Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 20th, 2018, 17:41 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 16:42 GMT 

The wife and I went for a road trip in my new car. It came with a couple months of free Sirius/XM. I like the Beatles channel, the Tom Petty channel is good, but I think they really need a Bob Dylan channel.

Imagine what they could do with it. All the recordings, the concerts, artists he's worked with, artists who were influenced, the Theme time shows, recorded interviews. I predict it would be no problem programming endless hours of Bob, and Bob related stuff.

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 17:39 GMT 

Every time I think Bob needs his own channel I remember dylanradio.com exists and listen to that

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 17:45 GMT 

I've wondered why Bob doesn't have a channel. Are there any legal reasons?

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 17:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

Jordan wrote:
Every time I think Bob needs his own channel I remember dylanradio.com exists and listen to that

That's really all you need. Plus they play live cuts.

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 17:07 GMT 

So much for that idea :(

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 17:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 18:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

I always travel with about two or three flash drives containing about 30 episodes from Theme Time Radio Hour and four or five flash drives with assorted NET shows. I never have to worry about finding a channel that I like.

PostPosted: Sat December 9th, 2017, 20:01 GMT 

This is also a cool program run out of Duluth

http://kumd.org/programs/highway-61-revisited#stream/0

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 14:46 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
The wife and I went for a road trip in my new car. It came with a couple months of free Sirius/XM. I like the Beatles channel, the Tom Petty channel is good, but I think they really need a Bob Dylan channel.

Imagine what they could do with it. All the recordings, the concerts, artists he's worked with, artists who were influenced, the Theme time shows, recorded interviews. I predict it would be no problem programming endless hours of Bob, and Bob related stuff.

According to Lee Abrams, his original solicitation to have Dylan on XM Radio was, in fact, for a "Bob Dylan Channel" in a format similar to Willie Nelson taking over "Hank's Place," essentially a station which played Dylanesque music, interspersed with Dylan's songs and prerecorded Dylan announcements. Happily, Dylan turned down the idea but did express interest in doing a radio show, which eventually evolved into "Theme Time Radio Hour." Several people I spoke to at XM mentioned that TTRH was the single largest expense--outside of MLB--that the satellite radio station had during the show's three-year run.

I sure wish we'd get more TTRH, but like Chronicles II, I think it's unlikely.

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 16:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

From listening the the show (over and over), I think Dylan enjoying doing Theme Time Radio Hour while it was happening but I think for him it ran its course and he's moved on. There were some other themes I had hoped he would pursue but it does not appear likely that we'll ever get him back to do it again which is too bad. He was pretty good at it and much of the music he drew from was a treasure trove of music I hadn't been exposed to previously.

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 16:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

Winter Lude wrote:

Exactly right. There is a Grateful Dead channel, and it's a low number, like 23, and it's terrific. Dylan is a natural for it.

PostPosted: Mon December 11th, 2017, 16:42 GMT 

24 hours of Bob Dylan [url]ar.cienradios.com/player/bob_dylan_y_art_rel[/url]

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 16:42 GMT 

Mail Train wrote:
I've wondered why Bob doesn't have a channel. Are there any legal reasons?

My guess would be they might want some minimal level or participation from the artist. I know once in a blue moon Springsteen does an interview on his channel. Would Petty? Or anyone else with a dedicated channel?

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 17:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

the3penguins wrote:
Would Petty?

At this point, I’m guessing “no.”

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 18:44 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
I always travel with about two or three flash drives containing about 30 episodes from Theme Time Radio Hour and four or five flash drives with assorted NET shows. I never have to worry about finding a channel that I like.

I do exactly the same. I travel alot, always sitting in packed airports. If it wasn't for Theme Time radio hour I would have gone bonkers a long time ago. Or did I already?

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 20:43 GMT 

Yes.

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 22:22 GMT 

I thinkyou have gone bonkers mitsou! No need to be mean!!Bob's got a lot of crazy :shock: fans e.g. they dig through his trash, collect private family photos, stalk etc. In spite of that, I'm still always open to meeting new fans at shows- but people like Girls who seem nice and not bonkers!!!

PostPosted: Sun January 7th, 2018, 23:31 GMT 

brooklyn damsel wrote:
I thinkyou have gone bonkers mitsou! No need to be mean!!Bob's got a lot of crazy :shock: fans e.g. they dig through his trash, collect private family photos, stalk etc. In spite of that, I'm still always open to meeting new fans at shows- but people like Girls who seem nice and not bonkers!!!

I can't deny that I'm not bonkers! Sometimes I can't keep it in. I'm sorry ,Girls :oops: if I'd have known that anyone cared, I wouldn't have used such dry humour. Didn't mean to come across as cold . Think I was just enacting a parody of the song that was on when I was posting -Idiot Wind !xo

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 01:39 GMT 

A few years back somebody was browsing the Bob boards and was looking to get a feel from the dylan public to see what the interest might be in him releasing a book about Bob's participation with TTRH.

I believe he got his answer with an overwhelming number of supporters who were interested..Then boom, he dropped some number, like 10K (perhaps more or perhaps less..cant remember) to cover his time and the materials needed to produce and publish this project.

I think it fizzled out, but anyone remember what happened with it?

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 21:49 GMT 

Girls!!!!! did you get my apology??? I'm only bother you like a fly because of your name :lol: :lol: :lol: feel free to kill swat me with a branch if you think this is double too much.

PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 08:24 GMT 

Mitsou and Brooklyn damsel......RELAX ladies. I am offended by nobody. :D

PostPosted: Fri January 12th, 2018, 05:50 GMT 

I agree. I can’t stop listening to the Elvis channel though