Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 21st, 2018, 15:02 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri December 22nd, 2017, 05:40 GMT 

I know that there is a post on here somewhere about 'misheard' lyrics to Bob Dylan songs. But, for fun I am wondering if any of you have any 'misunderstood' lyrics or titles.

I am very very embarassed to say that I always thought that 'Blood on the tracks' referred to those silent films, where a woman (or man) is tied to the rail road tracks by a villian. And in Bob Dylan's mind the hero didn't manage to untie. I thought this made perfect sense because it never seemed plausible that the hero of the story would always manage to untie the damsel just before the train ran over them both and I thought Bob Dylan is a very realistic kinda fella and he would just tell it like it really is.

I realised a long time ago that my imagination ran away with me about that title and I presume now like everyone else the title refers to blood on the record tracks. (I say presume because, well do we know that's what he was imagining at the time? Or does that matter at all).

And now I read that the Damsel on the track thing hardly ever happened in silent film anyway.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.atlasob ... tracks.amp

So do you have any misunderstandings like mine? Or am I the only Idiot on here?

PostPosted: Fri December 22nd, 2017, 08:25 GMT 

Well, I've always assumed that it was both. Also a reference to the cowboy song Blood on the Saddle. It's a play on words, it's what Dylan does.

PostPosted: Fri December 22nd, 2017, 08:30 GMT 

Well thanks. I told my companion in Bob Dylan listening and he thought it was a ridiculous thought. Haha.

So it wasn't that off the wall. And yes of course yes Bob Dylan plays with multiple meanings.

Tell me more of these!!

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 22:18 GMT 

That's a funny share Girls. Normally, I keep it to myself, but since you opened the door; I do have some experience with this type of thing.
Regarding the lines Workingman's Blues #2

Meet me at the bottom, don't lag behind
Bring me my boots and shoes
You can hang back or fight your best on the frontline
Sing a little bit of these workingman's blues

When I was just proper out of mind I guess-I took those it all to mean that the bottom and frontline was down front in the concert :D
My God, so embarrassed to tell, but later when there was a concert ; I thought I'd take this pair of weathered cowboy boots with me and right as the WMB2 started, powerful urges overtook me and I made my way down. When Dylan began singing those lines, I was right there -close up and so I flung those Cowboy boots , beyond the little hindrances of two rows between me and the stage;hoping to finally give him what he wanted :lol:
Well, things didn't go as planned. One boot did hit the stage hard , landing just at Dylan's feet. Tony smiled , as if that had happened before, while Bob just kept doing his thing -you know, like a professional. Meanwhile the other boot sailed a bit haphazard threw the air and the overall quality of the throw didn't work out. I would like most to write you a long letter describing this moment, but let's just say, when it struck the binoculars from the soon to be rage-filled man in the front row; smashing them to the floor with a merry jolt-and with that! I knew it was time to take leave. I ducked outta there before he could punish me -luckily the song had ended by this point and the cover of darkness saved me :P all very true, my friend.
So there you have it , I'm not usually one to put too much stock into the validity of meaning as to what Bob Dylan thinks when he writes something out from the high level of his I'm ever grateful for grand imagination, because as you can see, things can be misconstrued.
Thanks for sharing your take on blood on the tracks, Girls. It's been established that I'm not alone on this :D I hope more people will come out after this now.
Here's to the misconstrued lyrics and the great crossed up to get down on me then take your distinctions of at some point possible meaning!

PostPosted: Thu December 28th, 2017, 22:39 GMT 

more here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=59059
and here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89771

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 21:09 GMT 

Mitsou wrote:
I took those it all to mean that the bottom and frontline was down front in the concert :D
My God, so embarrassed to tell, but later when there was a concert ; I thought I'd take this pair of weathered cowboy boots with me and right as the WMB2 started, powerful urges overtook me and I made my way down. When Dylan began singing those lines, I was right there -close up and so I flung those Cowboy boots , beyond the little hindrances of two rows between me and the stage;hoping to finally give him what he wanted :lol:

Mitsou you really made me laugh! Yes that was what I meant Misunderstood not misheard lyrics. Not only did you misunderstand but you threw a boot on stage!!?? While I don't want to think of anyone actually acting out a misconception (could get a bit insane), I thank you for you story.

PostPosted: Fri December 29th, 2017, 21:24 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
I meant Misunderstood not misheard lyrics.
aye,
that is a whole other thing

my bewildered brain toils in vain

PostPosted: Sat December 30th, 2017, 02:25 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
Mitsou wrote:
I took those it all to mean that the bottom and frontline was down front in the concert :D

Mitsou you really made me laugh! Yes that was what I meant Misunderstood not misheard lyrics. Not only did you misunderstand but you threw a boot on stage!!?? While I don't want to think of anyone actually acting out a misconception (could get a bit insane), I thank you for you story.

you're welcome. it's embarrassing , like I said,,the throw wasn't perfect, if... there's one more... chance , I'd practice more, but my friend was impatient. so only had a day to learn it.Only half learned I guess, since the wayward boot struck the man. But who uses binoculars in the front row anyway ?! i hear you though, dont wanna encourage the insanity,so as far as it goes, 'right or wrong'...neverhappned!