.
That was a short thread.


Brevity is the soul of wit :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 19:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 5212
Location: New Hampshire
The late, great BennyBoy used to rave about a live "Idiot Wind" in the Rolling Thunder tour, I think in Colorado, that I would probably agree with. That song delivers his venom in words and performance like no other, assuming venom is your cup of tea. It of course stands on LARS's shoulders, but is superior, in my view. Splitting hairs, of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 19:14 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 2044
chrome horse wrote:
The late, great BennyBoy used to rave about a live "Idiot Wind" in the Rolling Thunder tour, I think in Colorado, that I would probably agree with. That song delivers his venom in words and performance like no other, assuming venom is your cup of tea. It of course stands on LARS's shoulders, but is superior, in my view. Splitting hairs, of course.


Yep. Nothing comes close -

https://youtu.be/w8DylAtPF0I


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 19:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 5212
Location: New Hampshire
McG wrote:
chrome horse wrote:
The late, great BennyBoy used to rave about a live "Idiot Wind" in the Rolling Thunder tour, I think in Colorado, that I would probably agree with. That song delivers his venom in words and performance like no other, assuming venom is your cup of tea. It of course stands on LARS's shoulders, but is superior, in my view. Splitting hairs, of course.


Yep. Nothing comes close -

https://youtu.be/w8DylAtPF0I



Thanks for that!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 19:24 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16th, 2016, 17:00 GMT
Posts: 713
Location: Homer, AK
chrome horse wrote:
McG wrote:
The late, great BennyBoy used to rave about a live "Idiot Wind" in the Rolling Thunder tour, I think in Colorado, that I would probably agree with. That song delivers his venom in words and performance like no other, assuming venom is your cup of tea. It of course stands on LARS's shoulders, but is superior, in my view. Splitting hairs, of course.


Yep. Nothing comes close -

https://youtu.be/w8DylAtPF0I

Thanks for that!



Needs 'monica.

'nuff said


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 19:33 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 2044
dylanswife wrote:


Needs 'monica.

'nuff said



Wash down with this and you're sorted, Game Over : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8obt4YNUe0&t=348s

Anyone who doesn't get this, or who doesn't like 'Oh Sister', for that matter, well you can just go and join Donald on the naughty step.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 20:05 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16th, 2016, 17:00 GMT
Posts: 713
Location: Homer, AK
Bob's guitar sounds tinny (can-like), could be bad/dull/EoL guitar strings, poorly mic'd or might be an issue with the way the audio was captured [tv source?].

Good version, I do like.

What I wish would happen is that..well.. Why won't Sony/Columbia Records release a complete show from, the '66 World Tours...We always see snippets of Tambourine Man, or She Belongs to Me, LARS, etc to name a few. I think there are a few singles, like LARS & MTM, that circulate, but they never stick around youtube for long. Always get just a clip. Even the Newport incident exists in full video form + soundboard. Mr Tambourine Man was floating around for a bit, where Bob had come back in tears and asked for an E harmonica.

There's got to be hours upon hours of video+sbd shows that are being used to collect dust... :evil:

I mean, 66, 75, 76, and probably 78 & 79...There is an abundance of material from these years that has never circulated or otherwise is very rare.

Trouble No More definitely show-cases some top-notch Bob performances on Video with soundboard.

Anyway,,,these are all in the running imo for best song[s] ever performed live..

[Pressing On] - Bob's ending at the piano is priceless. Someone misses their cue and he lets it be known.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVgyfjGlbWY

[Do Right To Me Baby]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3-IeVBi4yo

[Slow Train Coming]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56kKLEM0e14

[Solid Rock]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMrwVo2BJFA

[Abraham Martin & John] - with Clydie King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbveLDvePDQ

[Hard Rain A Gonna Fall] - Japan 5/1994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxjO4AkYy6Q


I think there is more Clydie King & Bob material that has never seen the light...At the very least in audio form.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 20:19 GMT 

Joined: Thu December 8th, 2011, 15:10 GMT
Posts: 564
Has to be, Idiot Wind from the Hard Rain video


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 20:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Tue February 17th, 2009, 02:57 GMT
Posts: 7212
Rocks and Gravel, one of those early tapes, probably Gaslight Cafe, IIRC.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 21:14 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 4th, 2013, 06:39 GMT
Posts: 6840
Location: in the mystic garden
Add me to the Idiot Wind list too


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat January 6th, 2018, 23:19 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2205
Location: Ireland
Disease of Conceit on piano, London, February 1990 is a candidate, in my opinion (assuming the thread is about the best performance of a song, live; as opposed to the best song per se that he has performed-which might imply the best song performed atrociously).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 01:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 4th, 2014, 21:25 GMT
Posts: 175
Just Like A Woman - 1966


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 02:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 30th, 2009, 14:57 GMT
Posts: 1429
Location: Madly Across the Sun
Can't argue with any the '66 and '75/'76 candidates that have already been mentioned. Throwing in Mr. Tambourine Man 1966 from Sheffield for good measure. I mean, God the harmonica solo...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 03:37 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 18472
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
LARS in 1966, period.

I cannot fathom the damage to one's brain that would be necessary to agree with that... Or anything from that era. Most anything from the Gospel tours would be infinitely better candidates and of course, the Never Ending Tour probably has over 4,000 to 5,000 songs one could argue as the greatest song performed live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 04:55 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 17468
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
We all know it's Idiot Wind. Mods please delete this thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 05:06 GMT 

Joined: Wed May 31st, 2017, 00:56 GMT
Posts: 269
Untrodden Path wrote:
bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
LARS in 1966, period.

I cannot fathom the damage to one's brain that would be necessary to agree with that... Or anything from that era. Most anything from the Gospel tours would be infinitely better candidates and of course, the Never Ending Tour probably has over 4,000 to 5,000 songs one could argue as the greatest song performed live.


To each their own, really. I'm not really a 60s live Bob fan. It might be blasphemy, but I really dig 70s and current day Dylan (current being mid nineties to now) and would take them over 60s Dylan any day. That also applies to studio performances, but I really don't go back to live 60s Dylan often. However, there's a performance of Desolation row from 65-66 that's really mesmerizing, and that era definitely has its perks.

-Idiot Wind from Hard Rain is definitely up there, maybe (probably) number one
- A lot of live versions of Blood On The Tracks songs can be contenders (except buckets of rain, unfortunately)
- Shelter from the storm in Prague and '76 are also awesome
- I really love the Desert Trip version of Tangled Up in Blue

It's insane that they all are so good, especially in my mind because I think the studio takes are perfect. "dylanswife" also linked a ton of good gospel performances. Pay in Blood from 2015 was also awesome (can't remember where exactly). Too much to choose from, what a great problem to have!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 05:54 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 17468
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
I must give love for Shelter at Roseland 1994. And Wolftrap 1991, for that matter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 08:12 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 23rd, 2011, 14:43 GMT
Posts: 1813
Location: Singapore
Put me in the '66 camp (Mr Tambourine Man from Sheffield and LARS from Manchester)
Id also throw this little beauty into the mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYajHZ4QUVM

Its Alright Ma from '65


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 12:32 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 13th, 2007, 04:19 GMT
Posts: 3143
Location: A kingdom called heaven
dylanswife wrote:
Bob's guitar sounds tinny (can-like), could be bad/dull/EoL guitar strings, poorly mic'd or might be an issue with the way the audio was captured [tv source?].

Good version, I do like.

What I wish would happen is that..well.. Why won't Sony/Columbia Records release a complete show from, the '66 World Tours...We always see snippets of Tambourine Man, or She Belongs to Me, LARS, etc to name a few. I think there are a few singles, like LARS & MTM, that circulate, but they never stick around youtube for long. Always get just a clip. Even the Newport incident exists in full video form + soundboard. Mr Tambourine Man was floating around for a bit, where Bob had come back in tears and asked for an E harmonica.

There's got to be hours upon hours of video+sbd shows that are being used to collect dust... :evil:

I mean, 66, 75, 76, and probably 78 & 79...There is an abundance of material from these years that has never circulated or otherwise is very rare.

Trouble No More definitely show-cases some top-notch Bob performances on Video with soundboard.

Anyway,,,these are all in the running imo for best song[s] ever performed live..

[Pressing On] - Bob's ending at the piano is priceless. Someone misses their cue and he lets it be known.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVgyfjGlbWY

[Do Right To Me Baby]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3-IeVBi4yo

[Slow Train Coming]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56kKLEM0e14

[Solid Rock]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMrwVo2BJFA

[Abraham Martin & John] - with Clydie King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbveLDvePDQ

[Hard Rain A Gonna Fall] - Japan 5/1994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxjO4AkYy6Q


I think there is more Clydie King & Bob material that has never seen the light...At the very least in audio form.


Thank you very much.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 12:48 GMT 

Joined: Sat March 12th, 2005, 13:29 GMT
Posts: 3206
Location: East Coast liberal enclave
Untrodden Path wrote:
bloodblondehighwayhome wrote:
LARS in 1966, period.

I cannot fathom the damage to one's brain that would be necessary to agree with that... Or anything from that era. Most anything from the Gospel tours would be infinitely better candidates and of course, the Never Ending Tour probably has over 4,000 to 5,000 songs one could argue as the greatest song performed live.


All your political-thread, uh, droppings suddenly make sense. Not, of course, in terms of ideological consistency, no, no, no.

I mean in terms of behavioral tendencies.

- Seeing the real you at last.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 13:49 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 31st, 2006, 09:13 GMT
Posts: 2299
Location: out on Decatur Hill
Forgetful Heart, Ramat Gan Stadium, Tel Aviv, Israel, June 20, 2011


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 13:50 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon September 8th, 2014, 11:02 GMT
Posts: 1335
Location: Tiresome Town
I always have to listen to the whole of Side 2 of Hard Rain: 'Idiot Wind' is the climax to the tempest but the storm starts much earlier, and you have to be already drenched and shivering before that 'Idiot Wind' can fully penetrate to your bones.

Similar thing with the '66 'Rolling Stone' - it's the final scene in a piece of performed drama and without the rest of the electric set it's like watching the shoot-out at the end of High Noon without experiencing the tension of the build-up.

So neither of those songs qualify as the single BEST SONG EVER performed live because they need their context to be fully appreciated.

This, however, wins...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-0tiTiUdv0


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Satanic Dylan Fan, secondo44, skelly35, smiley, Watamushi, zundppbob


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group