Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 19th, 2018, 20:16 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Dark Ages
PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 16:49 GMT 

Between no original tunes released in 5 years, wave after wave of standards, a diarrhea of Christian fundamentalism, and the never-ending, never changing SET, to this listener, it's a Dark Ages chapter for Dylan fandom.
Hoping 2018 sees a new album of Dylan originals (sung in his improved voice), a new format for his show (sung in his improved voice), culminating with the BS14 Blood on the Tracks edition!

Post subject: Re: The Dark Ages
PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 17:02 GMT 

So "The Dark Ages" contain:

3 studio albums, including a triple album
4 bootleg series releases
The MusiCares speech
The Nobel Prize lecture
2 television appearances
An average of 80 shows a year

All this from a man in his 70s.

If these are the Dark Ages, I'd say that's pretty good.

What would you call 5 years of no releases and no touring?

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 17:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

The longer than usual break between summer and fall produced rumors of a new studio album. One rumor which I loved and supported but which is almost certainly not true id that a second Christmas album was recorded. (Oh sweet Jesus, please be true!!!)

I think an album of original material may be on the shelves by start of the Spring 2018 tour. Anticipated and desired by many, this would be a grand thing.

Jordan wrote:

A blessing... A great transition from what was once but is no more. When he returned from his self-imposed hiatus with the Band, what he produced I could actually listen to.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 17:11 GMT 

Ever since Tempest was released we got:

3 beautiful releases of standards (they are beautifully done, though I understand they´re not everyone´s cup of tea)

Bootleg series::
Another self-portrait. Stunning
The complete basement tapes. No comment necessary
The cutting edge. As above
Trouble no more. I have yet to hear it, but reviews great so far

Live 1966 box set. Arguably the most glorious tour of his career, released (almost) in it´s entirety

I have not seen any shows, but from what I heard of recent concerts it sounds like he keeps reinventing the arrangements, often with great results.

I know most of the above is past work, but these are great times to be a Dylan fan, is my point.

In other words, dark times my arse

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 17:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

I’m having trouble keeping up with the bahstahd.
Every time we turn around it’s Bob this, Bob that.

It’s not dark yet, it ain’t even gettin’ there.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 17:51 GMT 

I'd call it

The Age of Alchemy Witnessed & Revisited//

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 18:55 GMT 

Yes, there have been some great archival releases ASP, Basement, '66...But it terms of the art Dylan is currently producing, it's become the stalest of crackers. If the Renaissance does indeed come, it will only arrive with a new album of originals and a complete revamp of the live show.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 19:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bob's averaged one new original album every 5 years since Time out of Mind. How is this any different to 92-97 or 01-06?

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 19:16 GMT 

Each to their own, but personally I think this is more of a golden age, especially since Bob is at a stage where he doesn't need to do anything. He's singing better than he has in years, and his standards albums have turned me into a huge Frank Sinatra fan.

Things could be much worse: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zTqzjvJxQg

Last edited by TimEdgeworth1 on Tue November 28th, 2017, 19:22 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 19:18 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Bob's averaged one new original album every 5 years since Time out of Mind. How is this any different to 92-97 or 01-06?

Not exactly.

TOOM>L&T: 4 Years
L&T>MT: 5 years
MT>TTL: 3 years
TTL>Tempest: 3 years

Anyhow, the difference is that not only no new tunes, we get cover album after cover album of standards, and a perpetually static performing set.
The shows back in 92-97 and 01-06 had the excitement of surprise with song variance. Plus Bob on guitar for much of it (though can't blame him for not playing it these days if his hands won't allow it)

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 19:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Listen to the latest tapes. Comfortably better than 2003-2013.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 19:29 GMT 

I prefer the uncomfortable variability with Dylan. And I'd take Dublin 2005 over any of the recent shows.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 19:39 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
Each to their own, but personally I think this is more of a golden age, especially since Bob is at a stage where he doesn't need to do anything. He's singing better than he has in years, and his standards albums have turned me into a huge Frank Sinatra fan.

Holy smokes, that´s awful.
Why did you do this to us, Tim?

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 20:06 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:

Things could be much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_juKSv6Kec

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 20:16 GMT 

Things are great these days.

I'm with Untrodden Path; I think some originals are close up ahead. And you know that a longer break between albums of originals is good for Bob's results. I guess this is the longest break between albums of originals since the period that produced Time Out of Mind.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 20:24 GMT 

Jordan wrote:

At this point, I'd rather him take a break from touring and spend a number of months writing and in the studio to hit us with a great new record. As long as the tour is basically stuck inside of it's own mobius loop, I've had no reason to see him doing what he did the last year. And the year before.
If the tour was dynamic and non-static, it would make the lack of new originals a lot more easy to digest.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 20:31 GMT 

yopietro wrote:
Between no original tunes released in 5 years, wave after wave of standards, a diarrhea of Christian fundamentalism, and the never-ending, never changing SET, to this listener, it's a Dark Ages chapter for Dylan fandom.
Hoping 2018 sees a new album of Dylan originals (sung in his improved voice), a new format for his show (sung in his improved voice), culminating with the BS14 Blood on the Tracks edition!

Mumford & Sons and Beck are probably more your speed..

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 20:48 GMT 

lovethatcountrypie wrote:
yopietro wrote:

Mumford & Sons and Beck are probably more your speed..

Is that an attempt at being clever?

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 20:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

Rather than the dark ages, it's the clueless fans - as usual. Guy is pushing 80, singing better than he has in years, but it's still not enough for the cry babies. The answer is simple - toss em' some towels. The good news? Crying is a good way to lose some extra pounds - water is very heavy. So I'm turning your tears into a free weight loss program, and as always - no charge!

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 21:13 GMT 

I disagree with the idea about the dark ages except for the fact that he hasn't released an org. album in 5 years.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed the last few years of concerts. Especially this recent F2017 tour, great stuff. Also with him releasing all this new archive stuff and winning the nobel...it has been a great last few years to be a bob fan.

I understand what you're saying though, I could use a set of new originals myself :D

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 21:18 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
Rather than the dark ages, it's the clueless fans - as usual. Guy is pushing 80, singing better than he has in years, but it's still not enough for the cry babies. The answer is simple - toss em' some towels. The good news? Crying is a good way to lose some extra pounds - water is very heavy. So I'm turning your tears into a free weight loss program, and as always - no charge!

It's hard to pay attention to your rambling on when you've got all those cornflakes stuck in your beard. Go have yourself a shower and a trim and you'll feel so much better.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 21:42 GMT 

a lot can be said on all sides...depending on what Bob Dylan you want/like and the various ones you don't....

but to call this THE DARK AGES just strikes me as way off...maybe a bit melodramatic...

There is certainly room to complain if you do not enjoy this or that version of Dylan...no fan has to like every side of Bob Dylan....

but to call the present period the Dark Ages....is that in light of your feelings and interest in DYLAN...or an attempt at an objective statement?

If a book on DYLAN comes out in 2045 will the chapter about the last five years be titled:

THE DARK AGES

(?)

I'm pretty darn sure the answer is "NO"

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 22:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

I listened to Triplicate (or maybe just some of it--I was on an airplane) and have to say it was one of the worst pieces of sad worthless music I've ever heard. That alone makes Dylan's dotage a dark period indeed. Someone should just tell him to stop. He is devaluing his place as an artist and his prior work with these morbidly dreadful and self-centered cover albums. Tiny Tim had a better grasp of such material, and a better way with the songs. Is this a triple album? I can't imagine anyone listening to more than a few minutes of him wheezing and gurgling through this material without collapsing in laughter or tears. Drunk uncles in front of a wedding band was all I could think of as a comparable listening experience. He's clearly running on empty. Dead man fires last pistol shot on cap gun.

Then I watched Pacific Rim. Big mistake.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 22:27 GMT 

shhhhhhhhhh.....don't rag on Bob!
It's Christmas time man!

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 22:36 GMT 

Owes us nothing. Thanks, Mr Dylan, for everything. You nearly have me broke and I don't even have enough time to listen to a fraction of what I have.