Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun September 23rd, 2018, 04:30 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bob's Memory
PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 02:07 GMT 

Bob seems to have an exceptional memory. He always has his lyrics memorized - quite a challenge, with his discography - and has amazing recall of other musicians' work.

What quotes are out there on his memory?

Post subject: Re: Bob's Memory
PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 02:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Does he have his lyrics memorized? He usually has some on the piano and even then some are forgetten

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 02:11 GMT 

In NDH, he states that in his village days he just needed to hear a song once or twice and he could memorise it. His memory is for certain one of the keys to his success.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 02:14 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Does he have his lyrics memorized? He usually has some on the piano and even then some are forgetten

In most of the videos I watch he does not seem to have a lyric sheet. Agreed that most recent concerts do on the piano.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 02:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

I could swear either Townsend or Daltry said that Dylan's memory was going, and that the limited setlists reflected that, but his performances in general were a way of keeping his mind limber and sharp, which was one of the reasons he still went on the road so much.

Did anyone else see this?

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 02:33 GMT 

TheBoiledGutsofBirds wrote:
In NDH, he states that in his village days he just needed to hear a song once or twice and he could memorise it. His memory is for certain one of the keys to his success.

I used to be able to do this, I wish I made better use of it at the time. I read Harold Pinter’s The Homecoming and managed to memorise 50 quotes two hours before a first year university English exam. Ten years later and I have to sing a song about twenty times before I have completely memorised the lyrics and verse order. Takes me much longer to read too.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 02:48 GMT 

He forgets lyrics in concert because he is 'in the moment' and each moment is different base on the band's groove, the venue, the audience. Sure he may forget more than he once did (I really don't think so, but others may prove me wrong). If he were concerned with replicating each song as recorded, he would be ___________________ [insert artist with same tempos, same solos, same stage banter each night].

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 03:28 GMT 

His memory has always been amazing even if he was not focused for one reason or another.

Even today look at his interviews and see how much he has to pull from.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 04:57 GMT 

utley04 wrote:
Nightingale's Code wrote:

In most of the videos I watch he does not seem to have a lyric sheet. Agreed that most recent concerts do on the piano.

He has almost always had visual aids for remembering song lyrics. If you can’t see them it’s because his hands taped them to the floor.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 07:48 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I could swear either Townsend or Daltry said that Dylan's memory was going, and that the limited setlists reflected that, but his performances in general were a way of keeping his mind limber and sharp, which was one of the reasons he still went on the road so much.

'Townsend or Daltry'...but you can't remember which. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 08:02 GMT 

I seem to remember that he brought a lyrics books with him on tour... Am I making that up?

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 08:19 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Anr Bjotk wrote:
I seem to remember that he brought a lyrics books with him on tour... Am I making that up?

David Mansfield said that when they were rehearsing possible songs for the 1978 tour they went out and bought a book of the lyrics.

When he was just starting out in New York Dylan used to tape his set list to his guitar, he said he looked at the set lists other people had taped to their guitars and added song titles from them to his list, he didn't know the songs but it made his set list look cooler.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 12:33 GMT 

Loose Fur wrote:
His memory has always been amazing even if he was not focused for one reason or another.

Even today look at his interviews and see how much he has to pull from.

Yes agree, for a 75 year old he is incredible.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 13:09 GMT 

I remember when argentinian rock musician Andrés Calamaro opened for Bob on a spanish tour about 15 or 20 years ago. Calamaro played a version of Elvis "Are you lonesome tonight?".
One night, after his opening gig, Bob approached him and told him that he liked how he sang that old Elvis song. Calamaro then replied that actually he sung it the way that Bob himself had sung it in one of his records.
"Oh, really? I recorded that? mmmh, could be. You know for which album?"
"I think it´s A fool such as I, Bob"
"Mmmmh, yeah, probably"

Also, there´s that hilarious annecdote from No direction home, I believe, told by Baez. Bob he gave her a song for her to record (Love is a 4 letter word?). Then one day they are together and on the radio in comes Joan singing it.
"Hey, Joanie, that´s a great song you´re singing!! wow!!"
"You wrote it, a**ehole" :)))

So, great memory? Not so sure :)

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 13:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:

It was Townshend after the Desert gig.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 16:02 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
He forgets lyrics in concert because he is 'in the moment' and each moment is different base on the band's groove, the venue, the audience. Sure he may forget more than he once did (I really don't think so, but others may prove me wrong). If he were concerned with replicating each song as recorded, he would be ___________________ [insert artist with same tempos, same solos, same stage banter each night].

I should have used this excuse when I was taking exams in school. "I'm in a different moment now. How do you expect me to remember that stuff?" They really should grade you on the things you remember, not the things you forget. Like, if I know that Henry VIII came after Henry VIII, is it really important whether I know who won the Battle of Bosworth Field?

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 16:37 GMT 

Yes, how can you not be in the moment?

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 16:44 GMT 

wormington wrote:
I remember when argentinian rock musician Andrés Calamaro opened for Bob on a spanish tour about 15 or 20 years ago. Calamaro played a version of Elvis "Are you lonesome tonight?".
One night, after his opening gig, Bob approached him and told him that he liked how he sang that old Elvis song. Calamaro then replied that actually he sung it the way that Bob himself had sung it in one of his records.
"Mmmmh, yeah, probably"

Then again, the album "A Fool Such As I" was released under the name "Dylan" in the US, and the other Elvis song on the album was "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You", not Lonesome. Not surprising it didn't ring a bell.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 17:27 GMT 

Voice With Restraint wrote:
wormington wrote:
"Mmmmh, yeah, probably"

Then again, the album "A Fool Such As I" was released under the name "Dylan" in the US, and the other Elvis song on the album was "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You", not Lonesome. Not surprising it didn't ring a bell.

Oh, right. Might have been Cant help falling in love, then.
My memory sure is crap

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 17:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

I will say with complete certainty that Bob’s memory is better than mine.

Honestly though I already forgot the question.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 17:39 GMT 

Years ago I posted videos of some Dylan covers. I remember when I was doing them, I could not get through a single song without words printed out. These are songs I've been singing since I was 15. Dylan songs have verse after verse and I don't know how anyone can remember all that stuff and get it straight each time. When Jimi did LARS at Monterrey Pop, he commented during the song that he missed a verse. If he hadn't said it, nobody would have noticed except maybe Bob Dylan's grandmother.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 18:14 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
Years ago I posted videos of some Dylan covers. I remember when I was doing them, I could not get through a single song without words printed out. These are songs I've been singing since I was 15. Dylan songs have verse after verse and I don't know how anyone can remember all that stuff and get it straight each time. When Jimi did LARS at Monterrey Pop, he commented during the song that he missed a verse. If he hadn't said it, nobody would have noticed except maybe Bob Dylan's grandmother.

I find verse order the most difficult element of memorising songs. Thunder on the Mountain, Isis and and Shelter From the Storm were extremely difficult to memorise without getting verses jumbled up. Tangled Up in Blue and Visions of Johanna on the other hand, though both long, were relatively easy as there’s little repetition going on and the verses are longer so it’s harder to skip parts.

I’ve learnt about fifty Dylan songs without need for chord/lyrics sheet since I started learning guitar eight months ago.

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 19:19 GMT 

wormington wrote:
Oh, right. Might have been Cant help falling in love, then.
My memory sure is crap

Refresh your memory mate!

:arrow: Cant help falling in love! https://youtu.be/iay-eBwWTP8?t=1041

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 19:34 GMT 

foxy wrote:
I’ve learnt about fifty Dylan songs without need for chord/lyrics sheet since I started learning guitar eight months ago.

Sure, but can you do them in pig Latin with a Quebecois accent in drop D tuning, underwater?

PostPosted: Thu March 15th, 2018, 19:47 GMT 

mojofilter wrote:
foxy wrote:

Sure, but can you do them in pig Latin with a Quebecois accent in drop D tuning, underwater?

Alas, no. I can perform them reasonably well in the style of William Shatner if that appeals? Shatner From the Storm is an unreleased masterpiece. :wink: